“Nice Accommodations, Somewhat Erratic Service” 4 of 5 stars

Hemingways Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #10 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Miami, Florida
“Nice Accommodations, Somewhat Erratic Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed at Hemingways before and after a week in the Serengeti. Rooms were very nice and well furnished. Grounds were well kept and nicely manicured and food was very good. Service was somewhat inconsistent. It was very good on the arrival day stay but was botched on return visit - fruit setup in room was missing the fruit (by that I mean the napkins, cutlery, etc. were provided, but the fruit was missing- and never delivered). Housekeeping arrived to do the turn down service at 10pm- inappropriately late. Morning wakeup call was missed. Improving service consistency would make this a great place to stay,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear ajmia111

Thank you for your feedback and your repeat visit. It is much appreciated. We have noted your comments regarding the fruit, turndown and wake up call. Please accept my apologies for this and at the same time my assurance we will address this going forward to ensure your next stay with us will be as good as your very first one.

Simon H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Hemmingways certainly have high standards not only in all their staff, who are professional and very helpful, but also in their rooms and services. We had a great suite that had all the amenities and more. The bathroom cum in-built wardrobe is a real luxury as are the surroundings. A lush garden with greenery all around. The piece and quiet is something quite rare in big hotels and it was a real treat. The food is to die for, everything we had on the menu was delicious, well presented and made with love. Thank you Hemmingways for a beautiful time and experience!

Dear smatlock10

Thank you for your feedback; it is our great pleasure to have you return and we are delighted that as per your previous visit all aspects of your experience were of our usual high standard. Many thanks for your custom and we look forward to serving you next time.

Best Regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I am not sure why Hemingways was not on my list to visit as I pass it daily. I think it was the soulless look from the outside and the mixed (at best) reviews from friends and colleagues. I decided to give it a go. As a previous hotelier, I was hopeful. I like Hemingway's in Watamu. The service was very friendly, but excruciatingly slow. It took almost 40 mins for one coffee and a lemonade to arrive. The coffee was expensive for Karen, and not good. The milk was boiled and it was average at best. It was served with 3 very dry brownies. This was a quiet time in the afternoon. A manageress was walking around, but as usual for Kenya, no approach was made to any guests. I want to like this hotel, but please get some atmosphere in there, and work on the service and the product; you are charging five-star prices but not, sadly, delivering. I love that the complex is clean and fresh. The staff are lovely, just need direction, as does the kitchen and that comes from the top. I will go back and I'd love it if Hemingway's could look at this, as it comes up a lot in conversation with locals. I would have chatted to someone had I have been able to get someone's attention.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear bluecharlie

Thanks for the feedback. 40 minutes is certainly too long a wait; please accept my apologies for that. I am glad to hear you will be back and would be grateful if you would ask for me on your next visit for a chat?

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is one of of the new Hotels in Nairobi. Its location of Karen means that it is very quite and in a a very green environment surrounded by lots and lots of trees. We decided to go there for lunch one Sunday afternoon. It seems very popular as there was not many places left to sit. Eventually a waiter got us a place to sit and we got to ordering. At first glance a the menu, it all looks very interesting and appetizing. We proceeded to order our food. I ordered the Chicken tikka while my friend ordered a steak. The food came and the steak was ok which was a bit disappointing as we expected it to be better than ok. The taste was just ok and it was not particularly super tender just average in that regard. The chicken was small and the lentils that had been promised to be spicy in the menu and thus the accompanying raita, were not spicy at all. Infact the lentils were quite bland and I had to keep adding salt and pepper. The blandness of the lentils meant that the raita was of no use and I didn't actually touch it. The chicken was ok although it was smaller than expected. For what they charge for that meal, they should at least provide slightly larger chicken pieces. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed by the food.

Dear Mschana M

Thanks for your feedback. We have taken note of your views on the food; we pride ourselves on our reputation of having fantastic food in our brasserie restaurant. We will certainly investigate the dishes you have mentioned.

Perhaps you could let me know next time you are in?

Many thanks

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I visited you restaurant while is Nairobi And the Friday King Prawn was excellent, taste and well prepared the service from the waiters and presentation was awesome couldn't get any better, it was heavenly, the restaurant view was also perfect looking forward to book a room next time am in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Always order the prawns
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear henry k k

We are delighted you enjoyed your Prawn Friday visit. This special menu has become so popular that we have extended it to Saturday as well and your positive comments are proof of it's success. We certainly look forward to your next visit.

Many thanks

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had a chance to visit the hotel with my wife for the first and i was impressed by the Quality of service offered . We walked in without prior reservation and the service team ushered us in and In less than 10 minutes we were at our table and our waiter took us through the menu after which we placed our order.The steaks were classic , tender and prepared as per our specifications.

We enjoyed our meal at the Brasserie. The service was top class and the meal excellent and served in time. The manager on the floor did all there was to be done to ensure that nothing went wrong.

Thank you Eric, Sereti and Stephen for the memorable experience we will visit again very soon.

Dear William C

Many thanks for your feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Thank you too for your kind sentiments regarding the team that waited on you.

Best Regards

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spend two nights for a corporate event. The hotel architecture is fantastic and the rooms are very good with service at the rooms just as good. However, the restaurant and service during meal times is incredibly poor. The first night it took more than 45 minutes to get our meal and the order was all wrong. While waiting, despite asking (literally I counted) six times for a bottle of water and wine glasses, we got half the glasses and no water. The wine brought was the wrong one. The food was incorrect - we asked for a vegetarian pasta and a non-veg meal was brought with the waiter than asking us if it was okay! Unfortunately, breakfast and lunch the following day were no better with wrong items brought and really slow service.

Shame that the restaurant brings the whole place down quite a few notches.

Finally, whilst the grounds are extensive and could be very pleasant, I believe the water ponds aren't looked after as there is a constant stench near the still (and quite unpleasant) looking ponds.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Njora

I am delighted that you enjoyed the rooms and butler service at Hemingways Nairobi during your stay.

I have noted with concern and regret the parts of your stay that fell short of your expectations; rest assured we are addressing these areas and we welcome you to visit us again to enjoy the same.

Simon H

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!