“Was great, but now not so great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of About Thyme

About Thyme
Corner of Peponi Road and Eldama Ravine Road | Westlands, Nairobi 14150 - 00800, Kenya
Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 343 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: European, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Nairobi, Kenya
“Was great, but now not so great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Went to the restaurant once, it was very nice. the food was very nice, service great.

Went back a 2nd time and the experience was the opposite. Food was terrible, had to send everything back. Only thing we ate was the dessert, which was really not quite as good as the last time.

Not planning to visit again. What a pity. Consistency is key, especially with food.

Visited June 2014

Nairobi
“Quaint place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

No dislikes, only likes!. Reception is friendly, staff courteous, the owner is very very helpful in helping to select the right choice of food. All in all do not mind going again and again.....

Visited May 2014
nairobi
“Girls night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

One of my girls suggested this place for a quiet cozy dinner. We were not disappointed. I had eaten a rather heavy lunch so decided to tuck into their special pie of the day which was "strawberry and rhubarb pie served hot with vanilla ice cream". It was quite a generous serving which of coz i appreciated. The pastry was perfect so was the strawberry and rhubarb filling. The combination of hot pie and ice cream made my taste buds explode with delight. I tasted my friend's lamb...it was so tender and delicately spiced. The honey glazed chicken wings and calamari that my friend ordered was also excellent. The attention to service by our waiter was impeccable. I topped up the pie with delicious hot chocolate. definitely going back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“It was about time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I had been trying to get here for a while. It was a very nice venue for our party of four. We sat outside and it was very pleasant. The menu had numerous choices that I would like to try. I had the smoked sailfish which was served on a chive crepe with a lemon & mustard dressing as my starter, and this was excellent. I also stole a chicken wing and this was coated in honey and very nice. For my main I chose the Tuna Steak which was marinated in a honey and soy sauce, barbequed to your taste and served with wasabi mayonnaise. My quibble with this dish was the way the fish had been cut. They included the blood line which, when I hit it was rather unpleasant and detracted from what was an excellent dish. Lastly, being well sated the four of us shared a strawberry and rhubarb pudding with ice cream. Also very good. I would certainly recommend give this place a try and, as said before, there is much more I wish to try on this menu so will certainly be coming back again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“An oasis - but then its the food..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

A relaxing oasis. Big variety of places to dine. Terrace. Indoors. Garden. In shadow or in the sun. Lots of vegetation around.
A real peaceful place.
But then its the food. Falalel with beetroot tsatziki flr starter. The falafels really dry and fell in pieces, The tzatziki was really watery.
Orangeconfited duckleg as main. Tough old duck - had really to fight with it to be able to cut pieces of meat. Mashed potatoes were fine - but the sauce really over chilied. Way to strong....
But both plates were beautiful.
To look at.
For dessert - the trio of creme brulé. No. No. No. This was more of whipped old cream.
But a beautiful plate.
To look at.

Hmm.. so of course I will give About Thyme a second chance.
For the environment.
And maybe stick to coctails.

But oh.. The espresso was perfect.

• Visited April 2014