“Nice one - Value for money!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Emerald

You added The Hotel Emerald to your Saves list
The Hotel Emerald
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Woodvale Grove | Krishna Centre Westlands, Nairobi 13839-00800, Kenya   |
Ranked #42 of 145 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Nice one - Value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hi, I stayed for five nights at this hotel on Business. At the first we did face some issues with internet (must have been one off cases) and AC. Dev, the Hotel GM responded quickly, personally took initiative to fix the issue and see that we have a good time for the rest of the stay.

The staff was good, responsive and cared, centrally located, safe, good service is something that I recommend. Gym, variety in breakfast is something that can be improved...

Over-all value for money!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Gnaneshwar T

Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days....1st day was a little bit issue with few things not in place. But proactive approach of Manager Mr. Dev set everything right and we enjoyed our stay afterwards. Restaurant is amazing, staff very helpful..Location is amazing...Value for money....The only thing I missed in the hotel was a swimming pool and a gym, but otherwise...everything is great...

Room Tip: Before finalizing the room, just check the cell phone connectivity as in few rooms cellphone signals...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank girish_manchanda
Sherfield On Loddon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Huge spotless rooms with a fridge and, if you need it, good A/C, some with lovely big balconies. Staff are obliging and the laundry is one of the best I've ever encountered quick, not excessively pricy and the clothes are well washed (without excessive bleach) and ironed. Wifi is fast and easy to get on to most of the time and the area has several restaurants and bars to suit various tastes (Thai, Kenyan Indian, 5* European, Italian, KFC, Pizza etc etc. Also a good Naivas supermarket if, like me you don't want to eat out all the time.

The major let downs were:

1. In the interesting restaurant - if only they could do a decent breakfast I'd give them a tip top write-up. The attempt to save a couple of bucks on catering costs is counter productive. The very pleasant owner should bring in a consultant executive chef to get things sorted. Almost there but not quite; and
2. The lack of hot water in the wash basins - surely that isn't such a huge saving - I hate wet shaving in cold water!!

I'm going to go back as my company books me this place but I'll be looking for somewhere better nearby if I can find it!!

Room Tip: Try and get a larger one with a balcony as the balcony furniture is very comfortable
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SVfromUK
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

this November i, from Chennai India, went for safari in Masai Mara-Kenya I stayed in Emerald to make it a focal point of stay before traveling to Masai Mara and Naivasha on different dates..... i found Emerald best suited to stay and visit places from there Emerald to me is very economical ,compact and decent rooms, nice bed to sleep with mosquito nets , good view of city from 6th and 7th floors, very attentive and caring staff, good restaurant serving special requests for breakfast (strict vegetarian for me), all at affordable rates!!!!!! the best money could buy for with highly service oriented staff lead by the ever smiling and caring General Manager.... situated at the heart of city , close to Delta and PWC towers..... wish all future travelers to take a chance to stay here and enjoy the BEST OF SERVICES..... u have forex in the first floor .... no need to move outside... very good parking space.... felt easy with friendly atmosphere.... as a person who has worked in Africa for 8-9 years, stayed in so many class of hotels, would say that my stay last month in emerald was very comfortable and satisfactory...for the value i spent...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the Congo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Nicely appointed with a great bathroom (nice bathtub, big sink, fluffy towels, shelves to put your things, lights in different places, all clean and new), a balcony and changing area. There are a tea kettle, fridge, safe, mosquito netting, and small bottle of water every day. Part of the corridor space is open-air so the hotel is fresh and feels spacious. Wifi is decent, though subject to random disappearances. I didn't find the rooms insufferably loud, but I am used to staying in hovels and my standards for noise are much more generous than they used to be, so maybe don't take my word on that. I like being near Sarit.

Best advantage is the staff. I left a small object in my room and they contacted me right away to let me know they had it and offered to either keep it until my next visit or send it to me! Very professional, honest and committed to making you feel at home and safe.

Downside is that there is one small elevator to service the whole building and Emerald is on floors 6 and 7 -- with a barred stairwell so you don't have any choice and will spend a lot of time in an elevator queue. Another negative is that if you arrive before 8am, breakfast is not as nice as its beautiful circular dining room, serving only one juice (albeit fresh-squeezed), a bit of fruit, black tea and coffee, cups of yoghurt (with almonds, cashews and raisins as toppers) and the obligatory wheatabix and cornflakes. The hot breakfast is to order, your choice of sausage, bacon, omelet, beans and toast. Okay maybe that description sounds better than I intended it to -- but for an ovo-vegetarian it's not so great :) By 8 or 8.30 they’ve also assembled two buffet hot dishes, more cut fruit, and two more juices. The Spanish omelet is generous and well-made and you get a whole bowl of beans. For a review of the restaurant itself, look up Vista on Trip Advisor. Finally, I was bummed there is no gym, but if you are really keen you can get day passes to the fitness center in Sarit.

If you are eager for such details, check-in is 2pm and check-out is 11am. Hotel website is http://thehotelemerald.com/

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for about 3 days...very good hotel, nice accommodation and hospitality. ..unfortunately it's not well located...standing on the ground floor you would not imagine there is such a magnificent hotel

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
Islamabad, Pakistan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My colleague and I stayed at Hotel Emerald last month.
What I didn't realise is that the hotel is on the 6th and 7th floor of an office block. Not ideal in terms of security, but also not terrible. I saw comments on noise, but I didn't notice anything.

Positive:
The rooms were nice and clean, the furniture was new, the shower is really good, and the bed was very comfortable.
The Emerald staff is extremely friendly, hospitable, and helpful. They are great!

Room for improvement:
The breakfast is a little disappointing and unimaginative.
Somehow my booking had vanished.
My colleague was not provided with a mosquito net in his room.
The first morning I received a wake up call at 0500, which was not meant for me.

All in all, I would say I had a pleasant stay, but it was also not great. In my opinion, Emerald is not worth the 120 USD they charge per night.

However, should my preferred hotels all be booked, I will definitely consider returning to Hotel Emerald.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business