“Kitchen needs attention” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 341 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Pizza, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Set in 21 acres of Karen, a leafy suburb twenty kilometers Southwest of Nairobi, lies the Purdy Arms. With a view of the famed knuckled ridge of the Ngong Hills (“I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills” – Karen Blixen, Out of Africa) it is a relaxing place to stay, have a meal or drink or two.
Ukunda, Kenya
“Kitchen needs attention”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

As one of the few restaurants in the Karen / Langata area that is super for Children we collected the various cousins for a family lunch , service great but as in so many places in Nairobi food mediocre bordering on poor . The ' Ribs ' ( after overhearing the manager ) were definitely not '' Too die for '' , my first reaction was that they tasted of bacon , so much for the marinade , My partners ' Chicken Kiev ' looked like a big burnt scotch egg , and apparently it tasted ' Dry ' , more attention needs to be spent by management in the catering department otherwise you will 'slip behind ' like so many other examples

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you find the restaurant child friendly as this is one of the major reasons we took the trouble to open it up as one of the owners has two young children themselves, and they also found there were very few places in Karen / Langata that they could take them.

However, we are sorry that the food did not meet your or our expectations for our guests and friends. It is a shame that you did not point out the issues to the owner who you overheard, as we take customer feedback to heart and would have made every effort to rectify the issues immediately, This is why one of the owners is nearly always available on duty.

You will be pleased to note that we have made significant changes to the kitchen since December 2013 to accommodate the large number of visitors we are welcoming at the weekends.

We agree that this marinade does make the pork ribs have a taste of bacon, and have received positive feedback on this. However, following your review we are looking into offering an alternative range of marinades for the ribs, and indeed the kitchen has already started with trials of this.

Finally we also shared your review with all of our kitchen and senior staff over the weekend with regards to how disappointed you were. They all took this to heart and promised to redouble their efforts to produce consistency in the food. The Chicken Kiev is one of our best sellers, and should certainly have not tasted dry, and would not have become popular if it always did.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies that your experience was not what we hope and expect to provide our friends and guests, and rest assured that we continue to work night and day to try and attain the highest standards possible.

Nairobi
“Wonderful place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We are addicted to Purdy Arms wondeful place! Great food, friendly atmosphere, beautiful gardens that keep the kids busy. The pub has a great buzz in the evenings.Only down side is the service is a bit slow but the food is well worth the wait.

Visited December 2013
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. We do try to create a friendly relaxed atmosphere and are so pleased that you think that we have achieved this.

We have shared your review with all the staff and the waiters noted your comments and promised to try and improve the speed of service. At their suggestion we have started to put in place, and will expand, remote service points and additional bars in order to be able to serve all our guests and friends quicker when we are busy.

Thanks again for kind comments and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.
Glasgow
“Enjoyable afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Good food - portions just the right size.
Lovely gardens.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Reasonable value.
Seemed to be bus, have many regulars and family friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“What a godsend for families in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have had several lovely meals at Purdy Arms over the past month- every time a total success with parents and kids alike. The gardens are lovely with plenty to keep the kids (ours aged 5 and 2 1/2 years) occupied and happy. Meanwhile we can relax under a tree keeping an eye on them and enjoy the great service - Tuskers always cold and promptly delivered! The kids menu is great. They always eat so well after all that running around and tell us it's all 'so yummy!'. And our food has always been very enjoyable too- there's something for everyone on the menu. The staff (especially Julie) are charming and attentive. The xmas carols event with Santa arriving in a helicopter was a total success - highlight of my kids year! We will be frequenting whenever we are in Karen, especially with the additions of a lovely salon, shop (bought fabulous necklace there), and lovely artwork usually on the walls which you can buy. Thank god for Purdy Arms. Families DO GO!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Terrible place - Ruined a 60th birthday party”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This place is beyond awful. In all my years, I have never come across a restaurant that is this terrible in terms of services, public relations and quality.

I chose this place particularly for my mother's 60th birthday. We were a party of approximately 8 women all of whom were very excited to try something new. The decor in the place is simple and the ambiance is very pleasant - something rare now in the cosmopolitan jungle Nairobi is turning into.

I had made a special cake for my mother's 60th and had called ahead to inform them about this. Also my mother's friend like to drink Sangria and so the owner (either Cathy or Jules) informed me that I must order this over 24 hours in advance (which I did).

When we got there I gave the cake to the waiter and informed him to let the chef and manager know that it is our cake. Now to begin with, what was the point in making us order 24 hours in advance for Sangria when you make it right then? Not only had they not prepared it in advance after pretty much insisting we order it in advance but it took 45 minutes to come. Now I'm a big traveller and actually have lived in Barcelona for 6 months and I KNOW good sangria cannot be made in 45 minutes. But we decided to forgive them about this.

The food was mediocre. I've had better at local cafe's across Nairobi. I ordered as a starter the Spinach and Ricotta ravioli in a creamy mushroom sauce - they had put cheddar cheese on-top instead of parmesan and the cheese's oil had split so my ravioli was swimming in oil (pretty disgusting) and the ravioli was undercooked (definitely under al-dente). The pizza's were good though.

Now the whopper. After lunch we were waiting for the cake to come out all excited when the manager informs us that there has been a mix up and they have given my beautiful chocolate mousse chiffon cake (took me ages to perfect it) to another table. You can imagine how angry we were. I mean, we were forgiving up until then. We had put up with bad service where the waiters would take ages (I waited 45 minutes for my starter, drink and main course), rudeness from them and now they tell us our cake was "by mistake" given to someone else?! have never heard of such a thing at a restaurant.

The manager came to apologize who was not more than 3 months old. I must say he was a nice guy and its a shame something like this had to happen when he was so new. But the OWNER (Yes, i don't know whether it was Cathy or Jules) was standing right there watching all this chaos unravel. She refused to come apologize even though she had seen how upset we were and in fact made a nasty face at us during this whole event. Now, I'm not one to call out people when they are being racist but this woman certainly is the biggest racist I have come across in Nairobi.

We were appalled by how badly they handled everything and they ruined what was meant to be a joyous occasion for my mother. I would not recommend this place to anyone and will never visit again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
We can only again apologise for your experience at the Purdy Arms, as having just celebrated being open for one year, we do pride ourselves in what we have achieved in this short time. It was an inexcusable mistake that your cake was given to another table and we immediately redoubled the staff training to ensure that such an incident never occurs again. I and all of the owners and staff of Purdy Arms are truly upset that this happens and can again only apologise for this mistake and assure you that it won't happen again.

It is unfortunate that you did not meet any of the owners as one was out of the country at the time and the other was arranging a large party in the garden. We do not know who was making a nasty face at you but can assure you that it was not one of the owners. Although we tried to compensate you through complimenting the bill for your whole party we would still like to take the opportunity to invite you back to meet with the owners as we would very much like to apologise in person.