“A superb find near Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

You added Karen Country Lodge to your Saves list
Karen Country Lodge
Warai South Road, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A superb find near Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

A little belated as I stayed here on my first night in Kenya in January but I would thoroughly recommend it for somewhere to stay close to Nairobi but away from the city. From the booking right through to check out arrangements were excellent. The accommodation is fabulous and felt very secure. In the morning the set up was well under way for a wedding but this did not interfere with any of the residents needs. The gardens are beautifully kept. Breakfast was satisfactory but it is the feeling of security, quiet, accommodation and location which the definite strong points with this venue. Transport arrangements from the airport late at night and to Wilson Airport the following morning were all perfect. I would thoroughly recommend it and will definitely stay again when next in Kenya,

Room Tip: All the rooms were large, very well equipped and beautifully furnished.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights after safari and before our flight home. What a wonderful spot to relax. The main room in the cottage was massive and comfortable and there was a huge luxurious bathroom to match. I loved the stained glass panel and pieces around the grounds. With great and friendly service, what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: The cottages by the lake are lovely.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lusaka, Zambia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

A 3 day business trip in Nairobi was made by this wonderful escape from the city. Arrived after midnight and we we met by Paul who had a hot meal ready for us and then showed us to the amazing cottages. The cottages are beautifully finished with great attention to design and luxury.
Fantastic food, helpful attentive staff and amazing accommodation - 5 stars around.
I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

As soon as you step foot in Karen Country Lodge you are made to feel welcome!! The staff are so friendly and helpful!! The rooms are what you would expect from a 5* luxury property, all set around a beautiful lake! I had the opportunity to have a sunset drink with the owner by the lakeside and he is very courteous. Meals are very good in the restaurant. The location is perfect; far enough to have quite but close if you want to go out in the evening. Would I go again.... YES!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Morogoro, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend in July 2013 for a change from the other hotel I was living in during my time in Nairobi.

The cottage was just lovely-lots of room (bed & separate sitting area), fireplace and a small kitchenette (fridge and hot water kettle). The bathroom was to die-for, with a claw-foot tub, which I regret not using while I was there. A front porch to sit on and relax was an added bonus!

The only negative is that I loved this place so much that I wanted to move to it for the rest of my time in Nairobi. I made arrangements with the woman at reception, agreed on a price and made arrangements to move over a few days later. The day before, the woman calls me and tells me that she couldn't honor the price, leaving me in a bit of an awkward situation, but luckily my existing hotel had room for me to stay.

The breakfast was good and the bar had a nice atmosphere. Live music is available on some nights. I went here a few other times for meals and always enjoyed the plates.

It's located a bit off the beaten path, but is easily accessible via taxi to the Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen Gardens and some really tasty restaurants like Talisman and Que Pasa. A bit of a walk to the Karen Shopping Center where there is a Nakumatt (grocery store), Dorman's (coffee shop) and a variety of other shops and restaurants, but a taxi should only cost you around 200 Kenyan Shillings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Had the worst experience eating here. From the service to the food. Did not get welcomed by anyone when we got in. Sitting down on the table we had to wait more than 30 min to get our orders. after which the drinks and starters took so long. Asking for jikos was a hastle. Main course took nearly an hour and even when it came it was the worst food we ate. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed December 2013
Dulverton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Gorgeous, cosy rooms - we stayed in a cottage. Friendly staff and fantastic owners - we really felt at home; the staff and owners couldn't help us enough! V relaxing and beautifully appointed rooms and gardens. Imaginative and fun decor in dining room; great location. Definitely will go again! Lucy

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Karen Country Lodge? Share your experiences!