“atrocious service” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Nairobi
“atrocious service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My son and I went there for dinner today. At 6.15 pm the waiter told us the buffet was all ready, food was just being laid out. We opted to come back later and said we would return in 10 minutes. Half an hour later, the manager said the buffet would be ready in about 15 minutes. When I protested, there was no apology, no interest in making things right. We walked out - I suggest you never walk in.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Zohaib M, Owner at Lal Qila, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hi Nairobi Khan,

I would like to apologize for the experience you had at our restaurant. I absolutely understand your frustration. Our opening hours are clearly stated at the entrance of the restaurant. We open for Ala-carte lunch between, 12-3pm and Buffet dinner between 7pm- Till Late.

As you have said you came in at 6.15pm and the buffet was not ready, you came back at 6.45pm and buffet was still not ready the manager asked you for 15 mins which meant 7pm, exactly our opening time for the buffet. i understand there might have been a miscommunication with the waiter and I am very sorry about that.

I kindly request you to give us another chance, and I promise for much better service this time round.

Warm Regards,

Zohaib Mohammed

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Best buffet option in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I personally love this restaurant because I like to eat, a lot, and so for me Lal qila's got the best buffet in town because it's reasonably priced giving you full value for money for all you can eat. It's got a massive variety in terms of food and it's also got its own traditional ambiance going for it, its got its own class, great atmosphere to be dining in. I highly recommend this place!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Zohaib M, Owner at Lal Qila, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hi Billy,

Thank you very much for taking time to write about us. We really appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,

Zohaib Mohammed
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Carnivores Rejoice (and Veg Eaters, Don't Worry)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you like meat, go over to the grill and just ask what they have... then watch as they pile your plate full of juicy, perfectly cooked meat such as lamb chops (my favorite), fish and various kebabs of chicken and mutton. Not a fan of meat? The palak paneer, though not as thick as many Indian restaurants, is very good. I went with my wife and two of our friends and we all loved it. One other thing to try is the lassi. Traditionally it is salty, but you can order it sweet. Personally I like sweet with just a pinch of salt. For the money - the buffet is only 1150Ksh (about 13USD) - this is hard to beat in Nairobi.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Zohaib M, Owner at Lal Qila, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hi Paul M, thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your thoughts. Its wonderful to hear that you had a good experience and we plan to continue to impress you!

Thanks,

Zohaib
Nairobi, Kenya
“Value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My family and I probably went loaded with expectations fed in part by the substantial amount of advertising deployed around the streets of Nairobi.
Our experience was good. In all likelihood, we were not hungry enough to give justice to the full-scale buffet on offer. The grill is mouth-watering, and all the other dishes are fairly good quality. In some, the taste of butter is perhaps a tad too prominent.
This is probably the place with the richest selection of Indian-Pakistani desserts we have come across so far.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Zohaib M, Owner at Lal Qila, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hi Giorgio B, Thank you very much for taking your time to review us.

Your assertion: "The grill is mouth-watering" is really appreciated. I will definitely look into the butter taste being too prominent in some dishes.

We hope to see you soon again.

Zohaib