“convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
Nuremberg, Germany
“convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Good and quite place outside the CBD of Nairobi. Friendly and helpful staff. The best is the garden area. The breakfast buffet is good, the restaurant average but there are many restaurant options close by

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us and more so for having chosen Jacaranda Nairobi as your preferred Hotel during your last visit to Nairobi.
I am delighted to note your review and your positive compliments on our food, Staff and our gardens. Our promise to our guests has been to provide them with a unique Kenyan experience and I am glad to note that our staff were helpful during your stay; and I have shared the same with my entire team who are equally elated to learn that their efforts have been recognized.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel during your next visit to Nairobi.

With Kind Warm Regards

Margaret Maingi,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel has a good ambience,food and pool.
Though one thing that irritates me about it, is the service around the pool area is very poor. Food is always delayed over an hour. Any request normally goes unheard or again delayed.
All in all,they really need to improve their service.

Stayed January 2015
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Sinclair S,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback from your last visit and for choosing Jacaranda as your preferred hotel.
We appreciate your positive review about our hotel’s ambience, the food and swimming pool and I have shared this with the entire team who are equally elated.

However, I have also taken note of your concern regarding the speed of service at our pool restaurant. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the entire team and we regret for not meeting your expectations during your last patronage at the pool restaurant. I have had a meeting with my food and beverage manager together with our executive chef in which a number of corrective measures have been discussed and I am happy to inform you that since we began implementing the same, we have continued to receive very positive comments from our guests. I will be glad to host you for a meal the next time you are in town for you to experience the difference. Please let me know.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Kind Regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights and can't really complain about too much. Although they overbooked the first night and we had to be moved to another hotel, they were very apologetic and the alternative lodging was very nice. The rooms have everything you really need - satellite tv, room service, bath and shower, safe, etc. There are 2 things that stood out for me: 1) The gym was outstanding! It had every piece of equipment needed and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. 2) The was a wide variety of food at breakfast - something for everyone. If I had to complain about one thing, it would be the noise level - e.g. shouting, sweeping and clanging bags at late/early hours (luckily I can sleep through this but my colleague had a tough time with this!). The wifi in my room worked perfectly, but once again my colleague had difficulty getting signal and had to stand in the corridor to get connection - luck of the draw on where your room is I guess! The location is very central and convenient - close to nice restaurants and Sarit shopping centre. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear lol _hargs,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for choosing Jacaranda as your preferred hotel during your last visit to Nairobi.
While we are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, I want to personally express my sincere apologies regarding the overbooking that resulted in you being accommodated in a different hotel on the first night. I have addressed this with my front office manager and his reservations team who have been advised on how to avert this in future.
We have taken note of your comments about our Gym and we are delighted that it met your expectations. Please find time next time to try our spa therapies with special offers. I have also shared your review about our breakfast with the chef who has also expressed his appreciation for your review.

I am sorry that your colleague had trouble getting the Wi-Fi signal and had to do so in the corridor. My IT manager has informed me that he made a follow up with our service provider who acknowledged that the intermittent signal loss during that time was occasioned by a fault on their side which had not been communicated to us. Please note that the hotel provides cable network and portable modems as an alternative should the Wi-Fi signal fail and this should have been availed by the reception.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Kind Regards,

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

Stayed for 10 days at this hotel. I did not expect much from a three star african hotel so I was quite satisfied with quality though I also have nothing to compare with.
The best part of this hotel is its staff. All personnel were very nice and really helpful. They always responded to all my requests even if some of them were against their internal rules. Amenities are quite good. The hotel has an open swimming pool, gym and spa. For rooms and hotel territory please see the pictures.
Breakfast is fine: it has options both for african and european tastes. Food quality a la carte and for room service were unsatisfactory: you can eat it if you are hungry but it is not delicious at all and too much salt in all dishes.
Wi-Fi is another weak point of the hotel. It is really a disaster. It may disappear every ten minutes and be off for hours.
There is an old shopping mall just around the corner (Sarit centre). It has a pharmacy, a supermarket, a cafe with american style food, several ATMs and bunch of other shops.
Taxis are availabe at the hotel 24 hours.

Room Tip: don't stay at rooms near the gym, they have loud music in the gym every morning and evening
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback about our property and I appreciate you for taking your time to share your experience during your stay with us.

I am happy to note your positive feedback about our staff who went an extra mile to ensure that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our room amenities met your expectations. I have shared your compliments about our breakfast with my chef who has passed this to his team and they are very delighted that their efforts have been recognized. Equally, I have had a meeting with the chef and our food and beverage manager regarding the standards in our room service section. I am sorry that our menu did not meet your expectations and I have taken it upon myself to ensure that this is overhauled and service improved. Please feel free to place an order the next time you visit and let me know your feedback.

Regarding WI FI, please accept my apology for the inconsistent signal strength during your stay. We however established later that there was a major fault from our service provider during that period which has since been fixed and the WI FI signal is at its best currently. None the less, we recognize the magnitude of this failure and while we apologize, I would like to inform you that we went ahead and acquired a number of portable devices that are provided by the hotel at no charge in the event the problem recurs.

Thank you once more and I look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

With Warm Regards

Margaret Maingi,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

Stayed here 5 nights. The rooms are decent and so is the service.

