“Low expectations worked!” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #12 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
“Low expectations worked!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I say low expectations after our high expectations before going to hemming ways Watamu last year, where we had heard all sorts of good things about the place before going. So, again, we were expecting the same kind of feeling this time but, thank goodness, we were very pleasantly surprised. Location, layout, interiors, food, service were all exceptional. Nairobi needed a place like this - well done! Prices a bit too steep, but I'm sure they'll align with the rest of the up-market places of Nairobi in a year or two. Wonderful otherwise.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Amrita J

We are glad we have raised the bar in terms of standards in Nairobi as well as with your expectations for your next visit.

Please do visit us again and let us know how it went; feel free to ask for me on your next visit; would be great to meet.

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Piece of heaven. Great suit rooms, great butler service, just in a wonderful garden. Close to karen bilsen s house museum and farm.
There is a pick up service if you donat want to walk! The spa and open swimming pool, what else one may ask
Im so spoiled here, dont want to go back home.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear DYGS_2011

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will visit again soon. Thanks for your kind sentiments.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed at Hemingways before and after a week in the Serengeti. Rooms were very nice and well furnished. Grounds were well kept and nicely manicured and food was very good. Service was somewhat inconsistent. It was very good on the arrival day stay but was botched on return visit - fruit setup in room was missing the fruit (by that I mean the napkins, cutlery, etc. were provided, but the fruit was missing- and never delivered). Housekeeping arrived to do the turn down service at 10pm- inappropriately late. Morning wakeup call was missed. Improving service consistency would make this a great place to stay,

Dear ajmia111

Thank you for your feedback and your repeat visit. It is much appreciated. We have noted your comments regarding the fruit, turndown and wake up call. Please accept my apologies for this and at the same time my assurance we will address this going forward to ensure your next stay with us will be as good as your very first one.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Hemmingways certainly have high standards not only in all their staff, who are professional and very helpful, but also in their rooms and services. We had a great suite that had all the amenities and more. The bathroom cum in-built wardrobe is a real luxury as are the surroundings. A lush garden with greenery all around. The piece and quiet is something quite rare in big hotels and it was a real treat. The food is to die for, everything we had on the menu was delicious, well presented and made with love. Thank you Hemmingways for a beautiful time and experience!

Dear smatlock10

Thank you for your feedback; it is our great pleasure to have you return and we are delighted that as per your previous visit all aspects of your experience were of our usual high standard. Many thanks for your custom and we look forward to serving you next time.

Best Regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I am not sure why Hemingways was not on my list to visit as I pass it daily. I think it was the soulless look from the outside and the mixed (at best) reviews from friends and colleagues. I decided to give it a go. As a previous hotelier, I was hopeful. I like Hemingway's in Watamu. The service was very friendly, but excruciatingly slow. It took almost 40 mins for one coffee and a lemonade to arrive. The coffee was expensive for Karen, and not good. The milk was boiled and it was average at best. It was served with 3 very dry brownies. This was a quiet time in the afternoon. A manageress was walking around, but as usual for Kenya, no approach was made to any guests. I want to like this hotel, but please get some atmosphere in there, and work on the service and the product; you are charging five-star prices but not, sadly, delivering. I love that the complex is clean and fresh. The staff are lovely, just need direction, as does the kitchen and that comes from the top. I will go back and I'd love it if Hemingway's could look at this, as it comes up a lot in conversation with locals. I would have chatted to someone had I have been able to get someone's attention.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear bluecharlie

Thanks for the feedback. 40 minutes is certainly too long a wait; please accept my apologies for that. I am glad to hear you will be back and would be grateful if you would ask for me on your next visit for a chat?

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is one of of the new Hotels in Nairobi. Its location of Karen means that it is very quite and in a a very green environment surrounded by lots and lots of trees. We decided to go there for lunch one Sunday afternoon. It seems very popular as there was not many places left to sit. Eventually a waiter got us a place to sit and we got to ordering. At first glance a the menu, it all looks very interesting and appetizing. We proceeded to order our food. I ordered the Chicken tikka while my friend ordered a steak. The food came and the steak was ok which was a bit disappointing as we expected it to be better than ok. The taste was just ok and it was not particularly super tender just average in that regard. The chicken was small and the lentils that had been promised to be spicy in the menu and thus the accompanying raita, were not spicy at all. Infact the lentils were quite bland and I had to keep adding salt and pepper. The blandness of the lentils meant that the raita was of no use and I didn't actually touch it. The chicken was ok although it was smaller than expected. For what they charge for that meal, they should at least provide slightly larger chicken pieces. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed by the food.

Dear Mschana M

Thanks for your feedback. We have taken note of your views on the food; we pride ourselves on our reputation of having fantastic food in our brasserie restaurant. We will certainly investigate the dishes you have mentioned.

Perhaps you could let me know next time you are in?

Many thanks

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I visited you restaurant while is Nairobi And the Friday King Prawn was excellent, taste and well prepared the service from the waiters and presentation was awesome couldn't get any better, it was heavenly, the restaurant view was also perfect looking forward to book a room next time am in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Always order the prawns