“Much better the last three times” 5 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #41 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Much better the last three times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I've been staying at the jacaranda off and one over the past 8 years. They are on a upswing as of late. In Nairobi I have stayed at Intercontinental, Crown Plaza, former Holiday Inn, Safari lodge, Pan Afric Serena, and others. I keep on going back to Jacaranda mostly due to location. Of my experience Serenra is head and shoulders above the rest-if your company if paying. However the Jacanranda (I've stayed there over 30 times since 2005 and even got married there) however it has gone randomly from piss poor to ok as far a service and all.
Now since July 2013 it has been tops on service. I would mark it low on food and especially room service selection. I don't get when they also own the Pizza Garden next door they can't do a decent pizza-seems like a no brainer. However on my moment stay made the decision to take my belt off as I was packing so I wouldn't have to worry about it at airport. I didn't realize I left it behind until I get home to Dar so I text a colleague to look into it. He said he was on the way to airport but no worries when he checked out they gave it to him 'bagged and tagged' and said will you see your colleague. I'm sorry but that was the coolest move any hotel has done for me EVER! Kudos to jacaranda and their staff.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review about our property and facilities. It gives us much pleasure to note that our location has been ideal for you all these years as you mentioned.
We have always engaged our staff in continuous training with emphasis on attention to guests’ details to ensure that their expectations are met, if not exceeded and I am glad that you have noticed the difference in our service provision. We have also noted your concern regarding our food especially room service selection and I want to assure that this has since been addressed with a much improved menu now in place and the next time you are around please sample the same and give us feedback on the improvements.

We are also happy that you found the belt left behind during your last stay which was given to your colleague and I have shared your positive feedback about this with our staff who are equally impressed that you recognized their effort. Thank you for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Warm regards,

Emmanuel Nasila

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kampala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at the Jacaranda for 3 nights while on a business trip. The hotel has seen better days although there is evidence of efforts being made to keep it running. The room was clean and bed quite comfortable. The furnishings were good and the bathroom clean with adequate toiletries and towels. The breakfast selection was fair although service could be much better. I ordered room service on one of the nights and the food was quite tasty and arrived promptly. The wifi signal was strong throughout my visit which was a plus. Checking and out were hassle free. The Jacaranda meets your basic needs if you are not looking for an up class kind of hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Kampala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I've stayed at the Jacaranda almost every time I've come to Nairobi for business in the last 4 years, which is at least 10 times - my company puts me here. I've finally decided to review it. The rooms aren't opulent and neither do I need luxury. They're a bit dated but otherwise quite nice. The service is lacking in many areas, however, particularly the restaurant. There was only one gentleman making pancakes and eggs this morning at breakfast peak hour, and a queue of 6 people waiting. "Never mind," I said. I'll have bread. Then I had to search for a clean table and clean silverware, picking individual items from one dirty table or another, after having to flag down a waiter to ask for coffee. All this while being woke up this morning to people yelling down the hall. When I stuck my head out the door, I found it was cleaning staff yelling from one end to the other. There are perks to the Jacaranda. Great location, great gym and spa, and wifi is reasonably good. The food, however, could use some work. If I had the choice though, I'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Jake,

We take this moment to thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you, over your last 4 years' business trips, and especially for giving us such useful feedback from your last stay with us as posted in your review.

We do agree that some of our rooms and facilities need attention, and have began various hotel upgrade projects geared towards a great guest experience. This includes the rooms, lighting, décor, amenities and public areas, and additionally installing air conditioners in all rooms, all aforementioned planned to be in phases. Training in service areas is also up and running, covering many areas over time.

We also note with great concern our failure to meet your expectations at our Restaurant, where you had to queue for pancakes and even had to set your table with cutlery. This is not our standard and thus we take it up as a training need of which we have scheduled training to ensure the same will not happen again.

We would be delighted to keep in touch with you and let you know of the progress so that we may host you again in future, and hope that our shortfalls will not deter you from staying with us on your next visit to nairobi,

Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed one night. Slept well but woke up to a room that was way to warm. No AC. Opening windows? Nah... mosquitos outside. Stepped into the shower. That was like standing in a mild summerrain. Waterpressure low or showerhead not functional. So a normal 3 minuteshower took 10 minutes to get rid of shampoo in hair.
Breakfastbuffet quite good. Watery coffee. Brilliant service from staff.
So - ok for 1 night but dont expect a quick shower.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Lima,

We take this moment to thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you, and are glad that our staff served you well.

We have taken note on the quality of coffee served to you and malfunctioning shower head and have involved the concerned parties to engage a system of ensuring consistent quality.

We have began various hotel upgrade projects geared towards a great guest experience. This includes the rooms, lighting, décor, amenities and public areas, and additionally installing air conditioners in all rooms in phases.

Wirtz, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed here our first night in Kenya, prior to our safari. The room was clean and very comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was exceptionally good. The best fresh fruit!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Maureen,

We take this opportunity to thank you for the positive feedback noted in Tripadvisor. We do take all comments seriously with a view to making our guests' stay better, always.

We further write to express our appreciation for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you.

we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit,

San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

we stayed at the jacaranda both upon arrival and prior to departure from kenya for one night each time. we found the rooms to be adequate for our purposes. they were spotlessly clean, fair sized with comfortable beds and a decent shower. the outstanding feature of this hotel is the staff;
everyone went out of their way to make our stay the best possible. the only thing missing is an elevator.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not three floors and half a mile from the reception area.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking time to write about your experience during your stay with us in December, 2013.
We are delighted to note that you found the hotel rooms to be adequate, clean, and decent, and outstanding staff.

Your comments on the restaurant food and drinks is important as it will enable us improve. We have always offered great food and service to each guest, and this being a single occurrence, we took note of your preference to prevent recurrence.

We assure you that we shall keep up the standards and hope to be of excellent service to you on your next visit,

with best regards,

Broughty Ferry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks with work and loved it, so much so that I'm planning a safari to Kenya for next year and will book this as a stop over. Yes on the weekends it can be very loud outside but that's due to the stretch of pubs with outside music across the street, which, I must add, was a great evening and atmosphere.

Food was superb, staff were amazing, straight across from a small shopping mall and tourist market on the other side. Pizza garden across the road is worth a visit for the atmosphere too if you want to get away from the hotel.

Looking forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We take this opportunity to thank you for taking time to review the jacaranda Hotel nairobi.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay despite the loud environment, and that our food was superb and staff amazing.

we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit and assure you of our best attention and service,

with best regards,

Daniel Muchai

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!