“Western 5* Experience in the Nairobi Suburbs!” 5 of 5 stars

Hemingways Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #12 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Western 5* Experience in the Nairobi Suburbs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hotel needs to be seen to be believed! We have visited some excellent hotels all over the world but this one, with its backdrop of Kenyan hills is the most memorable.
With the service and luxury you would expect from a Kensington hotel it is perhaps something the first time visitor to Kenya would not expect, however it has that genuine feel that some hotels in the Western World do not.
As boutique hotels go it matches anything you may find in London or Paris but they are unlikely to have a Giraffe Sanctuary around the corner. A hotel that provides an ideal stop over on the way to the beach or on Safari or even as a base for a city break. The restaurant is excellent and the chef provides dishes that would do any Michelin Starred restaurant proud.
Once again it is the staff that make this hotel even better, excellent professional friendly service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Fred K, Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Skeggy,

As you have rightly put it, seeing is believing. We are thrilled that you saw, liked and believed. The hotel is conveniently tucked in close proximity to The Giraffe Center and other top attractions making it an ideal stop over, as you noted. We are continually striving to improve in all spheres and we are sure your next experience will be even better!

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Bonjour, the reply of the manager to my comment dated 29 dec 2013 is not appropriate because if the hotel has a policy of reservation they shall announce it to the public. Also, in kenya it's not alowed by the traffic code to reverse from into a busy road since the hotel does not provide for turning space. Good neighbourhood is very important I must exclaim to the hotel management.
I shall contact the management outside Kenya to make them aware of management problems in Nairobi.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear peter w

Hemingways is a Kenyan owned company. The owners are local residents; should you wish to contact them to pursue this matter please feel free to contact the hotel and we will facilitate direct communication for you.

Regards

Simon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

A super posh place where you can make reservations to have a meal. Tuesday is half priced steak night, and the steak is delicious so that is a great opportunity to go experience the luxurious colonial legacy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Merseyside, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We only stayed here one night on our way to the Masai Mara but it is a truly wonderful luxury hotel with magnificent appointed rooms and fantastic service with your own personal butler !! We ate breakfast in the morning which had everything on offer to choose from before we were on our way. If you are thinking of staying in the Nairobi area and want the ultimate in luxury look no further than here. Thank you for a short but memorable stay.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Flying into Kenya can be interesting on your way to safari, I had one flight come in at 3:30am, meaning I needed somewhere to stay before my 10am flight out, so I booked here. The place was used only to sleep and shower and move on. But the place is impressive, the staff was very kind and attentive. The breakfast that morning was OK, served the purpose and we went on our way. They are very good with scheduling your transfers and drivers which was helpful too. On my way back I got in around 7:00pm to leave for a 4:00am flight, so once again it was a place to sleep, got some dinner delivered to the room which again was OK too. But just like the first the staff was amazing.

The rooms are also REALLY well done, very spacious, and have views of the interior garden. In terms of the room design, layout, and space, I'd put this in my top 10 hotel rooms for sure.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat, but I wish it was a little less expensive, if you are goign to have really short layovers like I did, might not be worth it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The view from the restaurant is simply breath taking with the Ngong Hills stretching across the horizon. We have eaten at the Brasserie a couple of times and I can highly recommend the food. There is a good variety and a choice for all tastes. The service was excellent with the waiters being attentive, friendly and professional. This is definitely a place to go for special occasions. The ambience, especially at night is lovely.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

On a whim, my boyfriend and I, along with two girlfriends decided to go for lunch. The Askari at the gate was pleasant and informed us that it was best to make a reservation for future visits, but he let us in anyway. My first impression was good customer service right from the gate! The front desk greeted us warmly and we had a wonderful time seeing the grounds, rooms and spa. Blaise was our guide and he was friendly and informative.

Grounds: I am a sucker for a good view and you will not be disappointed. The lawns are well manicured, and you can see the Ngong Hills in the horizon. Definitely sit outside because there is a grand water feature that may interfere with the view if you decide to side inside. The green patio is my favorite element about this place. I could just sit out there all day!

Food: I was surprised about the menu...for an upscale place as this and how the chef was lauded, the menu is similar to what you get at any good restaurant...steaks, burgers, pastas and salads. I was even more surprised that there were only 2 vegetarian items on the menu (I don't count salads as vegetarian items...we do not exist on salads!). I am a non-dairy vegetarian so the veg lasagna was not an option. So, I ended up ordering a side of truffle fries (nice but just a tad oily), spinach (the best!) and the pear salad. I asked for the dressing to come on the side but when it came it was dressed and overly done that the lettuce wasn't crunchy at all. Such a shame to drown perfectly good veggies in a dressing. My boyfriend had a huge steak (rump, I think) and he loved it. It was done medium, as he had ordered it and he said it "cut like butter"!

Wait staff: The wait staff were polite, smiling and willing to help but we had a hard time figuring out who to tip at the end of our lunch. We were served by 5 different people! That's a little much in my opinion. Also there was some miscommunication due to the number of servers. We started off drinking a Shiraz but when another server came to refill he said that they were out so we called the other server and they said it was still available? I think one server per table is sufficient. We did give our feedback to the guest relations desk at the entrance and she was receptive to the information.

Rooms: although we weren't staying in the rooms, we checked them out. Luxurious! I love the TV chest and the deep tub! I would love to wake up in these rooms!

Spa: We toured the Spa while we were there and went back a week later with 7 girlfriends. They were running a Christmas special (Spasterrie or something) for pedicures and high tea. Basically they booked the entire spa for us that day! Kate, Evans and the team were awesome! We had such a wonderful time! The only feedback we had was that some of the buxom ladies felt that the robes were too small. Also it would be a good idea to get some AC above the lockers/changing section. After using the sauna, steam room and showering, we needed a cool down to dress up (this was also communicated to guest relations).

All in all, a good experience, just some things that need to be tweaked to make it a good value for the money.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!