“Good location, useless wifi” 3 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #40 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
Chicago, Illinois
“Good location, useless wifi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pros: the location is perfect. Close to the malls and restaurants. Business facilities are adequate. Breakfast is good, lunch and dinner are okay.

Cons: The hotel wifi is useless. It worked for, maybe 4 hours, in the 6 days I was there. Repeated complaints to the hotel management always came with the same answer: we are working on it. Well, work harder, because nothing is happening. It would have been okay if I was on a personal trip, but I was there on a work trip. I had to go to a nearby cafe with wifi to do my work. Very disappointing.

Lunch and dinner are overpriced, but ok. The ground are well kept and the place is clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the hotel’s location, dining, and business facilities.

During your stay, we were experiencing technical challenges with our communication infrastructure – both internet and telephone systems and this greatly affected our guests as well as normal hotel operations. We immediately embarked on fixing the problems for the long term, including acquiring new equipment. This has since been resolved. Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconvenience caused as a result of the downtimes; and assure you of a fast and reliable internet/telephone connection on your future visits.

All our products and services are well priced to give each guest quality and value for money.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Visiting Kenya fr the first time and having checking in late as a result of a much delayed flight, Jaracanda presented a relieve from a very tiring flight. The hotel staff were not very friendly during my first night. However, it's generally a very beautiful environment. The junior staff were friendlier assisting always with warm ' Hakuna Matata' smiles.

A big shopping is just 2 mins walk and you can get everything you need there. The wireless internet speed is good though breaks down frequently.

Never change your currency here in the hotel as the rate is ridiculously low, just walk across to the Baclays in the shopping more and you will see the difference

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tunde,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the hotel’s location and the friendly staff.

Our staff are well trained to offer delightful customer service so as to meet each guest’s expectations. Please feel free to email me your experience with the “not very friendly” hotel staff so I can follow up further. You can reach through kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com

As a value add, the hotel provides foreign currency exchange service to the resident guests. These rates fluctuate daily depending on the market forces and our in-house rates published as guided by the Central Bank.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Started in Nairobi at the jacaranda hotel, nice little hotel close to mall and Restaurants. Very friendly staff but little expensive for the value. I did not try the spa. Breakfast was included with the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Nabeel,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am glad that I had read reviews of the hotel prior to my trip, so I was not shocked and the expectations met the experience I went through.

This was my first time in Nairobi. I arrived from Dubai around 9 pm. The check-in process was smooth, the reception was friendly. I wanted to call and let the family know if my safe arrival. Looking at the international rates for phone calls, decided to use skype instead. I was informed that the internet was down and the engineers were working on it. Waited for couple of hours and finally decided call and let them know. Was getting bored, so decided to watch TV. No Dish or international channels, only local channels. Switched it off and went to sleep.

The next day in the morning I had a conference call on skype, which I had to skip as the internet was still down and no ETA of when it will be up. I called up and changed all my meeting to phone calls, rather than internet.

In the evening, when I got back from the client, ready for rest of my conference calls, I was informed that the phone lines were down and they remained so for the rest of my stay, which thankfully was shortened from 5 day to 3 day. I had to again change the conference calls from phone to skype. That was a bad move too.

The internet kept dropping and then finally I just could not connect. Complains had no effect, as it was for the phone line. They came, moved some wires, said they will check back in the office and I never heard back from them.

The decor was mediocre. I have attached the check-in card holder, which makes me feel that they wanted to give it an antiquated look and the table in the room was as if it was scratched by a cat (see the attached picture).

I would echo some of the readers views about the breakfast. The buffet was really good and covered everything that you can think of. The fruit choices were amazing. The omelet bar was excellent, even though it would have been nice for them to inform you once it was done. I sometimes reached there and the omelet had gone cold, but no complains. The staff serving in the breakfast area were friendly, infact throughout the hotel they were friendly, just could not help out in any way.

The ambiance and natural beauty with the palm trees, etc was very nice.

All in all, this hotel has potential, which I don't think the owners realize. Right next door is Sankara, which is the kind of hotel that I would go to, next time I am in Nairobi.

So, to summarize. If you don't intend to use internet, phone lines and are looking for a transit hotel, this is ideal. I wouldn't recommend this, if you are trying to impress yourself or anyone else.

