“Overpriced for what they offer” 3 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #44 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Overpriced for what they offer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here 5 nights. The rooms are decent and so is the service.

However, the fittings in the bathroom seem quite old. Had to let the water run for about 10 minutes until there was hot water. At times hot water wasn't even available. Water from the AC would drip every morning.

The restaurant and breakfast buffet are quite good.

Even then, this hotel is definitely overpriced.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Swati N,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your last stay with us.
I am happy to note your positive compliments about our staff and the room. Am however sorry that the fittings in the bathroom did not meet your expectations and equally sorry about the trouble you went through with the hot water. Please note that this is not representative of our facilities and I want to assure you that I have had our hotel engineer work on the same and I can inform you that the problem has since been fixed. I have also shared your comments about our breakfast with my chef and he is very delighted.
Regarding the room rate, I understand your concern but I would like to point out that we have been running a special rate since the beginning of October and I checked with our front office manager who confirmed that indeed this is the rate you were offered. However, let me know when your next visit will be so that we can work out something for you.
Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi during your next visit to Kenya.

Margaret Maingi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The 1970s design is a really attractive features. However, I would say that there were some things I did not like. I did not feel welcome. Overall I think it was overpriced: $165 for one night.

1. It had a very post-colonial feel to it.
2. Upon arrival they wanted me to pay up front. My cards were instantly cancelled and after a 10 hour flight, plus travel time, it is not exactly what you want to hassle with -- They made me pay cash and told me they would return the money the next day or when my credit card payment went through. They refused to repay my cash the next day, which was a serious inconvenience.
3. The restaurant had the feel about it that they would prefer we weren't there -- the dinner was great -- vegetable packets in phyllo with vegetables, but it took forever and we were the only people there. The morning breakfast is a buffet, but the food was not good.
4. No nets over the beds or at least screens on the windows.
5. The porters and cleaners were very helpful and friendly, but the front desk staff and the restaurant staff were not.
6. The wifi was down most of the time in the room, which was a major hassle due to having to contact my bank about the cancelled credit card. When I called down to reception about it they asked when I was going to go to sleep.
It is close to a mall where we were able to get SIM cards and other essentials.

Room Tip: I don't know what to suggest. My room was good, but I can't remember the number. It overlook...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, General Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Maus D,

Thank you for your informative review on our hotel.
I would like to thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Nairobi during your last visit to Kenya but am however sorry that your experience with us did not meet your expectations and having gone through your feedback, I also want to thank you for taking your time to post this important review.
I have gone through your review once more with my team and they feel very sorry too, that our service reached this level on that particular day. Please rest assured that I am addressing each and every concern raised in your review beginning with your experience at the reception, the restaurant and the Wi-Fi fluctuation. I have held a meeting with both the Front Office Manager and the Food and Beverage Manager whom I have tasked to ensure that everything is fixed to expectation.
But regarding the insistence that you pay upfront, our hotel policy requires that you make payments at check-in hence the request by the receptionist on duty, but I have spoken to the Front Office Manager on the need to allow the Duty Manager make the final decision in a case such as yours when you checked-in. I believe this should have been handled differently, and once again apologize.
I am glad also to learn that some of our staff – Porters and Cleaners – were very helpful and friendly though you could not observe the same on our reception and restaurant team members. We have embarked on training our staff on this front and we expect a changed attitude the next time you visit though I am sorry that our team did not exhibit the customer care service you expected.
Our WiFi has been very stable for a long time now and I have asked our IT manager to check on what might have caused the fluctuation during the period when you stayed with us.
I am grateful for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

Marburg, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way from the Masai Mara to Amboseli. It was a Saturday night and there was loud music coming from the hotel bar/disco all night until way past 4 a.m. making it unable to get any sleep or rest. This must have affected all the rooms from the way the setup is. Breakfast was a buffet which offered many choices and of which I have no complaints. The rooms are ok to stay in, however nothing special. I was not happy with the location as it is quite far away from the main tourist attractions which means long and strenous drives as the traffic in Nairobi is insane even on weekends. You can definitely stay here, especially if it is a short stay, but I am sure you can find something more convenient and without the noise at night.

Room Tip: As far away from the bar as possible.
Dear Mja1810,

Thank you for taking your time to give us this valuable feedback about our property and facilities.
Please receive our sincere apologies regarding the high noise levels experienced during your last stay with us while on your safari from Mara to Amboseli. Indeed this is not representative of our service and I would like to bring to your attention that we have a club close by who opened just recently hence the unpredictable noise levels. We have however had a good relationship with the club’s management in the past and they have always adhered to our requests to keep the music volume at manageable levels. I am very sorry that on this particular day, there was a lapse in coordinating this leading to the inconvenience caused by the high music volumes. I have taken this up with my team and I want to assure you that necessary measures have been put in place to address this.

