“Good food, good setting....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of About Thyme

About Thyme
Corner of Peponi Road and Eldama Ravine Road | Westlands, Nairobi 14150 - 00800, Kenya
Improve this listing
Ranked #84 of 318 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: European, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good food, good setting....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

About thyme offers tasty food with the option to sit out on the terrace. Mains are reasonably priced and the free bitings are a nice touch. I have tended to find the starters a tad disappointing, especially in relation to their desserts, which are particularly good. Nice place for a quiet dinner, and definitely worth a try!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

68% Recommend
nairobi
“Great restaurant, fantastic atmosphere, amazing value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Tucked in a little corner in Westlands, Nairobi, About Thyme is a wonderful place for an intimate meal, especially dinner.
I found the restaurant decorated with some fairy lights that gave the place the place a great romantic ambiance.

The service was average for dinner with a little bit of a wait for the appetizer. It was also mojito night and which was a pleasant surprise.
The food was cooked really well although i found the sticky orange chicken too bitter for my taste. The oysters and tuna that my wife had were perfect though

Only negative thing i found was the mosquitos. Ther perils of eating outside i suppose.

The prices charged were very fair and the staff waiting were really enthusiastic and happy to help.
I would strongly recommend this restaurant for dinner. I will definitely go back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the Congo
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I went with friends as it was mojito night (buy one get one free...or the first free...I can't remember. I think there is a deal one night each week). Atmosphere is romantic and lovely. Food was carefully prepared and nicely presented. I had borscht which was a bit disappointing (but I am a borscht snob -- my companions loved it) and then a fantastic risotto. Desserts got good reviews as well. All in all, a perfect place for a special evening out.

Visited January 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good convienient place for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Given the traffic situation in Westlands we ventured back to About Thyme after a few years recently.

We were pleasantly surprised with quality of food upon your return. Maybe the menu has changed over the years but it was a great lunch; also the kids enjoyed themselves alot.

The only downside was that the waiter that we had was a new member of staff and not very versed in the menu and procedures, but none the less it was a great experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Roodepoort, South Africa
“Excellent, make sure you go there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My friend took me to About Thyme – I recognized the name of the restaurant – it was listed in the hotel brochure. I did not know what to expect and it was great. The restaurant is an old renovated house with a European flair and a menu that offered descriptive and interesting options – international cuisine. My friend recommended the red snapper and it was by far the best fish that I have ever had! The grilled vegetables accompanying the fish formed a perfect combination. We did not stay for desert, but the Kenyan coffee offered a great end to a lovely meal. The restaurant offered us intimate and special dining and I definitely recommend it.
Sit outside and definitely try the red snapper!

• Visited November 2013