“Acceptable as a transit point.” 3 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #43 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Bronx, New York
“Acceptable as a transit point.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Recently went on a Kenya Safari with Gate 1 Travel and Stayed at the Jacaranda for one night at the beginning and one night at the end of the trip, as a transit point to and from the airport. As a transit point it is acceptable but I wouldn't want to spend more than a night or two at the Jacaranda. The BOOM, BOOM, BOOM of a nearby disco made it difficult to sleep, especially while suffering from Jet lag. The service was good and the staff was friendly. WE had buffet breakfast at the restaurant which was descent and ample. We had dinner at the outdoor bar both nights. The service was a little bit slow, but the food was good and Tusker beer was cold. My whole time in Africa the only time I was bit by mosquitoes was on the first night at the Jacaranda and the last night at the Jacaranda, not in the room but while at the outdoor bar. The mosquitoes might be beyond their control but I just wanted to make people aware of it. Visited their gym and spa facility which is well outfitted, modern and clean. The rest of the trip with Gate 1 was outstanding, will post reviews where appropriate on TA.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Mundo696,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review our hotel. I am delighted to note that you were pleased with various aspects of the hotel such as the buffet breakfast.

There is a club approximately 50 metres from the hotel which, I assume, is the one you are referring to. We have strict environmental laws that guide on noise levels so as not to make noise for other residents and/or establishments. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you by the noise from the club, and assure you of our personal attention in regards to addressing this issue.

The tropical African climate allows mosquitoes to breed, nevertheless, we ensure all guest rooms are thoroughly sprayed, and advise guests on using repellent when outdoors.

I have taken note of the concern over slow service at our Pool restaurant, and we are continually training and leading our service staff so that this does not recur.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel is acceptable. All staff ( but not one of the ladies at the reception) are friendly and helpful, Michael is the best. They serve breakfast buffet, and has an omelette station. It is locate crossing street from a Mall or big shopping center, that has a supermarket a many stores.
On my stay I use three rooms, any of then the fan ceiling was working properly, it was making noise, and the other thing is that they have a night club or pool activities with a very good music, but if you need to sleep, and noise bother you, that will be a problem: music, no ac, fan ceiling making noises, and need to close the windows...not good sleep...the solution ask for room on the opposite wing. Nice pool. No free internet. I did not use the spa services.
In general, the hotel is clean.
Also, They really need to decorate a little more the Lobby area.
They can book a taxi to the Airport for $25
I will recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: If background noise can make it really difficult to sleep...ask for room away from pool or night cl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Ahidyn,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review our hotel.

I am glad to note you enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us: our location, cleanliness, breakfast buffet and our staff, who are well trained to offer excellent guest service. I would like to get more information regarding our receptionists who were unfriendly towards you. This is so as to identify the root cause and prevent recurrence. Please feel free to email me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

We do carry out regular maintenance of the ceiling fans in the rooms to maximize room aeration and guests’ comfort. This is before we install ACs in all the rooms.

We have wireless internet covering the entire hotel, and it is free of charge. However, we charge a small amount to utilize the computers in our business center.

Over the last few days, we have been refreshing the look and feel of our lobby, and we now have a well-lit, warm and African themed lobby.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda hotel Nairobi, and having a cup of tea/coffee with you.

Best Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are good as far as looks are concerned, as in they are well furnished and the bathrooms are nice too. However you don't have Air-conditioners , and the fans are very very slow; I asked the hotel staff to fix them but they just didn't do it; it's really hot in the day in those rooms!

My room was 314, the tap water from my bathroom was strange: it was as if a detergent had been added to it, and it had a slightly faded green shade. It felt awful!

There is no steam iron available, so that's an unexpected downside.

Also, I wish the rooms could have been carpeted. They look nice, and are cozy but just because of some drawbacks they creep me out- I even saw a lizard behind my side-table at night!

Rest, the meals are nice; breakfast is excellent with a range of fruits , raisins, cereals, breads , and salads, and on-spot omelettes and tea and coffee plus juices. The dinner is good too, just that unlike breakfast u can only have one glass of juice or water! The restaurant staff was really nice too.

Housekeeping is good. Staff is generally well trained except for one of the night-duty receptionist (don't remember her name) who is one pain in the neck!

The location is good, hotel has a lot of greenery and a good pool. The atmosphere generally is good.

I would recommend this hotel to some extent only if it would have had ACs, otherwise the price is too high as compared to the amenities.

• Stayed February 2013
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Ali,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review our hotel based on your stay.

Our rooms are well furnished and supplied to ensure each guest feels comfortable and at home. We began installing Air Conditioners in the rooms, with a few rooms having them. It is a project that is continuous and capital intensive and which we are dedicated to complete. The room you stayed in did not have an AC but the overhead fan. We received your request to have its speed adjusted, but our technicians could not attend to it since you were not in the room (it only takes a few minutes, and it can be done to your satisfaction). We regret any inconvenience caused.

The hotel is supplied with clean soft water which is available 24 hours a day to each guest room, and we have not had any cases of our water being dirty or contaminated. In addition, we have dry iron boxes that can be provided to each guest on request, at no charge at all.

