“Awesome, Authentic African Food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #131 of 384 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Amaica is an indigenous Kenyan five star restaurant chain that provides an engaging cultural experience for customers. We are renowned for our authentic African food, service excellence based on African hospitality standards, set in an African environment to enhance your experience. Providing healthy, balanced and unique African dishes from around the country. Amaica offers the perfect environment for dining out as well as celebrating special occasions. Amaica Peponi is located in Nairobi's Westlands area. Located in the green leafy suburbs and set against the backdrop of Karura Forest, Amaica Peponi is the ideal getaway for friends, colleagues and family. Amaica JKIA is found within the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Located in the international departures terminal 1A Level 2 at the food court.Overlooking the Airport parking apron, runway and hangars, Amaica JKIA guests are treated to a scenic view that has customers enthralled by planes taking off and landing as well beautiful sunrise and sunset moments.
Kyiv, Kyyivs'ka Oblast', Ukraine
“Awesome, Authentic African Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We visited Amaica Westlands on Easter Saturday and were blown away. The service was excellent and our server understood the dishes and was able to make very good recommendations.

We had the fried beef with Chapati, Whole Fried Tilapia with Brown Wimbi Ugali and traditional greens. The food came in a very timely manner - a half hour from ordering - and the portions were massive. I couldn't finish mine though I have a healthy appetite.

The starters seemed delicious and we settled for the chicken wings which though small, were delicious and mouthwatering. We washed all this down with fresh passion and mango juice.

The table came to KES 3,600 - very reasonable for a well served meal for two.

The ambience is excellent - The decor is traditional African and outside, the restaurant is surrounded by trees through which vervet monkeys swing and play all day long.

I was apprehensive as I had read some not so good reviews about the place but after our Easter experience, I am all in.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Kenya
“Food poisoning alert”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Visited with a group of 6 friends, most of all who've suffered extreme food poisoning. Avoid!

Service was poor and staff had to be repeatedly reminded about orders. Food portions were not that great considering the prices and the food was not tasty. Overall a very poor dining experience further exacerbated by the food poisoning.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Novi, Michigan
“Wonderful Restaurant, Friendly Service, Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

My sister & I visited the restaurant & were welcomed by friendly staff. We were given a tour of the place. The owner was very graceful & friendly. The food was delicious. I will definitely visit the place next time I am in Nairobi.

Novi, Michigan
“Wonderful Restaurant - Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

My sister & I visited the restaurant & were warmly welcomed by friendly, professional staff. We asked to be shown the place & they gladly obliged. The food was excellent. The staff & the owner unobtrusively attended to our needs. I highly recommend the establishment.

1 Thank Nyakairu
USA
“Variable.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our first trip to Amaica as an absolute disaster. Granted, they had just opened. More than half the menu not available so we agreed to the chef's recommendation. We were then charged Mzungu/tourist prices at close to 3000/Kshs a person. Absolutely absurd given that we were served on literal oven trays covered in foil.
Months later we decided to try it again as a friend had chosen it to cater her wedding. Food was good, and atmosphere lovely. They'd also improved on their oven tray presentation. However they later charged the bride and groom by plated (after non-wedding guests served themselves and without explaining that folks could use different plates for different courses - really? on a buffet? to take a dirty plate for a second course?). They later presented bride and groom for a bar tab (for their PERSONAL consumption, not others) of over 20,000 Kshs when drinks were (appropriately) purchased FOR them all night and the tab included liquors they abhor. If they ran a tab for others, they should have followed up accordingly or refused tabs, esp. considering how many non-wedding guests were bellied up to the bar.
So.... long and short. If I had friends in town who had never had E African / Kenyan food, I MIGHT bring them here as their food is actually quite good. But I'd triple check the bill. Note that the drop down menu only allows me to select one visit but I have been more than once.

• Visited March 2013