“Pleasant stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for 7 nights and can't really complain about too much. Although they overbooked the first night and we had to be moved to another hotel, they were very apologetic and the alternative lodging was very nice. The rooms have everything you really need - satellite tv, room service, bath and shower, safe, etc. There are 2 things that stood out for me: 1) The gym was outstanding! It had every piece of equipment needed and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. 2) The was a wide variety of food at breakfast - something for everyone. If I had to complain about one thing, it would be the noise level - e.g. shouting, sweeping and clanging bags at late/early hours (luckily I can sleep through this but my colleague had a tough time with this!). The wifi in my room worked perfectly, but once again my colleague had difficulty getting signal and had to stand in the corridor to get connection - luck of the draw on where your room is I guess! The location is very central and convenient - close to nice restaurants and Sarit shopping centre. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for 10 days at this hotel. I did not expect much from a three star african hotel so I was quite satisfied with quality though I also have nothing to compare with.
The best part of this hotel is its staff. All personnel were very nice and really helpful. They always responded to all my requests even if some of them were against their internal rules. Amenities are quite good. The hotel has an open swimming pool, gym and spa. For rooms and hotel territory please see the pictures.
Breakfast is fine: it has options both for african and european tastes. Food quality a la carte and for room service were unsatisfactory: you can eat it if you are hungry but it is not delicious at all and too much salt in all dishes.
Wi-Fi is another weak point of the hotel. It is really a disaster. It may disappear every ten minutes and be off for hours.
There is an old shopping mall just around the corner (Sarit centre). It has a pharmacy, a supermarket, a cafe with american style food, several ATMs and bunch of other shops.
Taxis are availabe at the hotel 24 hours.

Room Tip: don't stay at rooms near the gym, they have loud music in the gym every morning and evening
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback about our property and I appreciate you for taking your time to share your experience during your stay with us.

I am happy to note your positive feedback about our staff who went an extra mile to ensure that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our room amenities met your expectations. I have shared your compliments about our breakfast with my chef who has passed this to his team and they are very delighted that their efforts have been recognized. Equally, I have had a meeting with the chef and our food and beverage manager regarding the standards in our room service section. I am sorry that our menu did not meet your expectations and I have taken it upon myself to ensure that this is overhauled and service improved. Please feel free to place an order the next time you visit and let me know your feedback.

Regarding WI FI, please accept my apology for the inconsistent signal strength during your stay. We however established later that there was a major fault from our service provider during that period which has since been fixed and the WI FI signal is at its best currently. None the less, we recognize the magnitude of this failure and while we apologize, I would like to inform you that we went ahead and acquired a number of portable devices that are provided by the hotel at no charge in the event the problem recurs.

Thank you once more and I look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

With Warm Regards

Margaret Maingi,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

Stayed here 5 nights. The rooms are decent and so is the service.

However, the fittings in the bathroom seem quite old. Had to let the water run for about 10 minutes until there was hot water. At times hot water wasn't even available. Water from the AC would drip every morning.

The restaurant and breakfast buffet are quite good.

Even then, this hotel is definitely overpriced.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2014
Dear Swati N,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your last stay with us.
I am happy to note your positive compliments about our staff and the room. Am however sorry that the fittings in the bathroom did not meet your expectations and equally sorry about the trouble you went through with the hot water. Please note that this is not representative of our facilities and I want to assure you that I have had our hotel engineer work on the same and I can inform you that the problem has since been fixed. I have also shared your comments about our breakfast with my chef and he is very delighted.
Regarding the room rate, I understand your concern but I would like to point out that we have been running a special rate since the beginning of October and I checked with our front office manager who confirmed that indeed this is the rate you were offered. However, let me know when your next visit will be so that we can work out something for you.
Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi during your next visit to Kenya.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The 1970s design is a really attractive features. However, I would say that there were some things I did not like. I did not feel welcome. Overall I think it was overpriced: $165 for one night.

1. It had a very post-colonial feel to it.
2. Upon arrival they wanted me to pay up front. My cards were instantly cancelled and after a 10 hour flight, plus travel time, it is not exactly what you want to hassle with -- They made me pay cash and told me they would return the money the next day or when my credit card payment went through. They refused to repay my cash the next day, which was a serious inconvenience.
3. The restaurant had the feel about it that they would prefer we weren't there -- the dinner was great -- vegetable packets in phyllo with vegetables, but it took forever and we were the only people there. The morning breakfast is a buffet, but the food was not good.
4. No nets over the beds or at least screens on the windows.
5. The porters and cleaners were very helpful and friendly, but the front desk staff and the restaurant staff were not.
6. The wifi was down most of the time in the room, which was a major hassle due to having to contact my bank about the cancelled credit card. When I called down to reception about it they asked when I was going to go to sleep.
It is close to a mall where we were able to get SIM cards and other essentials.