Am also happy to inform you that as part our lasting solution to this, our directors have approved the commencement of double glazing of our windows and doors and the contractor is to begin working on this soon. I passed your comments about our breakfast to Chef and his team who are very delighted to hear the positive feedback from you. I know they will do even better in future.

Regarding your concern about our location in relation to proximity to tourist attractions, I would like to assure you that our location offers the best access point to most attraction sites in Nairobi. The Kenya National Museum is less than 5 minutes away and access to other sites is made easier by our connectivity to quite a number of major roads and one does not need to go through town. Please let me know the next time you are in town so that we can meet and give you directions on this.

We thank you once more and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel.

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Jacaranda bookending our visit to the Mara. The first night the room was small, dingy carpet. A little humid. Worst of all my friend found a long hair (not ours) in her bed. We were not pleased. The sink drained really, really, slowly. Then to make the toilet flush, we had to figure out the specific maneuvers and then execute them with swiss watch precision. It was a pull up and to the left, then push in and down simultaneously. Or something like that. Not pleasant. The bed was too too soft. Like laying on pillow case filled with socks and cotton balls. Plus the room was within earshot of a nearby club which apparently stays open very, very late. Kind of noisy at night. So, needless to say we were not looking forward to our last night's stay there. But the room was slightly better. Tiled floor, toilet that you could flush without consulting a diagram. Nicer view of pool area (which is nice). It was quiet at night on this side too. But another hair in friend's bed. Again. Not ours! shower curtain in both rooms was dingy and water pressure questionable. Wore shower shoes at all time. Can only speak for breakfast. Was good enough. I enjoyed some things. Others.... Staff was very nice. Tried to be helpful. Though they did not seem to be as familiar with local attractions as one might expect. They were confused about which museum we wanted to visit though we had an address to show them. Maybe they just did not want us to go to the other one? Anyway, I would research other places before staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask to not be on side where you can hear music from nearby club. Try to get view of swimming pool a...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2014
Dear Chgofilmfan,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review about our property and facilities.
First and foremost, may I express our sincere apology about your experience during your first stay with us while on your way to Mara last month. We have taken note of all your comments about the size of the room, the state of the carpet and the struggle you endured to flush the toilet. I have shared all these with the entire team and our executive housekeeper in particular who was very much touched about the presence of hair in your friend’s bed and would like to assure you that this has since been addressed. We are very sorry that you got to experience the noise from our neighboring club. However, the hotel takes cognizance of this and I am happy to inform you that plans to sound proof our rooms by double glazing the doors and windows is to begin soon.

We have always endeavored to ensure that our guests get a taste of our unique Kenyan experience and that their moments with us become memorable. Am very sorry that we let you and your friend down during this trip and would like to assure you that this is not representative of our well known service. Please note that we have taken your review seriously and necessary corrective measures put in place to address all areas that you have mentioned.

I have noted that your second stay was improved slightly but I know it could have been better. We are pleased however to know that our staff were helpful and that our breakfast met your expectations.

Thank you once again for your feedback and request that you to give us a second chance to serve you and show you our improvements in a number of areas that will make your stay even more memorable.

Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

Nice cozy place with all the possible comfort. rooms are small but good contains all the facilities, good resturant and Spa. Staff were very friendly and they all speak english and willing to help you.

Room Tip: Hotel is situated within a closed compound and property is G+1, there for each room will give you al...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2014
Dear Nirmalendu M,

Thank you for the good review on our property and facilities. We are happy to note that we met your expectations and that our staff were friendly. I have taken note of your positive comments about our restaurant and Spa and shared the same with the entire team who are equally delighted to note that they did a good job.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Warm Regards,

Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

I spent one night in this hotel during my holidays in Kenya. It's a nice hotel, all the staff where friendly. I really apreciate having free wifi where you are far from home, that was a really nice surprise for me.

Dear e_garcia2013,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for choosing Jacaranda as your preferred hotel during your last visit to Nairobi.
We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff were friendly. Equally, it is great to note that you got to enjoy our high speed internet facility and I want to assure you that it is currently the talk of our guests who have rated our WI –Fi highly.

With Kind Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

5 nights stay and I enjoyed all on offer. The rooms are large, bright and have an airy feel to them. You have free wifi pretty much everywhere in the rooms, restaurant, cafe and garden areas which is very handy indeed. The staff are truly great and are always on hand to help you. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I do hope to return again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
Dear Lawdit,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about our property and facilities and we I appreciate your commitment in taking time to share your experience during your stay with us.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and that our Wi-Fi was perfect during your entire stay. We have noted yours positive comments about our staff which I have shared with my colleagues. We look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi, and should you need assistance with your future bookings please let me know.

With Kind Regards,

Front Office Manager

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!