“Dinner at Hemmingways” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #9 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
“Dinner at Hemmingways”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had a chance to visit the hotel with my wife for the first and i was impressed by the Quality of service offered . We walked in without prior reservation and the service team ushered us in and In less than 10 minutes we were at our table and our waiter took us through the menu after which we placed our order.The steaks were classic , tender and prepared as per our specifications.

We enjoyed our meal at the Brasserie. The service was top class and the meal excellent and served in time. The manager on the floor did all there was to be done to ensure that nothing went wrong.

Thank you Eric, Sereti and Stephen for the memorable experience we will visit again very soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear William C

Many thanks for your feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Thank you too for your kind sentiments regarding the team that waited on you.

Best Regards

Simon H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spend two nights for a corporate event. The hotel architecture is fantastic and the rooms are very good with service at the rooms just as good. However, the restaurant and service during meal times is incredibly poor. The first night it took more than 45 minutes to get our meal and the order was all wrong. While waiting, despite asking (literally I counted) six times for a bottle of water and wine glasses, we got half the glasses and no water. The wine brought was the wrong one. The food was incorrect - we asked for a vegetarian pasta and a non-veg meal was brought with the waiter than asking us if it was okay! Unfortunately, breakfast and lunch the following day were no better with wrong items brought and really slow service.

Shame that the restaurant brings the whole place down quite a few notches.

Finally, whilst the grounds are extensive and could be very pleasant, I believe the water ponds aren't looked after as there is a constant stench near the still (and quite unpleasant) looking ponds.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Njora

I am delighted that you enjoyed the rooms and butler service at Hemingways Nairobi during your stay.

I have noted with concern and regret the parts of your stay that fell short of your expectations; rest assured we are addressing these areas and we welcome you to visit us again to enjoy the same.

Regards

Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had the good fortune to stay at this hotel for four nights last week. What an absolute masterpiece! I have never experienced such well designed and appointed rooms - literally everything has been thought of, and the quality of the furnishings is literally superb. I honestly don't believe better hotel rooms exist. The décor and furnishings throughout the entire establishment reflect total dedication to quality. This is all matched by exceptional service throughout. The restaurant didn't let us down either, as the one dinner we had at the hotel, was simply spectacular. I wish I could say more, but you have to stay there to really experience what a truly superb hotel is.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Gabriela,

Your review is most kind and highly appreciated. It was a pleasure for us having you as our guest. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every moment of your stay and we appreciate your compliments about our customer care and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back and the opportunity to serve you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

WOW what a great stay for us. My husband and I live right near Giraffe Center and we just wanted to spoil ourselves on our way home from a business trip. I emailed Betty at the very last minute and she organized a room for us. The room was immaculate (Papa Room) and so private, I didn't even realize there was other guests next door to us. We were too tired to go to the dinning area so we ordered room service. We had fish and chips and a burger and it was the best burger I have ever eaten in Nairobi. Fish and chips were excellent as well. A great meal. The whole stay was fantastic I just regret not having enough time there. I was only confused by the golf cart delivery to our rooms. It was so nice but I would have rather walked. Next time I will make sure we have more time to explore everything!! To be continued....

Room Tip: We had the Papa Room... is was private and so nice..
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Robyn,

It was a pleasure hosting you and your husband at Hemingways Nairobi and we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your kind feedback, we all appreciate it and also hope that since you don't live very far from the hotel, you could visit us again for another wonderful experience.

We definitely look forward to hosting you again !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I really love this place! I have been living in Nairobi for the past five months and this is my retreat away from the matatus, traffic and busy city-life. If you are looking for a place to lay low and relax, this is it.

I have visited the spa multiple times and really enjoyed the professionalism and accommodation of the staff. I had Lilian and Marian as my massage therapists on my different visits. They were careful to communicate clearly about pressure and what was bothering me in my back.

For dinner, I had the steak. I've gotten different cuts on multiple visits and always really enjoyed them. The steak is on another level in my opinion. The chips are also the best I have had in Nairobi. I found the vegetable sides and the dessert to be lacking a bit in value and taste.

I stayed in one of the rooms on my most recent visit. All I can say is "wow". The bathroom is huge and like a spa, the products were amazing. The TV is hidden in a chest and pops up at the push of a button. There is plenty of room to work and the wifi is everywhere an consistent. The view from my room was beautiful with the Ngong hills as a nice backdrop. I didn't even see a mosquito. The butler service was superb, they are well trained. Breakfast was served in my room, which made for a slow and refreshing morning. I have also used the gym. It is small, but adequate to get a good workout in. The machines and equipment are brand new.

All in all, I have really loved my experiences at the hotel. The staff is top notch and on multiple occasions the manager has greeted me to ask how things are going. You should check it out!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor with an unobstructed view of the Ngong hills.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience, and thank you for the fine compliments you make about our team members , restaurants and location .

We appreciate your wonderful feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

The food is great, and the location is beautiful. However, the restaurant manager was a tad condescending and somehow managed to ruin my niece's birthday dinner by his total lack of decorum!

Perhaps a course in communication would be in order...

• Stayed May 2014
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear 254FoodieLover

Thanks for your appreciation of our great food and fantastic location. With regard to your niece’s birthday dinner, as was explained by the restaurant manager and later by myself we welcome families to The Brasserie and we do our utmost to ensure all our guests are able to enjoy the ambience and in order for this to happen we do ask that parents of young children ensure that their activities and noise levels are in keeping with the general ambience as particularly in the evening guests are more sensitive about noise levels. In this instance sadly, we could not see eye to eye on what was suitable and we had to gently speak to your niece’s mother about it particularly as we had a complaint raised from other patrons. As we explained we in no way whatsoever meant to cause offence and on my follow up call the next day with the young one’s mother all was resolved and we look forward to her and her family’s promised return to The Brasserie.

Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Hemingways Nairobi puts together different memories to every one who visits the Hotel.The Lobby is well set for Private meetings as you watch the sun set.They offer well balanced afternoon tea which is systematically served.

The Restaurant set up is world class which is well matched by their smart and attentive waiting Team.The service at the restaurant was well coordinated by the two managers who i used to see at the Westland's Sankara hotel.I was very happy by their attentiveness.well done guys!!!!!

To the Chef who is always to the guests the steaks were excellent keep it up too.

My only concern was the staffing - the Management needs to visit that area,The staff were almost overwhelmed by the work load and i shared my opinion with one of the Entrance desk managers.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rodgers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

Your concerns about the staffing were well noted and the necessary action will be taken.

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!