“Luxury hotel in Nairobi, Kenya” 5 of 5 stars

Hemingways Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #11 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
“Luxury hotel in Nairobi, Kenya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Enjoy this beautiful new facility in the outskirts of Nairobi, in Karen Kenya. Friendly, well trained staff and the cleanest, modern rooms I have seen in a long time. Each room has a balcony for outdoor seating. This new facility was designed to provide a first class comfort.

Room Tip: Sit by the pool or enjoy the spa. The rooms are beyond your imagination. The staff is as friendly...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear DonaldRLeger

Many thanks for your encouraging feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel situated in Karen. Furnished with great taste, the rooms feel very luxurious. We had too dinners at the hotel and both were super. The spa treatments felt price worthy and felt reinvigorated pampered. During our stay we experienced only very good service from the staff, even when it came to helping us clean up in the middle of the night. Perfect hospitality.

Stayed December 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member

It was our absolute pleasure to host you. We hope you will stay with us when next in Kenya.

Many thanks
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Sadly to know that the hotel Hemingways is situated in our neighbourhood KAREN. Today we wanted to have a short break from tje the hectic Xmas festivities but it was impossible bevause of a security guard named Mr Donald. Most incompetent, unfortunately. Today, 25.12.13 he told us that he doesn't accept visitors without reservation. I am surprised that he does select visitors at the gate. Anyway, for us living in Karen will not recommend any person in Karen and through the internet to visit that hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear peter w

As a luxury boutique hotel it is imperative we satisfy our in house guests as well as non hotel residents. We operate a booking policy in order to ensure we do not accept more guests than we can cope with as this would compromise our standards. Christmas day was a good example as due to the demand for our brasserie restaurant we were fully booked weeks in advance. Had we allowed more guests in it would have spoiled the experience for all. In future please feel free to make a reservation on 0718529070

Regards
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I had a marvelous 2 days stay in this Hotel and all I remember is the environmental well-being, the service and the smiles of the hotel personnel! The food was superb and served within time! The colors,nature, the artifacts and view was just too amazing! I loove everything about Hemingways except the prices of course..!A good hotel indeed and I recommend everyone who loves nature and good service.

Dear Malkia M

I am glad that everything about your stay was superb and look forward to you visiting us again next time you are in Nairobi.

Best Regards
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during a business retreat of 3 days. The surroundings are beautiful and the service impeccable. The rooms are well decorated with an "out of africa" upmarket look. The food was delicious and the desserts yummy.
I didn't give it 5 stars because of the mosquitoes. There was an invasion during my stay! they were all over the place, we could not sit outside in the evening and in your room make sure you spray inside the mosquito net :)
Karen is quite far from Nairobi city center so make sure you don't have meeting in town. One morning, it tooks us 3 hours to get to a meeting.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The hotel is very nice. It is in Karen away from most of the hustle and bustle of Nairobi. The rooms are very well appointed and very nice, however I don't think they're worth what is being charged.

The restaurants are ok. The brasserie chef sadly does not know what he's doing when it comes to steaks. I'm sorry, but if I'm to pay ksh3500-ksh4500 I expect the chef to know what "medium rare" is. I ordered the NY strip and it came out well done. I sent it back asking for medium rare and it came back bleu. I ate it anyway as I prefer undercooked more then overcooked and didn't really have hope that a well-cooked steak would be possible. Two close friends attempted this as well a few months ago and actually had to send their steaks back twice--both the first and second time they were overcooked.

The "Josper" seems to be a gimmick and it's not used well. The service is also very poor. While they were quick to send out a second steak, the wait staff had no idea what their menu entailed and could not answer even the simplest of questions. Drinks were good and reasonably priced, but it took them 25 minutes to get out the initial round.

I think I would stay here again if their price point reflected reality better but I would not waste time and money in the restaurant. It's a classic case of over-charging and under-delivering.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay here during a business trip recently.

This hotel is fabulous. My suite was amazing, with a canopied bed, a desk, sofa, TV and great drinks cabinet. The in-room tea and coffee has a great selection and even had fresh milk provided in the minibar to have with it. The bathroom was wonderful, with two sinks, beautiful deep bath tub, great walk in rainfall shower, separate toilet and a large walk in wardrobe which included two chest of drawers, a safe and ample hanging space and shoe racks.

Remember to put your nets down on the bed if the turn down service don't do it, as the mosquito's are pesky blighters and manage to get in even through locked doors !

The butler service is incredible and all the staff are always cheerful and quick to assist with any requests. Nothing is too much trouble and calls for requests / room services were always promptly attended to.

The breakfast menu had a good selection of items from full cooked breakfasts to cereals, pastries and fresh fruit. The mango juice being especially good. The dinner menu is a little limited with over half of the choices being different varieties of steaks. On one occasion my steak was not a great one, but the restaurant team sorted this with no fuss and to our mutual satisfaction. By the way the creme brulee is to die for ..... and massive !!

The reception team were always extremely helpful, and even kindly arranged for me to have a late check as my flight home was not till just after midnight.

If I'm ever back in Nairobi, I hope that I get to stay here again, as it was a superb all round experience, and will hopefully get to use the Spa and Swimming pool if I'm lucky enough to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!