However, the fittings in the bathroom seem quite old. Had to let the water run for about 10 minutes until there was hot water. At times hot water wasn't even available. Water from the AC would drip every morning.

The restaurant and breakfast buffet are quite good.

Even then, this hotel is definitely overpriced.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2014
Dear Swati N,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your last stay with us.
I am happy to note your positive compliments about our staff and the room. Am however sorry that the fittings in the bathroom did not meet your expectations and equally sorry about the trouble you went through with the hot water. Please note that this is not representative of our facilities and I want to assure you that I have had our hotel engineer work on the same and I can inform you that the problem has since been fixed. I have also shared your comments about our breakfast with my chef and he is very delighted.
Regarding the room rate, I understand your concern but I would like to point out that we have been running a special rate since the beginning of October and I checked with our front office manager who confirmed that indeed this is the rate you were offered. However, let me know when your next visit will be so that we can work out something for you.
Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi during your next visit to Kenya.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The 1970s design is a really attractive features. However, I would say that there were some things I did not like. I did not feel welcome. Overall I think it was overpriced: $165 for one night.

1. It had a very post-colonial feel to it.
2. Upon arrival they wanted me to pay up front. My cards were instantly cancelled and after a 10 hour flight, plus travel time, it is not exactly what you want to hassle with -- They made me pay cash and told me they would return the money the next day or when my credit card payment went through. They refused to repay my cash the next day, which was a serious inconvenience.
3. The restaurant had the feel about it that they would prefer we weren't there -- the dinner was great -- vegetable packets in phyllo with vegetables, but it took forever and we were the only people there. The morning breakfast is a buffet, but the food was not good.
4. No nets over the beds or at least screens on the windows.
5. The porters and cleaners were very helpful and friendly, but the front desk staff and the restaurant staff were not.
6. The wifi was down most of the time in the room, which was a major hassle due to having to contact my bank about the cancelled credit card. When I called down to reception about it they asked when I was going to go to sleep.
It is close to a mall where we were able to get SIM cards and other essentials.

Room Tip: I don't know what to suggest. My room was good, but I can't remember the number. It overlook...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Dear Maus D,

Thank you for your informative review on our hotel.
I would like to thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Nairobi during your last visit to Kenya but am however sorry that your experience with us did not meet your expectations and having gone through your feedback, I also want to thank you for taking your time to post this important review.
I have gone through your review once more with my team and they feel very sorry too, that our service reached this level on that particular day. Please rest assured that I am addressing each and every concern raised in your review beginning with your experience at the reception, the restaurant and the Wi-Fi fluctuation. I have held a meeting with both the Front Office Manager and the Food and Beverage Manager whom I have tasked to ensure that everything is fixed to expectation.
But regarding the insistence that you pay upfront, our hotel policy requires that you make payments at check-in hence the request by the receptionist on duty, but I have spoken to the Front Office Manager on the need to allow the Duty Manager make the final decision in a case such as yours when you checked-in. I believe this should have been handled differently, and once again apologize.
I am glad also to learn that some of our staff – Porters and Cleaners – were very helpful and friendly though you could not observe the same on our reception and restaurant team members. We have embarked on training our staff on this front and we expect a changed attitude the next time you visit though I am sorry that our team did not exhibit the customer care service you expected.
Our WiFi has been very stable for a long time now and I have asked our IT manager to check on what might have caused the fluctuation during the period when you stayed with us.
I am grateful for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

Marburg, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way from the Masai Mara to Amboseli. It was a Saturday night and there was loud music coming from the hotel bar/disco all night until way past 4 a.m. making it unable to get any sleep or rest. This must have affected all the rooms from the way the setup is. Breakfast was a buffet which offered many choices and of which I have no complaints. The rooms are ok to stay in, however nothing special. I was not happy with the location as it is quite far away from the main tourist attractions which means long and strenous drives as the traffic in Nairobi is insane even on weekends. You can definitely stay here, especially if it is a short stay, but I am sure you can find something more convenient and without the noise at night.

Room Tip: As far away from the bar as possible.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mja1810,

Thank you for taking your time to give us this valuable feedback about our property and facilities.
Please receive our sincere apologies regarding the high noise levels experienced during your last stay with us while on your safari from Mara to Amboseli. Indeed this is not representative of our service and I would like to bring to your attention that we have a club close by who opened just recently hence the unpredictable noise levels. We have however had a good relationship with the club’s management in the past and they have always adhered to our requests to keep the music volume at manageable levels. I am very sorry that on this particular day, there was a lapse in coordinating this leading to the inconvenience caused by the high music volumes. I have taken this up with my team and I want to assure you that necessary measures have been put in place to address this.

Am also happy to inform you that as part our lasting solution to this, our directors have approved the commencement of double glazing of our windows and doors and the contractor is to begin working on this soon. I passed your comments about our breakfast to Chef and his team who are very delighted to hear the positive feedback from you. I know they will do even better in future.

Regarding your concern about our location in relation to proximity to tourist attractions, I would like to assure you that our location offers the best access point to most attraction sites in Nairobi. The Kenya National Museum is less than 5 minutes away and access to other sites is made easier by our connectivity to quite a number of major roads and one does not need to go through town. Please let me know the next time you are in town so that we can meet and give you directions on this.

We thank you once more and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

Margaret Maingi

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!