“Good, decent value for money hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #44 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
mumbai
“Good, decent value for money hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Jacaranda during our recent visit to Nairobi.
The hotel is located close to the centre of the city.
It certainly is not an ultra luxurious hotel by any means but with its old world charm & beautiful layout, it is certainly one of the hotel where one would like to stay. The rooms were compact but well appointed and clean. The bathroom was also spacious with a bathing tub and good toiletries. However, the water was very hard due to which it is a battle to rinse off soap & shampoo.
The room had an electric kettle along with all ingredients necessary for making tea and/or coffee.
The hotel offers complimentary breakfast.
The breakfast was very sumptuous with a wide spread for both vegetarians & non vegetarians.
It has a good swimming pool & nice garden.
Overall, a nice hotel to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are more or less same
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear ShaiShaw,

Thank you for taking your time to write such an amazing review about our property. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel layout appealing. We have endeavored to ensure that our guests leave with satisfaction that they got value for their money and we are pleased to note your comment about this. Our chef has also embarked on upgrading our menu and he is happy to learn that you appreciated our breakfast.

I have also noted your comments about our water too and would like to assure you that this is being looked in to by the hotel engineering team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon, to sample the same.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Being an event/meeting coordinator, sometimes it is difficult to please all. However, having held a meeting at the hotel for 2 weeks all i needed to do was to be specific on my requirements and left the rest to the hotel. They did not disappoint. The staff was very helpful and always available. From the askaris, the front desk, the waiters, the chef - all. The rooms are neat and comfortable. The room toilets though could do with some upgrade to ensure no unpleasant damp smell after use. The banqueting and conferencing managers were very flexible to adjust the menus to suit the range of international participants that we were hosting for the dinners and cocktail receptions. We had a few participants who came with their infants and the hotel gladly provided a baby minder who was simply superb with the babies. This was a sure plus for the hotel. Very appreciated by the mothers who managed to attend the intensive course without any worries. The concerned staff even paid me a visit after the event to ensure that the bills and invoices are correct and accurate. I am a happy, well served client and i would definitely recommend the hotel for those who wish to exprerience stress free events organisation. We were all very well taken care of.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, with a peaceful view of the swimming pool and away from the main road stretch
Dear Jacquie M,

Thank you for the good review on our property and facilities. We are delighted to note that we met your expectations and that our staff were helpful. It was indeed a great honor to accord us an opportunity to host such an important team with diverse backgrounds and I have shared your comments with the entire team who are equally happy to note that they did a good job. While we strive to make your next visit even more memorable, we have taken measures to address the anomaly in our toilets and I am happy to inform you that the problem has since been fixed.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Warm Regards,

Diani Beach, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I am staying at the Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi each time I am traveling to our capital, this is for 4 years now at least 3-4 times per year. This time staying for 11 nights, we were welcomed by a Guest Relations Manager who introduced briefly the facilities of the hotel, I liked this new touch, although surely would have been nice if they would have known that I am a regular guest to the hotel. I know the rooms so I know what to expect, I always have a room on the 2nd floor with tiled floors and decent furniture, very clean, the bathrooms are all the same in each room, not spectacular but enough space for your toiletries, big mirror and bathtub/shower. The staff is just great! From the Askaris who welcome you home when you enter the hotel to the door man with his huge smile and welcoming look, the recepionists who are just super friendly and helpful, the laundrist who picks the laundry personally from your room and inspects the tags and gives you advise on how to pick the right treatment again to the enthusiastic housekeepers and finally to the service staff in the breakfast restaurant! They all seem to be well taken care of and happy! This was not always like that during earlier visits! So someone must do something right here now. Yes, the Jacaranda is not a super modern, new, shiny hotel in Nairobis hotel scene and they have to deal with massive competition lately BUT if you are looking for a comfortable, safe, green and friendly place to stay in Westlands which is affordable on top you will be right here. I am always impressed of all the meetings which are taking place here, whenever I stayed the meeting rooms were booked! Beautiful, peaceful gardens with bar and swimming pool available as well. One little thing I find a bit questionable though is, that they charge you room service fee even if you ask for 2 empty wine glasses or a bucket of ice cubes - something to think about whether this is really necessary or whether this should be just service. Other than that ... thumbs up!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us during your last visit to Nairobi and it has always been our pleasure to serve you. And we are very grateful that you took your time to review our property and facilities.

