“Birthday Dinner ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Birthday Dinner ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining with my husband at Hemingways on his birthday. The service was excellent and the food was great. Hemingways were even kind enough to offer my husband a complimentary chocolate cake to spice up the evening. Thanks to all who made it happen.

It's a pity it was raining heavily so we didn't get a chance to take a walk around the property to appreciate the serenity.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for privacy and class.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hemingways for a practically one month while volunteering. The hotel is simply gorgeous and the balcony views are magical. The staff at Hemingways is by far the best service I have ever experienced (and I travel a ton). The staff became my second family and literally made me feel every day like I was coming home. The restaurant is amazing. I would encourage anyone who travels through Nairobi to stay at the Hemingways- you will not be disappointed. I call it a little slice of heaven!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The grounds are truly beautiful and stunning. The rooms are amazing. Best of all is the amazing service from the staff at the hotel. Couldn't think of a more relaxing place in Nairobi at the moment. Truly spectacular.
David

Room Tip: Choose a first floor room to get a great view of the sunset on the Ngong Hills
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I've been to Hemingway's twice for dinner and both times I've been very impressed with the food and service. I've had the slow cooked beef each time and it is just mouth-wateringly good. Writing this review is tempting me to get in my car and drive over there for dinner right now. I would highly recommend dining at Hemingway's to anyone. The hotel and Brasserie have some questionable design choices, but that slow cooked beef makes up for any other flaws. It is THAT good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had seen Hemingways featured in a prominant luxury magazine in Australia and decided to book a special dinner at the restaurant before departing on safari.

After the recent Westgate Mall terrorism attacks, our group was cautious of travel as tourists (white) in Nairobi. We asked Hemingways if they could assist us with organising a transfer vehicle from our hotel in Hurlingham (another suburb in Nairobi) to dinner in Karen and back.

Hemingways offered us a rate of USD $250 for a group of 7 people to travel this distance (return). I asked if this was a normal rate and the hotel concierge at Hemingways assured me it was.

When we arrived in Nairobi we discovered that a more appropriate rate would be somewhere between USD $5-10 for our group transport.

We were outraged that Hemingways were so comfortable in ripping us off, taking unfair advantage of tourists on their first visit to Nairobi. Not only did they refuse to amend the bookings, they also hassled us to leave the restaurant early, requiring us to finish our dinner prematurely, because their 'driver' was tired and wanted to leave.

Absolutely unacceptable.

That said, the food was delicious - although the waitstaff were not very aware of the ingredients listed on the menu and should be more informed in future, given the luxury status of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Jess M

Thanks for your feedback . With regard to the transfers; these were sub-contracted by us for you at your request and the price quoted to you prior to your acceptance. Additionally we organised for 2 vehicles with drivers to pick you up from your hotel 21km away and bring you to Karen, wait for you and take you back to your hotel hence the cost. Please be assured we have no intention to rip off tourists or anyone for that matter. May I point out that the rate you quote of $5-$10 would not get 8 people more than a stone's throw from your hotel let alone to Karen.

That said; I am glad you enjoyed your meal and hope you will visit us next time you are in Nairobi.

Best Regards

Simon H
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I just returned from 2 weeks in Kenya, volunteering in a few different places. Due to a few issues with our housing, we booked a few nights at the Hemingways while we worked during the day. I am only 27 but have traveled quite a bit in my life and I can honestly say I have yet to stay at a hotel this amazing. The staff were amazingly attentive and took a genuine concern in how we were. They cared about us and took interest in our work and projects each day - welcoming us when we returned at the end of the day, and ensuring we were having nothing but a perfect visit.

I have never written a review on TripAdvisor but was so moved by my stay at the Hemingways, I just knew I had to. This is a hotel I know I will be returning to in the future. The staff is amazing, grounds are immaculate, rooms spacious and well-decorated, and food was incredible.

Bravo to this lovely hotel and all of its staff!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Altadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I just finished spending a week at Hemingways. I've spent better than 30 years traveling extensively as part of my job (I'm a Tour Manager for rock tours) and I can honestly say that I've never had a better experience than the one I had at Hemingways. The grounds are immaculate, the rooms well decorated and very comfortable, the food superb and the service beyond compare.Since my and my group where there for a week we really got a chance to experience all that the hotel had to offer as well as to get to know all the staff. The attention to detail in the service as well as the genuine warmth and generosity of spirit made our stay the highlight of this or any other year. I would recommend Hemingways without reservation to anyone traveling to Nairobi.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!