“Relaxing stay with great hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Purdy Arms
61 Marula Lane | Karen, Nairobi 00502, Kenya   |
Ranked #10 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Almeria, Spain
“Relaxing stay with great hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stayed here on arrival to Nairobi after searching for somewhere on the internet and then by recommendation. After a long and stressful journey our welcome could not have been better. We were fortunate enough to be given a better room as we arrived early in the morning and the room we had booked was occupied. Grateful to be able to get some rest our room was fantastic overlooking the beautiful gardens with a lovely sitting room. I would recommend this as for us it was perfect for entertaining family and friends as well. Arriving on a Sunday, after re charging our batteries, we had lunch on the beautiful sunny terrace. Friends and family joined us and it was a wonderful setting. Breakfast was also delicious and staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. Thanks Purdy Arms for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the staff are so pleased with your comments which we shared with them.

We have tried to create a relaxing atmosphere within the 23 acres that the Purdy Arms, Karen sits on and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Restored colonial homestead turned country restaurant. Vast green lawns underneath gentle old giant trees take you back to those years on the Kenyan highlands. Share a good East African beer with friends and enjoy bulky burgers with chunky home made lamb patties with all the right trimmings. Those were the days...

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a kind review of the Purdy Arms, Karen. The house was originally built in the 1940's and it is an amazing building full of history.

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a nice review and we look forward to welcoming you back.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was recommended Purdy by friends for an overnight stay and took my family to lunch there. The gardens are very nice but service for lunch was poor and the chicken we ordered was under cooked with blood at the bone, I was afraid my daughter may have become ill. preparation and thorough cooking and kitchen hygiene is vital everywhere but particularly in Africa. I returned most of the meal uneaten and did not book to stay overnight.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Sorry for the delay in responding but we wanted to conduct a thorough investigation into your review and discuss the matter with all the managers, kitchen staff and waiters who were on duty during November, December 2013 and January 2014.

The owners of the Purdy Arms have a combined hospitality and food hygiene experience of over 60 years in both Kenya and abroad and one of us is always on duty, particularly over lunch and dinner times. No one can recollect such an incident nor understand what lunch dish you could have ordered with chicken on the bone.

All finished meals are closely monitored in order to ensure that everything is to our customers satisfaction and again no one can recollect any such return or complaint being made.

We take food hygiene very seriously with both regular internal reviews and third party external consultants brought in to ensure that the highest standards are in place and being maintained. Both the young children of one of the owners regularly eat at the Purdy Arms together with their friends which is even further motivation to ensure that such standards are achieved and surpassed.

We would be grateful if you could contact us and ask for one of the owners so that we can discuss this matter further so we can fully understand and conclude the investigation into the serious incident you discuss. We would also like to take the opportunity to show you the kitchen to put your mind at rest with regards to the kitchen hygiene.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed one night before Safari to Tanzania. Room was already ready in the morning when my friend arrived first. They have very nice bar, restaurant and big pleasant garden. It was really nice to drink glasses of wine in the garden during day time. They have archery facility too.

I was a little bit worry about the location because I thought Karen area was a little bit far from Nairobi town area. However it was about 20 minutes taxi ride to the Silver Springs hotel where shuttles departs to Arusha (but on Saturday morning.) Also we caught 8am bus to Arusha, and Purdy Arms prepared our breakfast at 6 am because we needed to leave at 7am. And they set the table ready when I went to dining room at 6pm!

Their food in the restaurant was really nice. Avocado pizza was really delicious and unique. Seafood soup was great and I really loved their Tilapia. Portion was really big and I could not finis my main. Breakfast was good too but nothing very special.

We stayed in Manba room. Room was small, located in ground floor but old and cozy. No problem with hot shower and water pressure. There are a lot of mosquitos. However they provided spray in the room, so no worries!

After the long day of long flight and sight seeing of Nairobi. We back to Purdy Arms. Just before going to bed, I found out that they did not change the bed linen at all. I was freaked out a lot of hairs those were not MINE sticked on the bed sheets, duvet, pillow case etc. It was about 12AM. I asked twice and they finally changed bed linen and it was completed about 1AM. I did not expect that they did not change the sheets. Since my friend could check in in the morning, I suspected that they might not clean up the room. This incident was only my disappointment.

Except bed linen, I had good time in Purdy Arms. But I think I will try other hotel when I will go to Nairobi next time.

Room Tip: -Check if bed linen are fresh right after check in! Because they might not change it! -Drink wine...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of the Purdy Arms, Karen.

We are pleased that you had a good time and enjoyed our extensive gardens and restaurant menu. We pride ourselves in the homely bed and breakfast which we offer, and are so pleased when our guests and friends appreciate this.

I was surprised with your comment on the bed linen as, with all guests, I personally supervised the room being prepared for your early check in.

However, we have taken your concerns to heart and have made sure that any guest requests for change of bed linen can be immediately attended to regardless of the time, day or night.

We do hope to welcome you back for some more glasses of wine in our unique garden setting.
Pavenham, Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I booked the "cheetah" room for one night prior to departing on our safari. As soon as we arrived at the Purdy Arms/Blix Inn, we were cursing ourselves for not booking at least two nights in order to fully enjoy the place. The room was HUGE and well appointed, though the water pressure/temp in the shower was not working (often the case in Kenya anyway). We missed out on the famous pizza in the bar, but enjoyed some Tusker and the hospitality the staff and resident cats and dog. My cousin, who is currently living and studying in Nairobi, joined us late that night, and it was nice of staff to let us linger into the wee hours rather than pushing us out so they could stop working. The next morning, we had a really nice full English breakfast on the terrace and enjoyed watching the birds. I'mm so mad we didn't have time to explore the massive, lush garden! We would definitely stay here again if we are ever back in Nairobi!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
We wish you'd stayed longer too! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a kind review which we have shared with the staff. Its great that there hard work and dedication is rewarded.

We try to create a relaxing atmosphere and spend a lot of time enjoying the grounds ourselves when we are not working. The gardens are truly unique.

Can't wait to welcome you back if you are ever in Nairobi again.

Thanks so much.
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Purdy Arms was the Getaway I needed from the Bustling Nairobi-ness.

after having spent 3 weeks in Westlands & Upperhill. My 3rd Friday in east Africa called for a change from the corporate hotel environment

I was blessed to stumble upon Purdy Arms in Karen Blixen by recommendation of a Restaurant Manager nearby.

I will fight the traffic in future to stay here!

• Stayed June 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Pros:
Pizza is excellent.
Rooms are excellent
Distance from my house is excellent
Selection of Booze is excellent
Staff are excellent
Prices are excellent
wifi is brilliant
late night coffees are brilliant

Cons:
Karaoke vocals could be better

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Purdy Arms? Share your experiences!