“Budget hotel near Yaya Centre” 4 of 5 stars

Gracia Gardens
Kilimani off Dennis Pritt Rd, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #49 of 90 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Budget hotel near Yaya Centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This simple hotel is convenient as a Nairobi base. During this visit a lot of roads nearby were being constructed so the whole area was a bit of a building site, however the roads will be finished at some point I expect. It didn't disturb us once we were in the hotel itself. Discreetly tucked away behind big gates as is the norm. The main buildings such as dining room, resident lounge? conference hall, reception etc are wooden structures scattered throughout the grounds. Plenty of tropical greenery gives a country air and the sleeping block around 3 sides of the swimming pool which has a small waterfall feature at one end is central and practical. The rooms are basic, no tea making facilities although there was a writing desk, fan and TV. My single bulb didn't have a light shade but I guess the low wattage bulb would have given out even less light had it had a shade! As there was no bedside light switch I had to jump out of bed and go to the door to switch off the light at bedtime. The bed was large and comfy and had a small ensuite shower room The food was plentiful if basic but what I expected for the cost. The staff seemed helpful enough and ramps as well as steps meant suitcases could be dragged around with ease. My friend in a different room experienced a few noisy nights (a nearby party, howling dogs etc) but I heard none of it.
Not the fault of the hotel but the sun did not shine once during our 3 day stay :(

Room Tip: My friend's noisy room was up the top of the plot near the gates.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Gracia Gardens is a great little hotel in a safe part of Nairobi, just about 10 min walking distance from the Yaya shopping center. Rooms vary a lot so ask to see the room before you book it. Beds vary a lot too, from super soft to very firm. Warm water varies so make sure the front desk knows when you want to take a shower. The food was ok. There are several great restaurants located just a few minutes walk away. What I loved the most about Gracia was the staff. Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others :)

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms closest to the driveway as it can get very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
san jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

It's Africa! We felt safe here....very secure, and in a safe area... reasonably priced.. Not the Sheraton, but you will feel like you're really in Africa! I loved it. The food was good and carefully prepared for American needs. (careful preparation etc) Lovely area surrounded by the Embassies of various countries. Away from the bustle of the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I got a taxi from the airport and it took two and half hours to get to the hotel because I got stuck in traffic caused by a football match. It was about 22:30 when I arrived, only to find that they had let my room go to someone else and the hotel was now full. A driver immediately transferred my baggage to his car and took me to a "sister hotel". On arrival at I don't know where, we found the entrance to the hotel blocked by a pick-up truck. Finally it was moved and my cases were carried up several flights of stairs to a room in the roof. There was a mosquito net floor to ceiling, partitioning off the side with the beds in but there were already mosquitoes on both sides! I slept ok because it was very quiet there. In the morning I went to breakfast to find no cereal. There was "fruit juice" but its colour was so intense that it almost glowed and there was bread. After this I checked out and asked where I was, as I had no idea where they had taken me the night before. I showed them a map I had printed out that showed me the way to get from the hotel I should have been in to the office that I was visiting. There was a lot of puzzlement and a driver then took me for a tour of the local area. After quite a long time I found a land mark and was able to direct the driver to the office, which I had never been to previously.
Gracia Gardens hotel might be very nice but I don't want to stay at the "sister hotel" again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

When i arrived at the airport, the hotel driver was waiting. A super good guy.
From the kenyatta airport, its around 40 minutes drive to the hotel.
The hotel had big and clean rooms. The bathroom and the shower was okey.
The rooms did not have aircondition. But for this time of year, it was not needed. And they had mosquito nets around the beds.
The breakfast was good. Some juices, fruit and other stuff. A chef was ready to make omelett or pancakes.
The dinner meny was not good. Most of the dishes was not available. And the few i tasted, was not Worth any rating.
The hotel have a big relaxing garden With service. Good Place for spend the evening after a busy day.
The staff are very friendly and very helpfull. I will stay at this hotel NeXT time i go back to Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gracia Gardens? Share your experiences!