“Have No Expectations and You will be Happy” 3 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #41 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Bangalore, India
“Have No Expectations and You will be Happy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am glad that I had read reviews of the hotel prior to my trip, so I was not shocked and the expectations met the experience I went through.

This was my first time in Nairobi. I arrived from Dubai around 9 pm. The check-in process was smooth, the reception was friendly. I wanted to call and let the family know if my safe arrival. Looking at the international rates for phone calls, decided to use skype instead. I was informed that the internet was down and the engineers were working on it. Waited for couple of hours and finally decided call and let them know. Was getting bored, so decided to watch TV. No Dish or international channels, only local channels. Switched it off and went to sleep.

The next day in the morning I had a conference call on skype, which I had to skip as the internet was still down and no ETA of when it will be up. I called up and changed all my meeting to phone calls, rather than internet.

In the evening, when I got back from the client, ready for rest of my conference calls, I was informed that the phone lines were down and they remained so for the rest of my stay, which thankfully was shortened from 5 day to 3 day. I had to again change the conference calls from phone to skype. That was a bad move too.

The internet kept dropping and then finally I just could not connect. Complains had no effect, as it was for the phone line. They came, moved some wires, said they will check back in the office and I never heard back from them.

The decor was mediocre. I have attached the check-in card holder, which makes me feel that they wanted to give it an antiquated look and the table in the room was as if it was scratched by a cat (see the attached picture).

I would echo some of the readers views about the breakfast. The buffet was really good and covered everything that you can think of. The fruit choices were amazing. The omelet bar was excellent, even though it would have been nice for them to inform you once it was done. I sometimes reached there and the omelet had gone cold, but no complains. The staff serving in the breakfast area were friendly, infact throughout the hotel they were friendly, just could not help out in any way.

The ambiance and natural beauty with the palm trees, etc was very nice.

All in all, this hotel has potential, which I don't think the owners realize. Right next door is Sankara, which is the kind of hotel that I would go to, next time I am in Nairobi.

So, to summarize. If you don't intend to use internet, phone lines and are looking for a transit hotel, this is ideal. I wouldn't recommend this, if you are trying to impress yourself or anyone else.

Room Tip: It does not really matter. Use this as a transit hotel and get out of there as soon as you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear AsliDesi,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us including the breakfast, location and friendliness of our staff.

During your stay, we were experiencing technical challenges with our communication infrastructure – both internet and telephone systems and this greatly affected our guests as well as normal hotel operations. We immediately embarked on fixing the problems for the long term, including acquiring new equipment. This has since been resolved. Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconvenience caused as a result of the downtimes; and assure you of a fast and reliable internet/telephone connection on your future visits.

Each guest room has a TV with 30 satellite channels which include global news, sports, movies, news as well as local channels. Room 120 (as you have uploaded from the key card pocket) has all the channels showing on the TV and one of our technical staff is always ready to assist in the rare cases of channels not appearing on the TV set.

We consider guest feedback very important, as we work to meet and exceed the expectations of each guest. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to host you during your return to Nairobi.

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My view after a business stay lasting for a couple of weeks

The pros..

- central location - opposite a fairly large shopping mall, complete with coffee shop, supermarket, post office etc
- very good gym (for a hotel)
- breakfast is very good
- friendly staff
- reasonable rooms

The cons

- hotel wifi was rubbish. Problems over both weekends I was there "to be fixed by Monday". Irritating system of a complex code to access wifi - specific to one device and valid for 3 or 7 days. With smart phones, laptops, ipads etc, several codes are required, to be renewed frequently. This was changed to one single code during my stay - but wifi was slow / not strong enough to support skype calls.

- calling reception eg for ironing board can be irritating. If the phone is busy, you are taken to a voice mail system, assuring you that your call is important... then you are told the mail box is full and you cannot leave a message. This must have happened on about 10 occasions. How hard can it be to check and delete messages?

- despite numerous security staff, someone decided to knock on my door very loudly at about 4am. I ignored but it took a while for them to leave.

- rooms are a bit dated. Comfortable enough though

- if the gym is not busy, one or two of the gym staff lounge around in the gym, changing tv channels to their local favourite, volume very high. I felt as though I was intruding by being there on one or two occasions (other staff in the gym were very professional though)

- room service was disappointing. When I ordered something, after some time I was told it was not available. Nor was my next choice. I ended by asking what was available from the menu, settling for a sandwich. Which was toasted, despite me asking for it not to be.

- nothing to do with the hotel, but I was warned that it is not safe to wander around at night. And night starts at about 1830 or 1900 throughout the year... so long, dark nights.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor (second / third, depending on the system used) and was reasonably quiet...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad that you enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us including our rooms, breakfast, location and friendliness of our staff.