We have rooms that are carpeted and those that are not carpeted. The room in which you stayed did not have a carpet, nonetheless it is one of our very good rooms which was recently renovated. We appreciate your preference for a carpeted room and will ensure we allocate you one on your next visit.

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding our meal options, breakfast, staff and hotel location, facilities and amenities. May I add that each of our staff is well trained to be professional and offer excellent service. I would assume one of our staff did not meet your expectations and that is why you describe her as “pain in the neck”, since we have never had such staff. However, feel free to contact me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com so that I may address your particular concern.

Once again thank you for your feedback as it will help us improve our products and services and offer value for money. I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

There's clear effort to upgrade this hotel, however, I was not impressed by the level of service, especially the ladies in the restaurant....they were keen on looking at the guests and deciding then deciding if they would give them god service or not.....The rooms do not have an aircon, and the inbuilt fan did not work, we ghot a portable fan that did little for the Nairobi heat. I dont know if this hotel provides internet free or chargeable, they brochure said to contact the Business center!
The hotel is close to a club and weekend nights were difficult, on sunday morning there was a loud curch service closeby....probably some aspects were good..I dont know..there were just too many wrongs for me..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wema34,

Thank you for your feedback and review of our hotel.

Early this year we embarked on projects to improve our products and customer service. Among these are installing of ACs in the rooms, with a few rooms having them. In addition to the ceiling fans, we have the standing fans that are available to guests on request.

We have wireless internet covering the entire hotel, which is offered complimentary to all our guests (included in the room rate). We regret the inconvenience caused due to noise from a nearby club. We have already addressed this issue with their management and the city authorities to ensure all our guests have a comfortable and peaceful night’s rest.

Please feel free to get in touch with me if you have more feedback and suggestions that can help us improve and win you back.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Have stayed here on and off for more than 20 years now - during which time, physically, the hotel has evolved. However the atmosphere remains the same - efficient, friendly and low key. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear BWHU,

Thank you for your feedback and review of our hotel.

I am delighted to note you have remained one of our loyal and most treasured guests. We are continuously evolving and improving, with our key pillars of excellent guest service and professionalism remaining key.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Nairobi, and sharing a cup of tea/coffee with you.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as we started and ended our photo safari. It seemed to be a common occurrence - lots of tour groups/families coming in and out just as we did. The room was clean, but the tub had a bit of a draining problem and the ceiling fan made a lot of noise.

The pool was lovely. My daughter enjoyed a swim and we dined al fresco twice. Our last day, we checked out by 10 am but they kept our bags while we did a bit of final sightseeing and let us hang out in the lobby for several hours since we had a late night departure. The free wifi was really nice and much appreciated. This hotel was more or less what I expected based on our tour package itinerary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Carrie,

Thank you for your feedback and review of our hotel.

I am delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us, and in particular the swimming pool, complimentary wireless internet and courtesy of our staff.

Occasionally, we may experience challenges in terms of slow drainage and the ceiling fan’s speed being too slow for the guest’s preference. When brought up, we act with speed to rectify the problem and ensure guest satisfaction.

Thank you once again for your valuable review and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel, Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I visited the spa in a group of four. Charity and her team were great at accomodating us and making special arrangements for us.The spa was very clean,quiet and cosy. Two members of the group were surprised at the amount of light available in comparison to other spas they have visited. You can read in the waiting area for an indication of how much light is avaialble:-)We arrived half an hour before our scheduled time for our treatments, unfortunately one of the therapists was running late so we didn't start on time as scheduled. We all enjoyed our individual treatments,especially the massages which were deep tissue and hot stone, and the reflexology. Two of us had the the basic facial,I think its the refreshing facial. I wouldn't pay to have it again and the other one of us who had it didn't seem necessarily thrilled. The manicures and pedicures were also nothing to write home about sadly in their quality. For the cost of treatments i.e. we each spent 125 dollars or thereabouts, I think the quality of treatments is wanting the staff are however remarkable and they trully made it a memorable experience for us. I would recommend this spa for the wonderful staff,the ambience, the massages(hot stone and deep tissue)and reflexology. I'm not sure I would go back for the basic manicure.pedicure and facial or recommend them. The spa is not fully equipped to handle large groups and though the staff out did themselves they were visibly strained even for resources. E.g. for the facials not enough steamers were available so hot face towels were used on some of my companions.
After the spa we headed off to the pool resturant at the hotel, we found an empty table sticky from the last guests,and had to request that it be cleaned after our order was taken. The food is over priced,and nothing to write home about. This is definately not a restaurant I will recommend or visit soon again. The staff at the restaurant were nice enough and courteous. I think Jacaranda has its biggest plus in its staff but for the money you spend you do not receive the value you should.I think the management ought to do something,I noted with interest other reviews also note a lack of value for big bucks required to access services at this establishment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bea G,

Thank you for your feedback and review of our hotel.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed the massages (hot stone and deep tissue)and reflexology. We have some of the most experienced and professional staff who do their best to provide excellent customer service. In addition, the prices of our products and services are competitive based on demand and supply, and we always do our best to provide value for our guests’ money. I have addressed this issue with our Health Club Manager and our Restaurant Manager to ensure the negative aspects do not recur. I would like to get in touch with you personally to update you on the progress and win back your confidence in us. Please feel free to email me through: kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!