“Superb Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
“Superb Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Excellent hotel in picturesque grounds. All rooms have balcony over looking the garden. Suite superbly equipped and lacking for nothing. Restaurant very good if slightly limited menu. Wi-fi actually works and TV reception and choice of channels also very good.

Bathroom also very well equipped and laid out. A luxurious place to relax on business or pleasure.

Staff friendly and attentive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We're regulars at Hemingways and went again on Sunday for a birthday celebration, the food is excellent, the ambiance is super. The only thing they must do is serve the food more quickly once it gets to you, nice to have personal service but it takes time to get all the bits in front of you when you're 5 diners.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining with my husband at Hemingways on his birthday. The service was excellent and the food was great. Hemingways were even kind enough to offer my husband a complimentary chocolate cake to spice up the evening. Thanks to all who made it happen.

It's a pity it was raining heavily so we didn't get a chance to take a walk around the property to appreciate the serenity.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for privacy and class.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hemingways for a practically one month while volunteering. The hotel is simply gorgeous and the balcony views are magical. The staff at Hemingways is by far the best service I have ever experienced (and I travel a ton). The staff became my second family and literally made me feel every day like I was coming home. The restaurant is amazing. I would encourage anyone who travels through Nairobi to stay at the Hemingways- you will not be disappointed. I call it a little slice of heaven!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The grounds are truly beautiful and stunning. The rooms are amazing. Best of all is the amazing service from the staff at the hotel. Couldn't think of a more relaxing place in Nairobi at the moment. Truly spectacular.
David

Room Tip: Choose a first floor room to get a great view of the sunset on the Ngong Hills
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I've been to Hemingway's twice for dinner and both times I've been very impressed with the food and service. I've had the slow cooked beef each time and it is just mouth-wateringly good. Writing this review is tempting me to get in my car and drive over there for dinner right now. I would highly recommend dining at Hemingway's to anyone. The hotel and Brasserie have some questionable design choices, but that slow cooked beef makes up for any other flaws. It is THAT good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had seen Hemingways featured in a prominant luxury magazine in Australia and decided to book a special dinner at the restaurant before departing on safari.

After the recent Westgate Mall terrorism attacks, our group was cautious of travel as tourists (white) in Nairobi. We asked Hemingways if they could assist us with organising a transfer vehicle from our hotel in Hurlingham (another suburb in Nairobi) to dinner in Karen and back.

Hemingways offered us a rate of USD $250 for a group of 7 people to travel this distance (return). I asked if this was a normal rate and the hotel concierge at Hemingways assured me it was.

When we arrived in Nairobi we discovered that a more appropriate rate would be somewhere between USD $5-10 for our group transport.

We were outraged that Hemingways were so comfortable in ripping us off, taking unfair advantage of tourists on their first visit to Nairobi. Not only did they refuse to amend the bookings, they also hassled us to leave the restaurant early, requiring us to finish our dinner prematurely, because their 'driver' was tired and wanted to leave.

Absolutely unacceptable.

That said, the food was delicious - although the waitstaff were not very aware of the ingredients listed on the menu and should be more informed in future, given the luxury status of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Jess M

Thanks for your feedback . With regard to the transfers; these were sub-contracted by us for you at your request and the price quoted to you prior to your acceptance. Additionally we organised for 2 vehicles with drivers to pick you up from your hotel 21km away and bring you to Karen, wait for you and take you back to your hotel hence the cost. Please be assured we have no intention to rip off tourists or anyone for that matter. May I point out that the rate you quote of $5-$10 would not get 8 people more than a stone's throw from your hotel let alone to Karen.

That said; I am glad you enjoyed your meal and hope you will visit us next time you are in Nairobi.

Best Regards

Simon H

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!