“Manager of Café villa Rossa needs customer service training.” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chiromo Road, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 122 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Manager of Café villa Rossa needs customer service training.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I have not used the Kempinski Villa Rossa accommodation however my husband took our family, our friends and I for dinner at Café villa Rossa on my birthday this year, 28th June. We were a party of 10.
The ambience is good however I did not appreciate the fact that the buffet had mostly Indian cuisine in the buffet which we were not informed of in advance when we made our reservation. Not that there wasn't any other cuisine but if you do not enjoy Indian cuisine that particular dinner would be difficult to go through.
Our waitress seemed to be in a hurry although she was polite.My husband ordered 2 bottles of similar brand wine- one red and one white. Each costed about $70. The waitress brought over the wine but to our surprise after dinner the wine bill was $240!
My husband had to leave our guests and I to speak to the manager as the waitress realised that she had brought us a more expensive wine with a similar name. She was very apologetic however the manager was so rude! He had the odasity to tell my husband that people are always trying to get out of paying bills by saying that they did not intend to purchase a particular wine. He also rudely added that he would pay for it out of his own pocket !!!!!
I don't mean to get into the nitty gritty of bills however our total correct bill was over $ 550! Did this manager honestly think that we were trying to abscond an extra $100?! Where was he trained and is he aware that he is working for a 5 star establishment?!
I would not recommend Café Villa Rossa unless you enjoy expensive Asian food, enjoy your special occasions ruined and don't mind being treated like crap by a restaurant manager.

• Stayed June 2014
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear KandVaroundtheworld,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Café Villa Rosa and for dining with us.
It is very unfortunate to hear that did not have a pleasant experience at the restaurant.
The buffet at Café Villa Rosa is a representation of 5 cuisines from around the world including Asian, African and Indian Cuisine. There are at most two Indian dishes that feature on the buffet. We do have a daily changing menu.
In regard to your note on your wine order, our wine list clearly indicates the varieties and prices of the selection available which is presented prior to order, wines are then announced and the label clearly displayed during the time of service.
I do apologize that you feel that the meal did not offer value in comparison to what you paid and would love to host you at Café Villa Rosa once again in the near future, for you to experience the very best of dining at Villa Rosa Kempinski.
Please do get in touch when you plan on making your next table reservation at the hotel.
Manish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Had a great time at the hotel. My room was excellent.

Reception and restaurant staff were superb too. Big up to Faith for being a great hostess. The drivers too were great company.

The House Keeping guys need to improve their turnaround times. My shirts were late twice in the morning. The first time around it took them over 40 minutes just to send someone to to collect my shirt. The in-room dining guys took forever to bring my order and when they eventually did brought a wrong order. My bar fridge was also not replenished until I asked.

Dear Luvos M,
Thank you for your review and for selecting Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi as your preferred accommodation of choice during your recent stay in Nairobi.
My team and I are pleased to read that you enjoyed the comforts of your room and were happy with the service from our front office and dining colleagues.
Thank you for the note on laundry collection and delivery turnaround times, I have looked into this with our Executive Housekeeper and ensure you that this will not happen the next time you visit. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We have also noted your concern regarding the mini bar refill and will also ensure the next time that you visit your favorite items are refilled without delay.
I have taken note of your in room dining experience and the measures are in place to make sure you can enjoy the comfort of ordering from your room.
Please do keep in touch and let us know when you will visit next? In case I can support with any requests during your next stay, i will be happy to hear from you.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Hi. I really enjoyed dinning At Lucca- Villa Rosa Kempinski. Mind blowing dishes and beverages. Excellent customer service and friendly staff. Special Thanks to Restaurant manager and the hostess Grace Kimani taking good care of us throughout the evening. Very memorable..
All in all unique ambiance.
Generally the hotel is awesome with splendid amenities and services.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear alyasin2014,
Thank you very much for your review on LUCCA. My team and I are very pleased to read that you had an excellent experience at the restaurant.
I will definitely pass on your words of gratitude to the entire team.
We do hope that you will return to dine with us soon to try out some more of Chef Silvio’s delicacies.
Best Wishes
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

One has come to expect very expensive hotels that turns out to be very average, or below, in most Africa capitals. What a surprise the Villa Rosa Kempinski was. It is expensive but it is worth it. It it everything you expect from a top class hotel. The quality of the rooms are very good and you are drowned in service and friendliness. I only tried the Lucca Italian restaurant on consecutive evenings and it was excellent. I did appreciate the way in which they serve their wines if you do not want a bottle sitting by yourself. Highly recommended and i hope to be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear BC G,
Thank you so much for your recent review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi. We appreciate the time you have taken to write this.
My team and I are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay the hotel. Thanks for the feedback on the rooms and your dining experience at LUCCA including the note on our wine list.
LUCCA is well known for the fresh home cooked Italian meals that are served.
At Kempinski we are committed to providing our guests with memorable journeys inspired by exquisite European flair. We believe life should be lived with style.
We do hope that you will return to stay with us soon, please do let me know if I can be of any support with the reservation process.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Very nice relatively new property.
All the staff is friendly and are ready to assist with a smile. One of the best customer service experiences I have encountered in my travels.
If you need help booking a safari or any other activities George and Genevieve are the best.
The hotel is quite and caters to range of clientele including high profile persons such as President Obama's grandmother.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Micki G,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi.
My team and I are happy to read that you found the hotel to be a quite oasis in the midst of the city.
I will most definitely pass on your gratitude to George, Geneviev and the rest of the team.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you at the hotel once again in the near future. In case I can be of any support with your next reservation, please do get in touch.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times. My biggest gripe is that they're insistent on taking a security deposit (100 USD per night, unless you complain.) for expenses when you check in. I can only think this is to cover the extortionate price for breakfast. I could understand the temptation to flee.

The hotel ticks all the boxes with decent interent connection and gym etc which are included in the 426 usd per night price tag.

The rooms are pleasant and the staff friendly but that's about all.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is my second stay in the Villa Rosa Kempinski hotel. I was here around the end of last year.

I am so happy to note that the services have gone a few notches up since I was here last. The staff made me feel like a long stay guest by recognizing me and making an attempt to talk to me making me feel like a VIP!! It was fantastic to experience that warm African hospitality all over again.

Having said that what I enjoyed most was having an amazing seafood at the Asian restaurant 88! The sushi/ sashimi platter on offer was outstanding teamed with an excellent choice of wines!! The hostess attending to us was warm and refined making us feel right at home in a foreign country. I was informed that this restaurant is not yet fully open but lucky me I had the opportunity to sample the culinary excellence of the team.

The gym and spa services available are commendable too. The instructors at the gym are knowledgeable and passionate about their job.

Good luck team Villa Rosa. Keep up the good work and we will keep coming back for more

• Stayed July 2014
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Sbn07,
Thank you so much for your review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi.
I am pleased to read that you chose the hotel for the second time as your preferred accommodation choice in Nairobi.
Thank you for the feedback on 88 and for sharing the dishes that you enjoyed most, including the seafood, sushi / sashimi platter. We do hope that you will return to stay with us once again in the near future, so that you can try out the full range of the Villa Rosa dining options, which will also include Tambourin, our rooftop lounge which has Middle Eastern inspiration with North African influence.
Glad to also read that you enjoyed Kempinski The Spa and the fitness center.
Please do let us know when you plan on visiting again, and if there is any support we can give in terms of reservations or any special requirements that you may have.
See you soon.
Manish

Been to Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi? Share your experiences!