I have noted your positive comments about our staff and the general efficiencies of our hotel and facilities which I have shared with the team. They are equally delighted that we met your expectations and will always strive to do even better next time. Your comments about our amenities have been noted with concern and I would like to share with you that the management through the support of our owners are embarking on a major facelift of the property to match, if not exceed our guests expectations. This will see most of our rooms being upgraded with better amenities put in place and improvements in our food and beverage sections are planned too.

And as you rightly observed, we embarked on a staff development program which has seen our team equipped with the necessary skills to serve our guests better. We are very happy that you noticed a difference. Guest briefing and introduction to our facilities is part of this but I strongly agree with you that being our regular guest, this information might not have been necessary. I will ensure that this lapse is addressed to avoid a repeat of the same in future. We have also noted your preferences and promise to deliver on the same when you come back.

I shared your concern about our room service charges with our food and beverage manager who has since reviewed this policy and I am sure the measures put in place will work for you better in future. Please feel free to share with us your experience on room service during your next stay.

I thank you once more for taking time to review our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Ukunda, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

It might not be the ultra luxury and modern kind of place, but its old charme is quite pleasant. The rooms don't really have state of the art features and furnitures, but they are quite cosy and very clean. Bed is comfortable with a nice firm mattress, but in the cold season a duvet would be appreciated. Bathroom is good, if not for the water,a bit too hard, resulting in a long battle to rinse off soap & shampoo (ladies with long hair, good luck).
Wifi in the room (at least ours) not strong enough, in the common areas ok.
Breakfast good with a nice variety of food.
Garden and pool area very nice, serene and cosy.
The staff is simply lovely, helpful and always ready to welcome you with a genuine, warm smile! So even if they shouldn't call your room or knock on your door before 9 am, you can't really get annoyed ;-)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi and for taking your valuable time to review our property and facilities during your recent stay with us.

We are happy to note your positive feedback about our breakfast and I have shared the same with our Chef together with his team who are equally delighted to hear this. Through our policy and Chef’s effort, we have seen a steady improvement in our menu in terms of variety with a lot of guest satisfaction noted and this can only be better in future. I have passed your complements about our staff to my team who will share the same with them.

I have also noted your comments about our room amenities, the bathroom and the water which might not have met your expectations and would want to assure you that these are being addressed. Regarding Wi-Fi, I am sorry that the strength was poor in your room during your stay and you had to rely on other spots. Our service provider had been experiencing some challenges then which have since been resolved and our guests are now enjoying very high speed internet connectivity and our IT team will ensure that this remains so.

Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Hotel located in a decent part of Nairobi in well secured and somewhat neat and inviting compound, very promising as you walk in. Staff polite and helpful.

Unfortunately, the rooms are pretty old, bland, and poorly furnished. Uncomfortably thin mattress cushioning, bathroom towels that leave lint all over your body, dated and cheap-looking furniture, very poor TV, no room safe, etc. Noisy at night with a nearby club blasting music. No internet whatsoever (the 'free internet' is false advertising). This hotel is basically a Motel 6, with the facade and ego (and pricing) of a Marriott.

There are much better places nearby in the price range of this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in any other hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive review.
We are glad to note your positive comments about our hotel’s location and the compound. We are equally delighted that our staff were polite and helpful during your stay and I have shared this with the entire team who are quite happy about your feedback.