Room Tip: I don't know what to suggest. My room was good, but I can't remember the number. It overlook...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Dear Maus D,

Thank you for your informative review on our hotel.
I would like to thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Nairobi during your last visit to Kenya but am however sorry that your experience with us did not meet your expectations and having gone through your feedback, I also want to thank you for taking your time to post this important review.
I have gone through your review once more with my team and they feel very sorry too, that our service reached this level on that particular day. Please rest assured that I am addressing each and every concern raised in your review beginning with your experience at the reception, the restaurant and the Wi-Fi fluctuation. I have held a meeting with both the Front Office Manager and the Food and Beverage Manager whom I have tasked to ensure that everything is fixed to expectation.
But regarding the insistence that you pay upfront, our hotel policy requires that you make payments at check-in hence the request by the receptionist on duty, but I have spoken to the Front Office Manager on the need to allow the Duty Manager make the final decision in a case such as yours when you checked-in. I believe this should have been handled differently, and once again apologize.
I am glad also to learn that some of our staff – Porters and Cleaners – were very helpful and friendly though you could not observe the same on our reception and restaurant team members. We have embarked on training our staff on this front and we expect a changed attitude the next time you visit though I am sorry that our team did not exhibit the customer care service you expected.
Our WiFi has been very stable for a long time now and I have asked our IT manager to check on what might have caused the fluctuation during the period when you stayed with us.
I am grateful for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

Marburg, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way from the Masai Mara to Amboseli. It was a Saturday night and there was loud music coming from the hotel bar/disco all night until way past 4 a.m. making it unable to get any sleep or rest. This must have affected all the rooms from the way the setup is. Breakfast was a buffet which offered many choices and of which I have no complaints. The rooms are ok to stay in, however nothing special. I was not happy with the location as it is quite far away from the main tourist attractions which means long and strenous drives as the traffic in Nairobi is insane even on weekends. You can definitely stay here, especially if it is a short stay, but I am sure you can find something more convenient and without the noise at night.

Room Tip: As far away from the bar as possible.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mja1810,

Thank you for taking your time to give us this valuable feedback about our property and facilities.
Please receive our sincere apologies regarding the high noise levels experienced during your last stay with us while on your safari from Mara to Amboseli. Indeed this is not representative of our service and I would like to bring to your attention that we have a club close by who opened just recently hence the unpredictable noise levels. We have however had a good relationship with the club’s management in the past and they have always adhered to our requests to keep the music volume at manageable levels. I am very sorry that on this particular day, there was a lapse in coordinating this leading to the inconvenience caused by the high music volumes. I have taken this up with my team and I want to assure you that necessary measures have been put in place to address this.

Am also happy to inform you that as part our lasting solution to this, our directors have approved the commencement of double glazing of our windows and doors and the contractor is to begin working on this soon. I passed your comments about our breakfast to Chef and his team who are very delighted to hear the positive feedback from you. I know they will do even better in future.

Regarding your concern about our location in relation to proximity to tourist attractions, I would like to assure you that our location offers the best access point to most attraction sites in Nairobi. The Kenya National Museum is less than 5 minutes away and access to other sites is made easier by our connectivity to quite a number of major roads and one does not need to go through town. Please let me know the next time you are in town so that we can meet and give you directions on this.

We thank you once more and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Jacaranda bookending our visit to the Mara. The first night the room was small, dingy carpet. A little humid. Worst of all my friend found a long hair (not ours) in her bed. We were not pleased. The sink drained really, really, slowly. Then to make the toilet flush, we had to figure out the specific maneuvers and then execute them with swiss watch precision. It was a pull up and to the left, then push in and down simultaneously. Or something like that. Not pleasant. The bed was too too soft. Like laying on pillow case filled with socks and cotton balls. Plus the room was within earshot of a nearby club which apparently stays open very, very late. Kind of noisy at night. So, needless to say we were not looking forward to our last night's stay there. But the room was slightly better. Tiled floor, toilet that you could flush without consulting a diagram. Nicer view of pool area (which is nice). It was quiet at night on this side too. But another hair in friend's bed. Again. Not ours! shower curtain in both rooms was dingy and water pressure questionable. Wore shower shoes at all time. Can only speak for breakfast. Was good enough. I enjoyed some things. Others.... Staff was very nice. Tried to be helpful. Though they did not seem to be as familiar with local attractions as one might expect. They were confused about which museum we wanted to visit though we had an address to show them. Maybe they just did not want us to go to the other one? Anyway, I would research other places before staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask to not be on side where you can hear music from nearby club. Try to get view of swimming pool a...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2014
Dear Chgofilmfan,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review about our property and facilities.
First and foremost, may I express our sincere apology about your experience during your first stay with us while on your way to Mara last month. We have taken note of all your comments about the size of the room, the state of the carpet and the struggle you endured to flush the toilet. I have shared all these with the entire team and our executive housekeeper in particular who was very much touched about the presence of hair in your friend’s bed and would like to assure you that this has since been addressed. We are very sorry that you got to experience the noise from our neighboring club. However, the hotel takes cognizance of this and I am happy to inform you that plans to sound proof our rooms by double glazing the doors and windows is to begin soon.

We have always endeavored to ensure that our guests get a taste of our unique Kenyan experience and that their moments with us become memorable. Am very sorry that we let you and your friend down during this trip and would like to assure you that this is not representative of our well known service. Please note that we have taken your review seriously and necessary corrective measures put in place to address all areas that you have mentioned.

I have noted that your second stay was improved slightly but I know it could have been better. We are pleased however to know that our staff were helpful and that our breakfast met your expectations.

Thank you once again for your feedback and request that you to give us a second chance to serve you and show you our improvements in a number of areas that will make your stay even more memorable.

Emmanuel Nasila
Front Office Manager
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

Nice cozy place with all the possible comfort. rooms are small but good contains all the facilities, good resturant and Spa. Staff were very friendly and they all speak english and willing to help you.

Room Tip: Hotel is situated within a closed compound and property is G+1, there for each room will give you al...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2014
Dear Nirmalendu M,

Thank you for the good review on our property and facilities. We are happy to note that we met your expectations and that our staff were friendly. I have taken note of your positive comments about our restaurant and Spa and shared the same with the entire team who are equally delighted to note that they did a good job.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Warm Regards,

Emmanuel Nasila
Front Office Manager

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!