“Small mosquito infested rooms” 1 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #42 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Kigali, Rwanda
“Small mosquito infested rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip to Nairobi, the rooms are small and full of mosquito. There is no air conditioning and overall the experience was terrible. The staff were also very arrogant. The rooms are very expensive also compared to what is being offered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Vysakh N,
Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review our hotel.

The Jacaranda team is always working to exceed our guests’ expectations. I am concerned to note that we did not meet your expectations, regarding your room and the service from our staff.

I would like to get more information regarding your experience with us so as to address your concerns to ensure these do not recur. Please feel free to email me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com.

In the meantime, be assured that we are committed to excellent service.

Best regards,
Kevin Kimutai
Assistant Front Office Manager

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel was fine for our first and last nights in Nairobi at either end of our tour. The rooms are adequate with hot water and a hot pot for tea and coffee. The restaurant was good. The breakfast buffet had all the necessary options including hot cereal, breads, eggs, sausage, etc. Lunch and dinners at the restaurant were good all around. The soups were especially nice. The food was better than at other places we ate in Kenya. There is a very nice grocery/department store around the corner where you can buy Kenyan teas and other reasonably prices goodies to take home. The hotel gift show is excellent with good gifts and pleasant service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Rambler4,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review our hotel.

We strive to consistently meet and exceed our guest’s expectations. We are particularly delighted that you enjoyed the food in our various dining options. We will share these comments with the chef and his team.

The gift shop is well stocked with various items for good souvenirs and gifts.

It was a pleasure to host you during your trip to Nairobi, and we look forward to welcome you back soon.
Ahmedabad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We just had an overnight stay at this Hotel. The Hotel has just basic facilities. Small rooms - may be because it is in the capital. Staff was good and helpful. We had good sleep and a great breakfast before pushing to airport for our flight to Joberg

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Borntraveller55,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review our hotel.

We are pleased to note that you had a good night’s rest and enjoyed your breakfast. In addition, our team is dedicated to provide professional, warm and helpful service.

Our rooms are well appointed and equipped to ensure an enjoyable stay. This includes : Tea and coffee making amenities, mini bar, hair dryer, and satellite TV. We are constantly improving on our products and services.

It was a pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcome you back.

Best regards,
Kevin Kimutai
Assistant Front Office Manager
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was our first trip to Kenya and also African continent. My wife and I were tentative about what is in store for us. Reached hotel in afternoon. We were welcomed by a 'hot-towel' and a tasty juice. The warm feeling came down when we got a cold response at the reception. The warmth in the response remained the same through out our stay. We stayed on night. When we entered the room, were surprised not to find an air-conditioner, but later realized that we don't need one in many places in Kenya.

Room was clean so was the bathroom. Our bathroom didn't have an exhaust and so one can imagine how challenging it would have been.

There was a minibar in the room, but it was locked. We called the front desk five times but we didn't get anyone come over to the room to open it; so we gave up and walked to Safari Lounge. The folks in the Lounge were very welcoming, which was not the case with the Cafe folks.

The pool was small but OK to spend some time.
We felt the price of items in Gift Shop was way to high.
The signal quality in the television was not good, so it was not useful for us.

The place is surely getting old and needs attention.

This is surely not an obvious choice for the next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms having a view into the pool are are better than the garden view options.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just like my experience with the Carnivore Restaurant, there is no wow factor in this Hotel. I was warned by the receptionist that the entertainment sector close by can cause noise, but unfortunately there was no rooms available facing the garden site. TV channel selection poor and half scrambled, as I only stayed one night I could not be bothered. A bonus is the mall close by but that is about it. I did not feel particular welcome and no one really seems to be bothered as staff looked 'tired'. Skipped the breakfast so no opinion here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

stayed here on business for 3 nights. very noisy - i think a niteclub was nearby but also there was no noiseproofing from the corridors. not very clean rooms either. breakie was nice though and if you're sick of omelettes at this stage there's a lot more to chose from. Mall behind the hotel (although nothing in it really) and a small market nearby. i wouldn't stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Right now I M on a business trip in Kenya
B4 ariving a freind of mine sgsted me to stay @ Ole Sereni & I buked th same Hotel for 3 nights thru Mr. Rajiv Chadha of African Eden Ltd.
Ole Sereni was the best @ its price of $ 228 but the location was slightly awkward for me as I isolated so when I wanted to stay for a more night I rqsted Mr. Rajiv to sgst me a Hotel in the best locality
Rajiv sgsted me 2 stay @ westland area and recomended cpl of Hotels and finaly buked me @ Jacaranda @ $ 228 excusing that other Hotels he sgsted R ful or out of range
Wel I arived @ Jacaranda checked in and entered th room & found the Hotel has no elevator & no airconditioning in the rooms
I imediately called Rajiv who came to th hotel N explained that there R no Hotels avlbl which he sgsted and there R no gud choices fr me but to stay here
I said OK send me back to Ole Sereni
He said its a heavy trafic tym N it wil take me cpl of hours to reach Ole Sereni
I wish I had opted that cpl of hours and wud have stayed comfortably
I cud'nt sleep whole night as the temp in th room was not tht cold although th weather @ that night in Nairobi was gud
The hotel was not worth for th price I was charged
Half of th TV chanels wer not properly tuned out of not more than 16 chanels
Overall had very bad experience and wil never stay in any of Jacaranda hotels

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!