“Ambience in Colonial Style” 5 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #46 of 130 Hotels in Nairobi
Odense, Denmark
“Ambience in Colonial Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I tend to get bored with minimalistic style, all-look-the-same hotels around the world, and really enjoyed staying at the Jacaranda Hotel in Nairobi last week.

Fantastic garden and pool area, friendly and welcoming staff and - most importantly - colonial style ambience! Affordable rates - I had a non-A/C room and really enjoyed the quiet swing and the soft, fresh air from the large fan!

I will be back to Nairobi soon and I most definitely will stay at the Jacaranda again.

Room Tip: Chose a room close to the pool and garden area to have fantastic view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Oestergaard,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the rooms’ ambiance, and the friendly and welcoming staff. Indeed, our staff are professionally trained to offer great guest service and ultimately exceed guests’ expectations.

I have also taken note of your room preference and will ensure that on your next stay with us, we reserve for you a room overlooking the lush gardens and swimming pool.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The good about the hotel is the breakfast and the fitness centre. Both are exceptional by Nairobi standards. The location is also good and, to be fair, by and large the staff are courteous, pleasant and helpful.

The bad includes the very high cost, and consequent low value for money spent; exorbitantly expensive food at the hotel restaurants and room service; the rather tired and dated rooms; the poor selection in TV programming; and especially the virtually useless internet service. On this subject the hotel had responded to several earlier criticisms on TripAdvisor by saying the problem was temporary and had since been fixed. Do not believe this! The service remains utterly unreliable and, when it does work, is so weak as to barely be worth the effort. If you are a business user dependent on reliable internet you should definitely stay elsewhere despite the reassurances the hotel may try to offer.

Room Tip: You can get good, inexpensive food in the shopping centre across the road from the hotel to avoid pa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you found several aspects of the hotel to be good, particularly the location, courteous staff, breakfast and the gym.

Hotels are competitively priced in Nairobi, nevertheless we strive to offer product and service value for money. Our staff are professionally trained to offer great service to each guest. The menus in each of our restaurants and bars are tailor made with the guest preferences, and food prepared and presented in highest standards of hygiene. Perhaps you felt that particular meals were expensive and I would appreciate your feedback so that we can improve. Feel free to email me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

Our rooms are spacious, clean and well appointed to match the competitive rates published. Factoring in the global hospitality trends and the last room renovation project in 2009, we are planning on the next rooms upgrade project.

Each room is equipped with a flat screen TV set, connected to satellite channels with variety of global news, sports, movies and language options. Perhaps you had particular channels that you were unable to view and we would appreciate your feedback on this so that we focus on particular channels of choice.

We have responded to several guest comments regarding the internet fluctuation and downtimes we experienced late last month and early this month (June/July 2013), and would wish to reiterate that the IT infrastructure problems were resolved on 12th July 2013 and all our guests can access internet for free, 24 hours a day.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pros: the location is perfect. Close to the malls and restaurants. Business facilities are adequate. Breakfast is good, lunch and dinner are okay.

Cons: The hotel wifi is useless. It worked for, maybe 4 hours, in the 6 days I was there. Repeated complaints to the hotel management always came with the same answer: we are working on it. Well, work harder, because nothing is happening. It would have been okay if I was on a personal trip, but I was there on a work trip. I had to go to a nearby cafe with wifi to do my work. Very disappointing.

Lunch and dinner are overpriced, but ok. The ground are well kept and the place is clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the hotel’s location, dining, and business facilities.

During your stay, we were experiencing technical challenges with our communication infrastructure – both internet and telephone systems and this greatly affected our guests as well as normal hotel operations. We immediately embarked on fixing the problems for the long term, including acquiring new equipment. This has since been resolved. Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconvenience caused as a result of the downtimes; and assure you of a fast and reliable internet/telephone connection on your future visits.

All our products and services are well priced to give each guest quality and value for money.

Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Visiting Kenya fr the first time and having checking in late as a result of a much delayed flight, Jaracanda presented a relieve from a very tiring flight. The hotel staff were not very friendly during my first night. However, it's generally a very beautiful environment. The junior staff were friendlier assisting always with warm ' Hakuna Matata' smiles.

A big shopping is just 2 mins walk and you can get everything you need there. The wireless internet speed is good though breaks down frequently.

Never change your currency here in the hotel as the rate is ridiculously low, just walk across to the Baclays in the shopping more and you will see the difference

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tunde,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the hotel’s location and the friendly staff.

Our staff are well trained to offer delightful customer service so as to meet each guest’s expectations. Please feel free to email me your experience with the “not very friendly” hotel staff so I can follow up further. You can reach through kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com

As a value add, the hotel provides foreign currency exchange service to the resident guests. These rates fluctuate daily depending on the market forces and our in-house rates published as guided by the Central Bank.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Started in Nairobi at the jacaranda hotel, nice little hotel close to mall and Restaurants. Very friendly staff but little expensive for the value. I did not try the spa. Breakfast was included with the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Nabeel,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am glad that I had read reviews of the hotel prior to my trip, so I was not shocked and the expectations met the experience I went through.

