“Calm and relaxing restaurant with great service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #91 of 324 Restaurants in Nairobi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: ORO Restaurant and Lounge NairobiDark wood, hints of gold, subtle lighting and a sense of intimacy are your invitation into ORO. Meaning ‘Gold’, ORO is Nairobi’s newest Oasis. Located in the tranquil suburb of State House it offers an escape from the city bustle. Exuding subtle elegance it provides the perfect atmosphere for a convivial catch up or romantic dinner and is ideal for Lunch or an after work drink for those working in the CBD and its environs.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Calm and relaxing restaurant with great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

ORO which I learned means Gold in italian is a treasure for those that like a venue that has great ambiance, a sense of intimacy and service that feels very personalized. Whether at the main bar, the dining section or outdoor patio one cannot help feel their troubles slip away. With soothing lounge music, great decor and an understated elegance it is definitely a treat to the senses.

Visited August 2013
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Christian,
thank you for having been our guest for several evenings. But also thank you for such detailed and positive review. We look forward to having you dining with us again during your next visit to Nairobi.
With warm regards

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Great evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited this place 2 weekends ago and wait staff just disappeared on us so we walked off.I decided to give it another try and had the most enjoyable dinner today.
I ordered the tomato soup and the masala fish,my wife ordered the chicken Tikka.I am not a dessert person but food was was so good a Tarrmisu dessert was great way to round off the evening.Service was great and so was the meal that I have invited some friend to join me there for drinks and dinner on Friday.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review and we are glad that you and your wife had ‘the most enjoyable evening.’ We are glad that you loved the food and even got to try the dessert. We promise you will never have to walk off again as we have increased our waiting team to ensure that there is always a dedicated person to serve you every time you come to Oro. See you (and your friends) Friday evening and we will strive to make it yet another unforgettable evening at Oro.
See you shortly....
Tunis, Tunisia
“nice to be there during summer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

the retaurant offers a nice variety of food, with a competitive prices. the choise is not big but quality food

Visited August 2013
Dear Youssef,

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate the feedback and over the next few months will be looking to welcoming you to continue enjoying our great quality food and our select variety of special meals. Come back soon as you will find air heater warming your evening on the terrace.
Nairobi
“Poor service and food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I wrote my first review here in may 2013 and had such a great experience at Oro that I decided to take my sisters and a friend last night. The attentive service was notably missing. It took about 40 minutes to get our food. When the food came it was barely edible. My sister ordered lamp chops which were burnt and oily and served without Tamarin sauce. It took another 10 minutes to get our waiter's attention to deal with. I ordered a classic burger whose beef was very dry and overcooked. My other sister ordered a chicken curry which she complained tasted purely of turmeric and did not enjoy her meal. Our friend mistakenly ordered pizza with mushroom when we wanted pasta with mushroom. While she admitted her mistake, the waiter was very unhelpful when we asked if she could change her order. All in all, we felt very disappointed by the poor service and quality of food and expected much more for a restaurant with premium charges.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear MonO,

Thank you for your visit to Oro. I highly apologise for your experience not being up to expectation. As Oro, we are committed to ensuring that you have a great experience every time you come. Unfortunately, we let you down this time. We appreciate your ongoing support and feedback; both when we do a great job and when we do not do as well as expected. Thank you for holding us up to the highest standards.

We have looked into the issues you have raised with regards to your experience on Saturday with our entire team. I wish to assure you that we have taken steps to ensure that this is never repeated.

I would also like to request also that you get in touch with us on 020-2635556 so that we can get further feedback and also see how we can make it up to you and your sisters. Apologies once again and hope you will give us a chance to give you the 'Oro' experience you have come to expect from us.

The Management - Oro Restaurant & Lounge - Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Very good :-) :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

It was my friend’s birthday on 25th May so we settled for dinner / drinks at Oro. I contacted them via Facebook for reservations earlier and requested for the food / drinks menu which were emailed for our perusal and the reservation confirmed.

Their garden is beautiful – you can see bits from the pictures ! It’s also located in a relatively quiet neighborhood. You have can sit in the garden or indoor, the décor is subtle but very tasteful. Food was good ! Portions were great as well. A few of the ladies had cocktails which were pretty decent too.

The staff = very attentive, and we were very well looked after, though they seemed to slow down when it was time to pay (Took a wee bit longer that expected to settle the bills)

Oh and we did not have to pay corkage to bring in a birthday cake :-) (Which was a deterrent in almost all other places we looked up ) The staff kept the cake and brought it out after dinner, and helped us sing happy birthday which was pretty cool :-)

We also had a screen to watch the Champions League final. Well..the plan was to wrap up dinner then move on to a sports bar, but no one was moving ! So we ended up watching the game for there !

Great place - will certainly go back !

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Valentina K, Manager at Oro Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We wish to really thank you for appreciating us in such candid way!
And for your peace of mind, and thanks to your comment, we are in the process of acquiring a Point Of Sale System, to ensure faster and easier tracking and settling of bills. We are looking forward to hosting you once again,
(Hope I will be able to greet you in person this time)