“What a godsend for families in Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 355 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Indian, Pizza, Barbecue, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set in 21 acres of Karen, a leafy suburb twenty kilometers Southwest of Nairobi, lies the Purdy Arms. With a view of the famed knuckled ridge of the Ngong Hills (“I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills” – Karen Blixen, Out of Africa) it is a relaxing place to stay, have a meal or drink or two.
London, United Kingdom
“What a godsend for families in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have had several lovely meals at Purdy Arms over the past month- every time a total success with parents and kids alike. The gardens are lovely with plenty to keep the kids (ours aged 5 and 2 1/2 years) occupied and happy. Meanwhile we can relax under a tree keeping an eye on them and enjoy the great service - Tuskers always cold and promptly delivered! The kids menu is great. They always eat so well after all that running around and tell us it's all 'so yummy!'. And our food has always been very enjoyable too- there's something for everyone on the menu. The staff (especially Julie) are charming and attentive. The xmas carols event with Santa arriving in a helicopter was a total success - highlight of my kids year! We will be frequenting whenever we are in Karen, especially with the additions of a lovely salon, shop (bought fabulous necklace there), and lovely artwork usually on the walls which you can buy. Thank god for Purdy Arms. Families DO GO!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nairobi, Kenya
“Terrible place - Ruined a 60th birthday party”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This place is beyond awful. In all my years, I have never come across a restaurant that is this terrible in terms of services, public relations and quality.

I chose this place particularly for my mother's 60th birthday. We were a party of approximately 8 women all of whom were very excited to try something new. The decor in the place is simple and the ambiance is very pleasant - something rare now in the cosmopolitan jungle Nairobi is turning into.

I had made a special cake for my mother's 60th and had called ahead to inform them about this. Also my mother's friend like to drink Sangria and so the owner (either Cathy or Jules) informed me that I must order this over 24 hours in advance (which I did).

When we got there I gave the cake to the waiter and informed him to let the chef and manager know that it is our cake. Now to begin with, what was the point in making us order 24 hours in advance for Sangria when you make it right then? Not only had they not prepared it in advance after pretty much insisting we order it in advance but it took 45 minutes to come. Now I'm a big traveller and actually have lived in Barcelona for 6 months and I KNOW good sangria cannot be made in 45 minutes. But we decided to forgive them about this.

The food was mediocre. I've had better at local cafe's across Nairobi. I ordered as a starter the Spinach and Ricotta ravioli in a creamy mushroom sauce - they had put cheddar cheese on-top instead of parmesan and the cheese's oil had split so my ravioli was swimming in oil (pretty disgusting) and the ravioli was undercooked (definitely under al-dente). The pizza's were good though.

Now the whopper. After lunch we were waiting for the cake to come out all excited when the manager informs us that there has been a mix up and they have given my beautiful chocolate mousse chiffon cake (took me ages to perfect it) to another table. You can imagine how angry we were. I mean, we were forgiving up until then. We had put up with bad service where the waiters would take ages (I waited 45 minutes for my starter, drink and main course), rudeness from them and now they tell us our cake was "by mistake" given to someone else?! have never heard of such a thing at a restaurant.

The manager came to apologize who was not more than 3 months old. I must say he was a nice guy and its a shame something like this had to happen when he was so new. But the OWNER (Yes, i don't know whether it was Cathy or Jules) was standing right there watching all this chaos unravel. She refused to come apologize even though she had seen how upset we were and in fact made a nasty face at us during this whole event. Now, I'm not one to call out people when they are being racist but this woman certainly is the biggest racist I have come across in Nairobi.

We were appalled by how badly they handled everything and they ruined what was meant to be a joyous occasion for my mother. I would not recommend this place to anyone and will never visit again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
We can only again apologise for your experience at the Purdy Arms, as having just celebrated being open for one year, we do pride ourselves in what we have achieved in this short time. It was an inexcusable mistake that your cake was given to another table and we immediately redoubled the staff training to ensure that such an incident never occurs again. I and all of the owners and staff of Purdy Arms are truly upset that this happens and can again only apologise for this mistake and assure you that it won't happen again.

It is unfortunate that you did not meet any of the owners as one was out of the country at the time and the other was arranging a large party in the garden. We do not know who was making a nasty face at you but can assure you that it was not one of the owners. Although we tried to compensate you through complimenting the bill for your whole party we would still like to take the opportunity to invite you back to meet with the owners as we would very much like to apologise in person.
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“I am in love with Purdy Arms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We actually live in Nairobi but love Purdy Arms so much we try and stay over every few weeks. So many good things:

- Really helpful staff.
- Owners are super friendly and helpful too.
- Lovely intimate atmosphere (don't come here if you want a big hotel chain)
- Quirky, clean, trendy, personalised rooms
- Great buzz in the evening
- Great selection and tasting food and lots of drink options
- Reasonably priced
- Set in large beautiful gardens which are great for kids to run around
- Same compound there is a spa so very convenient if you want a treatment e.g massage, manicure, etc

Bad things:
- Ummmmmm wish it was closer to where I live :)

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“A lovely place for a pub lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place has great reviews, and really does live up to them. As gastro pub as I think you can get in Kenya (my starter was samosas.... which, with the tomato chuntney that they were served with, were delicious), this was a fantastic place to get a relaxed sunday lunch in before, heading to Ngong races which are held just down the road. Lovely staff, serving you on a great terrace amongst the flowers and trees. With both the rain and shine, we had a great time.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nairobi, Kenya
“Our favourite place to eat & drink & chill in Kenya!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

A local's hang out! In the suburb of Karen, outside Nairbobi city - nestled in a beautiful garden setting! You can sit here and eat and drink all day - which I do, with free wifi! The staff are so friendly. This is a great place for grown ups and kids - with fabulous family days at the weekend with bouncy castles, play equipment, build-your-own pizzas for kids..and a relaxed, lovely setting for adults (you can let your kids roam free and enjoy adult time). You can even get your hair & nails done, or try a spot of archery! This is my daily hang out when in Kenya. Great coffee! You'll be back, day in day out!

Visited November 2013