“Splendid!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #107 of 341 Restaurants in Nairobi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: ORO Restaurant and Lounge NairobiDark wood, hints of gold, subtle lighting and a sense of intimacy are your invitation into ORO. Meaning ‘Gold’, ORO is Nairobi’s newest Oasis. Located in the tranquil suburb of State House it offers an escape from the city bustle. Exuding subtle elegance it provides the perfect atmosphere for a convivial catch up or romantic dinner and is ideal for Lunch or an after work drink for those working in the CBD and its environs.
Nairobi
“Splendid!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

After reading the reviews here, I decided to give it a try for my friend's birthday dinner and we were not disappointed. From the lighting as you walk in that is draped on the bamboo, to the ambiance in the restaurant and to the food. Job well done! My friend had the oriental pork ribs with chunky chips which were quite sumptuous and I had red snapper and mashed potatoes which was also quite tasty.
My only issue with it was the rather slow service (there were only 2 waiters for the entire restaurant), the fact that they do not have those nice wallets/trays to put your bill in (the waiter brought it by hand) and they did not have fish knives.
Loved the experience there and will definitely be back!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear KenyanFoodCritic,
We love food critics as they keep us on our toes all the times! Thanks for your review and for appreciating our food. All well noted….

We have just sent for fish knives, the floor manager is on board and the menu folder and bill folders have been designed and ordered. Looking forward to see you soon and thank you for motivating us to excellence. Warm regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Calm and relaxing restaurant with great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

ORO which I learned means Gold in italian is a treasure for those that like a venue that has great ambiance, a sense of intimacy and service that feels very personalized. Whether at the main bar, the dining section or outdoor patio one cannot help feel their troubles slip away. With soothing lounge music, great decor and an understated elegance it is definitely a treat to the senses.

Visited August 2013
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Christian,
thank you for having been our guest for several evenings. But also thank you for such detailed and positive review. We look forward to having you dining with us again during your next visit to Nairobi.
With warm regards
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Great evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited this place 2 weekends ago and wait staff just disappeared on us so we walked off.I decided to give it another try and had the most enjoyable dinner today.
I ordered the tomato soup and the masala fish,my wife ordered the chicken Tikka.I am not a dessert person but food was was so good a Tarrmisu dessert was great way to round off the evening.Service was great and so was the meal that I have invited some friend to join me there for drinks and dinner on Friday.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review and we are glad that you and your wife had ‘the most enjoyable evening.’ We are glad that you loved the food and even got to try the dessert. We promise you will never have to walk off again as we have increased our waiting team to ensure that there is always a dedicated person to serve you every time you come to Oro. See you (and your friends) Friday evening and we will strive to make it yet another unforgettable evening at Oro.
See you shortly....
Tunis, Tunisia
“nice to be there during summer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

the retaurant offers a nice variety of food, with a competitive prices. the choise is not big but quality food

Visited August 2013
Dear Youssef,

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate the feedback and over the next few months will be looking to welcoming you to continue enjoying our great quality food and our select variety of special meals. Come back soon as you will find air heater warming your evening on the terrace.
Nairobi
“Poor service and food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I wrote my first review here in may 2013 and had such a great experience at Oro that I decided to take my sisters and a friend last night. The attentive service was notably missing. It took about 40 minutes to get our food. When the food came it was barely edible. My sister ordered lamp chops which were burnt and oily and served without Tamarin sauce. It took another 10 minutes to get our waiter's attention to deal with. I ordered a classic burger whose beef was very dry and overcooked. My other sister ordered a chicken curry which she complained tasted purely of turmeric and did not enjoy her meal. Our friend mistakenly ordered pizza with mushroom when we wanted pasta with mushroom. While she admitted her mistake, the waiter was very unhelpful when we asked if she could change her order. All in all, we felt very disappointed by the poor service and quality of food and expected much more for a restaurant with premium charges.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear MonO,

Thank you for your visit to Oro. I highly apologise for your experience not being up to expectation. As Oro, we are committed to ensuring that you have a great experience every time you come. Unfortunately, we let you down this time. We appreciate your ongoing support and feedback; both when we do a great job and when we do not do as well as expected. Thank you for holding us up to the highest standards.

We have looked into the issues you have raised with regards to your experience on Saturday with our entire team. I wish to assure you that we have taken steps to ensure that this is never repeated.

I would also like to request also that you get in touch with us on 020-2635556 so that we can get further feedback and also see how we can make it up to you and your sisters. Apologies once again and hope you will give us a chance to give you the 'Oro' experience you have come to expect from us.

The Management - Oro Restaurant & Lounge - Nairobi