Room Tip: It does not really matter. Use this as a transit hotel and get out of there as soon as you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear AsliDesi,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us including the breakfast, location and friendliness of our staff.

Each guest room has a TV with 30 satellite channels which include global news, sports, movies, news as well as local channels. Room 120 (as you have uploaded from the key card pocket) has all the channels showing on the TV and one of our technical staff is always ready to assist in the rare cases of channels not appearing on the TV set.

We consider guest feedback very important, as we work to meet and exceed the expectations of each guest. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to host you during your return to Nairobi.

Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My view after a business stay lasting for a couple of weeks

The pros..

- central location - opposite a fairly large shopping mall, complete with coffee shop, supermarket, post office etc
- very good gym (for a hotel)
- breakfast is very good
- friendly staff
- reasonable rooms

The cons

- hotel wifi was rubbish. Problems over both weekends I was there "to be fixed by Monday". Irritating system of a complex code to access wifi - specific to one device and valid for 3 or 7 days. With smart phones, laptops, ipads etc, several codes are required, to be renewed frequently. This was changed to one single code during my stay - but wifi was slow / not strong enough to support skype calls.

- calling reception eg for ironing board can be irritating. If the phone is busy, you are taken to a voice mail system, assuring you that your call is important... then you are told the mail box is full and you cannot leave a message. This must have happened on about 10 occasions. How hard can it be to check and delete messages?

- despite numerous security staff, someone decided to knock on my door very loudly at about 4am. I ignored but it took a while for them to leave.

- rooms are a bit dated. Comfortable enough though

- if the gym is not busy, one or two of the gym staff lounge around in the gym, changing tv channels to their local favourite, volume very high. I felt as though I was intruding by being there on one or two occasions (other staff in the gym were very professional though)

- room service was disappointing. When I ordered something, after some time I was told it was not available. Nor was my next choice. I ended by asking what was available from the menu, settling for a sandwich. Which was toasted, despite me asking for it not to be.

- nothing to do with the hotel, but I was warned that it is not safe to wander around at night. And night starts at about 1830 or 1900 throughout the year... so long, dark nights.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor (second / third, depending on the system used) and was reasonably quiet...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us including our rooms, breakfast, location and friendliness of our staff.

We consider guest feedback very important, and we shall look into the issues you have mentioned regarding our room service, gym staff, and someone knocking at your door at 4 AM. I would like to get more details (including dates) so that we can prevent recurrence for other guests. Please feel free to email me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

As with any other city in the world, walking around at night is not recommended due to personal safety and security. With this in mind, we always advice guests not to walk outside the hotel at night.

Cheltenham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here at the end of a safari. Our guide told us he was taking us to a five-star hotel, so we were a bit disappointed as it isn't. Having said that the lobby/reception areas and restaurants are all very nice, but the hotel is slightly let down by the rooms. Surprising no lift to upper floors. Bedrooms have tea/coffee making facilities, hair-dryer, TV and electric mosquito repellant. Bathroom a bit tired. Nice pool area and also a gym. Had a very nice meal in the Safari restaurant. Chefs on hand to advise. Loveliest waitress ever - Anne. Sarit shopping mall is just across the road and another (Westgate) is nearby.

Room Tip: Garden/pool view rooms away from any road noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note you enjoyed several aspects of your stay including meals at the Safari Café and service from our staff - particularly Anne. I will share this feedback with her.

We have noted your comments regarding our rooms and this will enable us focus on improving/renovating our product. Jacaranda Hotel is rated as a 4-star hotel, with 128 rooms on 3 floors spread out in 3 wings. All information regarding the hotel and services are easily accessible on our website. I would be grateful if you could kindly email me the contact of your guide so that we can advise on the rating of our hotel for the benefit of future guests. You can reach me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The restaurant at the hotel serves a wide variety of breakfast items, not forgetting the great service from the chef and fellow staff. There is sugar free stuff that tastes good if you don't like a lot sugar or if you are diabetic

Room Tip: choose a room with a good view of the city
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Sheila,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi after your stay with us.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed great service from our Chefs and service staff, as well as the wide variety of breakfast items, including the sugar-free section of the buffet. Indeed we are building on these strengths so as to offer excellent service to each guest

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda hotel Nairobi.

Best regards,
Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!