“Nice place. Bit too close. And very expensive.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #194 of 324 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Asian
Nairobi, Kenya
“Nice place. Bit too close. And very expensive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just had dinner at Muihbbah.

We were looking for some place that did South Eastern cuisine and M fit the bill.

We made a reservation, just in case. Fortunate for us as the place was quite full shortly after we got in there, though nearly all others were walk ins.

The staff are very pleasant and friendly. You are given a menu on which you mark what you want. Interesting for an up market place like M, but I guess they are trying to keep the street food touch.

We wanted something off the menu and the chef came across to discuss and agree on the main course. That was very good too.

The food itself was more Malaysian than anything else, but tasted rather nice.

One of our table mates had a satay which she just loved.

We didn't do the desserts as there was nothing inspiring there.

Overall this is a great restaurant and I have just 2 negatives.

1. It is very expensive for what you get. I have had bigger better meals in as good restaurants in Nairobi for far less.

2. The tables are too close to each other. You can hear pretty much everything the table next to you is conversing. And we had a table of Americans 3 tables away and that was really bad!

Not sure I'll be back in a hurry.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cape Town
“Amazing Thai in great modern atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Dined at Muhibbah last week and it was amazing. I expect the rating to increase rapidly as it gains momentum with the Sankara hotel itself.

I agree with the comment regarding "ticking your own menu" - for a high-end place not really what I expected (in fact you would expect the waiter to remember every order, tweaks and all, without having to write anything down).

The only other thing was that the waiter looked a bit puzzled when we asked for the red wine to be chilled slightly (they mean room temprature in Europe dear...).

Nevertheless, my Thai chicken curry was perfect, it truly was like I was sitting with my feet in the sands of Koh Phi Phi Don. Fantastic.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Great Thai Food in Nairobi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have discovered this place by chance on Jan 1st, 2013 as was invited by a friend that had booked it for a private party... Fell in love with the food and been back three more times since (two birthdays including mine and a get-together with another couple of friends).

I find the food VERY VERY good and the prices are VERY reasonable for where U R and the quality of the food.

The service is my only complain about this place. Although the waiters are very well trained and very courteous service is very slow and sometimes being left alone wondering when they will come :)

All in all I suggest it as the food is REALLY good!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“A good Thai place, but not outstanding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

No idea why it is called 'muhibbah'...is that really a Thai name? Food is nice, ambience is very much the same as the rest of the Sankara...as in a bit cold and bling. Not sure i like the 'tick your own menu to order' routine, not when you are paying the kind of money they want off you.' Food is perfectly acceptable.

London, United Kingdom
“Really good South East Asian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Muhibbah is within the elegant Sankara Hotel, we first had pre-dinner drinks at the Sarabi Pool / The Champagne Bar with great views over the Nairobi skyline. Muhibbah has a great lively atmosphere. Service was good but room for improvement. The wine list was a joy to browse, a great selection. The clipboard menu was very funky. We had starters and main courses to share and we were not disappointed. The duck with pineapple and grapes was amazing, great prawns and a really nice lemongrass crème brule. I had to add Muhibbah to TripAdvisor as a great Nairobi restaurant.

• Visited January 2013