We have taken note of your concerns regarding the state of the hotel and I want to assure you that most of the issues raised are being addressed. Plans for the hotel’s facelift are at an advanced stage and a major refurbishment is scheduled to begin any time from next month. This will see a number of improvements on most facilities in the property and I promise you a better experience during your next stay. We are very sorry about the experience you had with our bathroom towels and the TV. Regarding the safe deposit in your room, I want to assure you that all our rooms have electronic safes in the closet but would like to apologize for not being made aware of the same by my team.
Given the business potential in our location, most businesses have moved to the locality with one night club close to the hotel. It is however in our plans to double glaze all our room doors and windows to minimize on the noise levels. During the month of June, our Wi Fi strength was intermittently affected by frequent vandalism of fibre cables for our service provider. This has since been resolved and our guests are enjoying high speed internet connectivity but we are none the less sorry that you could not access the internet then.

I once again thank you for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Warm regards,
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

First time at this hotel on business in Nairobi. Stayed about a week. First, good points: STAFF! These people are fabulous - always professional, helpful, genuine smiles, and exceedingly polite!. The daily breakfast had a nice variety of food and options. Free wifi throughout that works relative well and with limited interruptions. It is located near Sarit Centre in Westlands - plenty of banks, shops, restaurants within walking distance or short taxi ride. What makes it average? Beds are too firm (I made concrete slab - firm but I realize some people like firm beds), older hotel (could use a bit of a facelift), Gypsy bar very very close and music can be heard all hours of the night, no AC (just a ceiling fan - the room can get uncomfortably warm to sleep at night) and price a little too high in the $175-$200 USD range. OVERALL: Recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for room on Second Floor - unless you cannot handle walking up two flights of stairs - no elevat...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi and for taking your time to offer such a constructive review of our property and amenities.

It was a great pleasure to host you at Jacaranda Hotel and we are happy to note that you enjoyed our services. Our staff have been a pillar to great service and we are glad that you got to experience this professionalism even as we aspire to do better. The chef and his team have been working on our menus including that for breakfast and we appreciate that you noticed their efforts as we continue to receive a lot of praise from guests.

We have also noted your concern about our beds, the current state of the hotel and the lack of ACs in rooms and do regret that this might have fallen short of your expectations. I however want to assure you that the hotel is scheduled to undergo a major facelift later this year with emphasis being the upgrade of our rooms to enhance guests’ experience. We are also going to double glaze all our rooms’ doors and windows to minimize the noise from our neighboring establishments. This is part of on-going projects that begun with upgrading our Wi-Fi strength and I am happy to learn that you enjoyed the same without any interruptions.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope that you will grant us a second chance to serve you and show you our improvements.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Very nice hotel in the Westlands part of Nairobi.
Very good service, friendly staff. Gardens and pool area very serene. Nice garden bar. It has a resort feel with the style.

Room clean, bathroom okay. Bath and shower could be better.
Lots of restaurants in the area, we tried Hanndi and Tastes of China. You need to take a taxi at night as it is not considered safe.

Downside is there is a nightclub nearby and quite a lot of traffic on the roads. This is beyond what the hotel can do and as a light sleeper I wore ear plugs and slept very well. Nairobi struggles with its traffic.
Internet a bit hit and miss.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our services and facilities in such a kind way.
It was indeed our pleasure to host you and we are glad to have met your expectations during your last stay as we strive for even better ways in improving our service delivery. I am also happy to note that you liked our gardens and the pool bar and our team was so proud to hear their efforts being appreciated.
We take our guests’ security as our priority and our staff have been sensitized on the need to inform guests regarding the general security situation within the city hence the advice provided by the team on the need to take a cab at night. This is meant to alert our guests that just like any other city in the world, there is need to be more careful but was not meant to imply anything negative.
We have also taken note of your experience with our internet and shared the same with our IT team who have checked with our service provide and advised them on the need to increase the bandwidth. Am happy to inform you that this has been concluded and our internet is currently very stable.

I thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Warm regards,

Front Office Manager

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!