We consider guest feedback very important, and we shall look into the issues you have mentioned regarding our room service, gym staff, and someone knocking at your door at 4 AM. I would like to get more details (including dates) so that we can prevent recurrence for other guests. Please feel free to email me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

As with any other city in the world, walking around at night is not recommended due to personal safety and security. With this in mind, we always advice guests not to walk outside the hotel at night.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Cheltenham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here at the end of a safari. Our guide told us he was taking us to a five-star hotel, so we were a bit disappointed as it isn't. Having said that the lobby/reception areas and restaurants are all very nice, but the hotel is slightly let down by the rooms. Surprising no lift to upper floors. Bedrooms have tea/coffee making facilities, hair-dryer, TV and electric mosquito repellant. Bathroom a bit tired. Nice pool area and also a gym. Had a very nice meal in the Safari restaurant. Chefs on hand to advise. Loveliest waitress ever - Anne. Sarit shopping mall is just across the road and another (Westgate) is nearby.

Room Tip: Garden/pool view rooms away from any road noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note you enjoyed several aspects of your stay including meals at the Safari Café and service from our staff - particularly Anne. I will share this feedback with her.

We have noted your comments regarding our rooms and this will enable us focus on improving/renovating our product. Jacaranda Hotel is rated as a 4-star hotel, with 128 rooms on 3 floors spread out in 3 wings. All information regarding the hotel and services are easily accessible on our website. I would be grateful if you could kindly email me the contact of your guide so that we can advise on the rating of our hotel for the benefit of future guests. You can reach me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The restaurant at the hotel serves a wide variety of breakfast items, not forgetting the great service from the chef and fellow staff. There is sugar free stuff that tastes good if you don't like a lot sugar or if you are diabetic

Room Tip: choose a room with a good view of the city
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Sheila,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi after your stay with us.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed great service from our Chefs and service staff, as well as the wide variety of breakfast items, including the sugar-free section of the buffet. Indeed we are building on these strengths so as to offer excellent service to each guest

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda hotel Nairobi.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Jacaranda is in Nairobi Westlands - very easy to access and close to the developing business district. It has very clean rooms and staff is very polite. If you have a room overlooking the internal garden and the pool, it's even better. But, there are a few problems. Even though kitchen is very good and modern (especially that chicken vodka!), options are limited. I stayed for a week and I had to have the same things again and again. Also, very salty cooking. Breakfast has only salted butter. Come on, some of us cannot eat salt because of blood pressure. The rooms are OK, need some renovation perhaps. Carpet was old and smelly. Good move to have the maids open the windows every day. Finally, on Friday and Saturday I found it very annoying having to stay awake because of the loudly-expressed sexual activities of multiple neighbours. Apart from these, a good hotel for business trips at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Michael,

Thank you for the positive feedback on our polite staff, clean rooms and views from the rooms. I have noted your comments regarding meal options and saltiness of the food and we shall be addressing these so as to cater to the very specific need of each guest.

I empathize that the loud noise from the adjacent room kept you awake, and being the first comment of such nature, we always advise guests to let us know of such issues so that we can solve them as soon as possible. As an example, had we known of your discomfort, one of the possible options would have been an offer to move you to another room.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda hotel Nairobi.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Second stay (2days this time) in the hotel and the rooms are still basic, in addition to having no aircon just a sealing fan. Some of the decorations and the overall design of the rooms looks old skul, maybe some retouch maybe be worth it. The internet signal at times can be a bit of a hustle especially when in the meeting rooms, but when it works its got good speed. The staff are quite courteous and helpful especially in the restaurant. Its got a good choice of where to eat, whether its at pizza garden across the road or the main restaurant. Not a bad place to sleep but given the option and the costs, I would rather sleep elsewhere. Also a nice hotel to bump into local leaders and make some quick contacts as somehow they have a preference for this hotel.

Room Tip: Make use of the gym! Its got a good instructor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Trev,

Thank you for the positive feedback on our courteous staff and dining options, and I will share this with the team. I have noted your comments on our rooms’ décor, design, air conditioning and cost – these provide valuable feedback for us to improve and meet your expectations.

We began installing air conditioning system in the rooms, to add on to the ceiling fans already in place. Regarding pricing, generally hotel accommodation in Nairobi is competitively priced and the rates driven by various forces including quality, star rating and demand and supply. Jacaranda hotel factors all these and key for us is giving excellent service and value for money.

Nakuru, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Jacaranda hotel is good and quite convenient. We stayed here for two nights. It is fine for travellers who are just stopping by Nairobi or staying for a couple of nights. The hotel is simple. The rooms are good and are well furnished. The bathrooms are clean and good. I think the hotel needs a bit of change in order to ensure a more modern type of hotel. We only took breakfast at the hotel and it was quite good. The staff was helpful and happily allowed us in for breakfast although we were late. The location is very good as it is near the CBD of Nairobi and it is neighbouring a mall.

All in all, an okay hotel just for the travelers who don't want anything fancy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear DheerK,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review our hotel.

I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, the food, the staff as well the location.
Your feedback on our rooms and hotel in general is valuable and will help us along as we improve and upgrade the hotel and our services as well.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!