This was my first time in Nairobi. I arrived from Dubai around 9 pm. The check-in process was smooth, the reception was friendly. I wanted to call and let the family know if my safe arrival. Looking at the international rates for phone calls, decided to use skype instead. I was informed that the internet was down and the engineers were working on it. Waited for couple of hours and finally decided call and let them know. Was getting bored, so decided to watch TV. No Dish or international channels, only local channels. Switched it off and went to sleep.

The next day in the morning I had a conference call on skype, which I had to skip as the internet was still down and no ETA of when it will be up. I called up and changed all my meeting to phone calls, rather than internet.

In the evening, when I got back from the client, ready for rest of my conference calls, I was informed that the phone lines were down and they remained so for the rest of my stay, which thankfully was shortened from 5 day to 3 day. I had to again change the conference calls from phone to skype. That was a bad move too.

The internet kept dropping and then finally I just could not connect. Complains had no effect, as it was for the phone line. They came, moved some wires, said they will check back in the office and I never heard back from them.

The decor was mediocre. I have attached the check-in card holder, which makes me feel that they wanted to give it an antiquated look and the table in the room was as if it was scratched by a cat (see the attached picture).

I would echo some of the readers views about the breakfast. The buffet was really good and covered everything that you can think of. The fruit choices were amazing. The omelet bar was excellent, even though it would have been nice for them to inform you once it was done. I sometimes reached there and the omelet had gone cold, but no complains. The staff serving in the breakfast area were friendly, infact throughout the hotel they were friendly, just could not help out in any way.

The ambiance and natural beauty with the palm trees, etc was very nice.

All in all, this hotel has potential, which I don't think the owners realize. Right next door is Sankara, which is the kind of hotel that I would go to, next time I am in Nairobi.

So, to summarize. If you don't intend to use internet, phone lines and are looking for a transit hotel, this is ideal. I wouldn't recommend this, if you are trying to impress yourself or anyone else.

Room Tip: It does not really matter. Use this as a transit hotel and get out of there as soon as you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear AsliDesi,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us including the breakfast, location and friendliness of our staff.

Each guest room has a TV with 30 satellite channels which include global news, sports, movies, news as well as local channels. Room 120 (as you have uploaded from the key card pocket) has all the channels showing on the TV and one of our technical staff is always ready to assist in the rare cases of channels not appearing on the TV set.

We consider guest feedback very important, as we work to meet and exceed the expectations of each guest. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to host you during your return to Nairobi.

Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My view after a business stay lasting for a couple of weeks

The pros..

- central location - opposite a fairly large shopping mall, complete with coffee shop, supermarket, post office etc
- very good gym (for a hotel)
- breakfast is very good
- friendly staff
- reasonable rooms

The cons

- hotel wifi was rubbish. Problems over both weekends I was there "to be fixed by Monday". Irritating system of a complex code to access wifi - specific to one device and valid for 3 or 7 days. With smart phones, laptops, ipads etc, several codes are required, to be renewed frequently. This was changed to one single code during my stay - but wifi was slow / not strong enough to support skype calls.

- calling reception eg for ironing board can be irritating. If the phone is busy, you are taken to a voice mail system, assuring you that your call is important... then you are told the mail box is full and you cannot leave a message. This must have happened on about 10 occasions. How hard can it be to check and delete messages?

- despite numerous security staff, someone decided to knock on my door very loudly at about 4am. I ignored but it took a while for them to leave.

- rooms are a bit dated. Comfortable enough though

- if the gym is not busy, one or two of the gym staff lounge around in the gym, changing tv channels to their local favourite, volume very high. I felt as though I was intruding by being there on one or two occasions (other staff in the gym were very professional though)

- room service was disappointing. When I ordered something, after some time I was told it was not available. Nor was my next choice. I ended by asking what was available from the menu, settling for a sandwich. Which was toasted, despite me asking for it not to be.

- nothing to do with the hotel, but I was warned that it is not safe to wander around at night. And night starts at about 1830 or 1900 throughout the year... so long, dark nights.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor (second / third, depending on the system used) and was reasonably quiet...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us including our rooms, breakfast, location and friendliness of our staff.

We consider guest feedback very important, and we shall look into the issues you have mentioned regarding our room service, gym staff, and someone knocking at your door at 4 AM. I would like to get more details (including dates) so that we can prevent recurrence for other guests. Please feel free to email me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

As with any other city in the world, walking around at night is not recommended due to personal safety and security. With this in mind, we always advice guests not to walk outside the hotel at night.