“Good times!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Good times!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Enjoyed the service, food and ambiance! The host was very pleasant and patient in explaining the food, the ritual and the history to some of the folks who had never eaten Ethiopian food before.

One glaring omission -- no sambusa! Don't miss the coffee ceremony in the little hut :-)

Visited May 2014

82% Recommend
Nairobi
“Good Ethiopian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Looking for Ethiopian food, you have found it. Staff are friendly service very good. Though the washrooms need attention.

Visited March 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
“Authentic ethiopian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I went to Abyssinia with my ethiopian housemate. I already loved the food and was very curious if she would also like it. She did!! She said it's very good and also authentic. Staff is super friendly, prices are fair and the food is just delicious!! Each time we went, we ordered those big plates where everybody can try from everything. I forgot all the amharic names for the dishes but everything we tried was really good. If you are not so decisive, the staff members will help you to choose from their menu. There is also a coffee ceremony afterwards with salty popcorn. yummy! All in all my favourite restaurant in Nairobi so far :)

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lagos
“First Time in an Ethiopian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Prior to coming to Abyssinia I had neither eaten any Ethiopian meal nor had I gone to an Ethiopian restaurant. When a friend asked that we meet there, I was skeptical. Not being much of a foodie, I was apprehensive. I found Abyssinia to be a deeply traditional setting steeped in culture. The staff are friendly and displayed what I later learnt were Ethiopian way of greeting. Abe and Shitu (the run the place) were quite kind enough to teach me how to eat my meal in the traditional Ethiopian style. I am not so adventurous with food but the meal was great. I was able to use my fingers. We shared a platter and all four of us at the table had a great time. I took some great photos to keep the memory of the treat. I will be happy to go there. I missed taking the traditional Ethiopian tea though as I was late for another appointment. Well I guess there is always a next time.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi
“Best Ethiopian food in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have been coming to this place for quiet some time and I have always enjoyed this food ... I think this is the best place in Nairobi to enjoy Ethiopian food