“A good place for a day in Nairobi” 4 of 5 stars

Jacaranda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waiyaki Way | PO Box 14287, Nairobi 00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #42 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
“A good place for a day in Nairobi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a very good hotel for an overnight stay. It has a nice garden, with pool, nice terrace restaurant with very good food and service and also a pizza bar (which we haven't tried out). The terrace is very quiet so you can relax having a drink near the pool, or in the garden.
You have all you need in the hotel or next to it (shops, food, drink, exchange).
The rooms are large and we had a king size bad which was very comfortable.
The location of the hotel is very good if you are going for the Masai Mara game reserve, but very poor for all other destinations, including airport, the day trips or for the safari in other parks (like Amboseli). The transfer form the airport to the hotel will take usually over 1 hour, and this is because you have to go from one part of Nairobi into the other right through the centre of the city which is a nightmare from the traffic point of view. The same happens if you want to go into a half day trip (like elephant orphanage or giraffe centre), you will spend most of the day in traffic.
Regarding the half day trip, we booked it right there, and we choose the Giraffe centre. The giraffe centre it self does not worth the effort of going there, but there is the Mamba village, which can be visited if you go to the giraffe centre which make the day complete. We also, on our way back visited Nairobi, so in the end it was a very nice half day spent.
Other that its location, the hotel is very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during the Masi explorer Safari and Beach extension to Zanzibar booked with Virgin holidays in April 2012.

On arrival at the airport we were met by a Rhino Safari's agent (on behalf of Virgin) and taken the the hotel were we spent the nigt before starting our Safari at 6am the following morning. The night we eat in the pizzaria which we paid for but it was not overly expensive. Breakfast was included in our room rate. Food was good.

We spent the second night after our Zanzibar excusion before ebing taken back tot he airport for our flight back to the UK. This was a sunday and the pizzaria had become a local nighspot so we gave it a miss and eat in the hotel. Food was nothing special but sufficient after a full days travel.

Would recommend as a stop over as we did.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here at the begining of our Virgin Holidays Safari for one night. When we arrived we were greated by friendly staff, (scary armed guards at the gate) a refreshing drink and a hot towel which was nice. The reception of the hotel is very nice and I cannot fault the grounds. The gardens are beautifully kept and are very clean and tidy.

The first thing I noticed about our room was the smell of stale smoke. It wasn't too much of a problem but it was off putting. The room was spacious, clean and tidy but it was a little out-dated. There was not much light and the bathroom was quite old-fashioned. However it was very clean.

The bed was very hard but to be honest after 24 hours without any sleep we both had a wonderful sleep regardless!

In the evening we ate at the Pizza restaurant owned by the hotel and even though the service was very slow, we had a good pizza and coffee. The next morning we had the buffet breakfast which was fantastic. The choice and quality of the food was excellent. Freshly made pancakes, eggs and omlettes went down a treat.
We left a piece of our luggage in a storage room for our beach extension the following week and felt very reassured by the system they used. When we collected it 7 days later it was fine and the staff were very helpful,

All-in-all this is a decent hotel but it is dated and limited with its facilities.
I probably wouldn't choose to stay here again but if I had to I wouldn't mind too much!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Spent three days here on a business trip in late July 2012. The hotel itself is something of a mixed bag. The good points are the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the breakfast, the pool / bar / garden area and its closeness to the Sarit Centre (great place for all the essentials including ATM's, cafe's, supermarket & all sorts of places to buy presents etc).

There are a number of things that might give you pause. The first is the price - at approx 200 dollars per night it is pricey - but perhaps not too pricey by Nairoibi standards. Some of the ancillary services are also a bit steep. The exchange rate offered is fairly poor - hence the importance of the ATM's across the road. Wifi is available - 500 s for 1 hour up to 1800 s for 24 hrs. The latter is the best option if you are staying for any length as you can log on and off and save the minutes.

The rooms are of variable standard. When I first arrived I was given a room in the 'Garden Wing' . This was frankly a bit grotty. Lighting was bad, furniture slightly damaged and a little claustrophobic. Worst of all was that despite paying for it, Wifi didn't work ( I was there on business so it was essential for me). I complained and was moved immediately to a third floor 'Pool' room ( I think it was called). This was far better - just a cleaner, more up to date version of the previous room.

As mentioned the breakfast is very good - worth paying for if you like a leisurely, filling start to the day.

Overall I would recommend this hotel but it is 50 years old and is showing its age in at least some parts.

Room Tip: Be careful where they put you - try to avoid garden wing, ground floor if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Queanbeyan, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed here before and after a safari and all three rooms were very clean, pleasant and quiet. The food was delicious from the bar or restaurant or room service. I especially enjoyed relaxing by the pool in the green and lush garden setting. The porters were helpful, even walking me to a local shop rather than giving me directions! The business centre computer connection was a bit slow and there is a charge for this and for wifi. A nice touch is the damp towel and glass of juice on arrival at the hotel. I used the spa on three occasions and the massage was excellent, just what I needed after safari! I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, ask for a room in the wing furtherest from the gym as there are early morni...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Nice clean and relatively quiet. Very helpful staff. Nice gym and pool. Good shopping centre right out the back.

• Stayed July 2012
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. The location is very good and the hotel is embedded in gardens with pleasant outdoor settings around the bar. The the welcome was very warm and helpful but the internal decor is a bit tired and retro. The room was pleasant enough with a large comfortable bed but no a/c . This was OK as it was June but I bet it gets a lot warmer in summer. There was a mini bar with beer, spirits and some fizzy water. This was fine but there was no bottle opener in the room. I called reception and one was duly delivered but I had to return it immediately. I am sure I have seen this process in a prison film! Either bottle openers are in short supply or one vcannot be trusted to use them safely alone. The next night was worse as I obviously had offended someone as the minbar was locked and the key removed. I called reception and asked for the key and a bottle opener but as no one came in 30 minutes I surrenedered and went to bed. The quality of the food was moderately good to average.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Jacaranda Hotel? Share your experiences!