“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

A fabulous hotel on the outskirts of busy Nairobi. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are spectacular. Service given by the front desk, room attendants and restaurant staff is amazing. We loved our dinner, the steaks are among the best we have ever enjoyed. Breakfast on our terrace, overlooking the grounds was excellent. We only stayed one night, before departing to catch a flight to the Masai Mara. Wish we could have spent more time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear LucyH49

We are delighted to receive your positive feedback and look forward to your next visit when hopefully you can enjoy more of our facilities such as the spa.

Best Regards

Simon H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My visit was for lunch rather than staying in this new addition to the Nairobi hotel scene so must be viewed with that in mind. However, I was expecting something special given the hype that had preceded the opening of the place to stay if you wanted to experience the magic that Karen Blixen described in Out of Africa,
The hotel is set in wonderful surroundings with (from the upper floor) a spectacular view of the Ngong Hills.

However the design is mediocre although an attempt has been made to glamorize this by painting the outside a menthol green. The interiors are standard South African fare (brown, brown and brown) and attempt to suggest a Hollywood in Africa glamour. It is all a bit too nouveau riche to pull off the old world charm of the real Karen mystique.

The view from the main verandah where you can eat facing the Ngongs is marred by a water feature that is less than dramatic. The detailing of the external areas suggests that the project ran out of funds when nearing completion.

The service was keen if somewhat lacking in training but no harm there as the staff learn the ropes.

The meal we had was reasonable but in a town where we are used to excellent value it was overpriced for what it was.

I have delayed writing the review hoping that on reflection, I would be able to be more positive but the reality is that I have no great desire to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Simon J

Many thanks for your feedback. I am glad that you appreciated the willingness to please of our service team. In terms of value we are the leaders in our competitor set; it is something we closely monitor.

We hope you will revisit us for a meal in the near future.

Best Regards
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My fiance treated me to a birthday lunch at Hemingways on the 14th of October. The food was stunning, the service was impeccable and the setting perfect. Many thanks to Alastair Addison (the perfect host) the CEO for a complimentary bottle of chilled Italian white which was ideal on a hot Nairobi day. Johnnie McMillan

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Johnnie

We are very glad you enjoyed your birthday lunch with us, we constantly strive to maintain our exacting standards and it is good to know we are achieving that.

Please do visit us again.

Best regards

Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have to say the BEST hotel in Nairobi by far. Arrived late in the evening after a very long flight to arrive at my new all time Favorite hotel. The rooms are beautifully decorated extremely comfortable and very luxurious. So much so I did not want to leave it was so comfortable. Loved the private balcony over looking the immaculately maintained grounds. The food was fabulous some of the best I have ever had. The bar upstairs was lovely in the evening with a beautiful view overlooking the grounds & fountains. The lobby is stunning very elegant yet very comfortable along with the lovely patio area. There are many things about this property that make it exceptional the one stand out is the exceptional Staff. Every single person I encountered at this property was exceptional. They are all extremely professional yet very friendly & warm extremely kind. I can not say enough about the Staff I loved every single person I came into contact with. As for things to do you can visit the Giraffe Center down the road and a Must see is The David Sheldrick Wildlife Nursery which has a public viewing daily at 11:00 am the cost is $7.00. The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is a haven for orphaned elephants. Hemingway's can arrange a driver for you to take you anywhere you want to go.
There was only one thing wrong with my stay. It was not long enough. Can't wait to go back! A very special Thank You to David, Samson, Nathan, Godfrey & especially Rogers. You made my trip that more special. Also very important when you look at their website what you see is what you get. Finally a property that delivers with beautiful & stunning lobby & elegant rooms. Extremely relaxing location.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room on the property!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Possibly the best hotel in Nairobi! The rooms and grounds were spectacular and the service superb - even at 04:00 am when we arrived. I had a pretty rapid turnaround so wasn't able to take advantage of the facilities but I can say that breakfast was excellent. Now I just need to get back there as soon as possible!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Hotel is great: modern, high standard, clean, great service, good food, beautiful and easily 5* Western standard. No issues with the property whatsoever (and the staff is amazing!). Restaurant serves great food (also Western) from an apparently Michelin star chef. Only downside of the property is location - it is located in a residential area (Karen) which is nice (expat and VIPs area) but far from the city center. There is not much around (few nice restaurants and a bar), but not any major action.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My partner and I went for Sunday lunch. The hotel itself is beautiful, and tastefully decorated, with views overlooking the Ngong hills.
However we were disappointed with the food. Our vegetarian samosas were beef, something the chef overlooked. My red snapper fish was unseasoned and inedible. It was very tough. Maybe microwaved then flash fried. However the pear and Stilton salad was lovely. The chips very greasy, but tasty.
My partner had sirloin steak which he said was tasty but again tough. We ordered cappuccino to finish made with either soya milk or semi skimmed. This international hotel had neither, which we found surprising in this day and age of intolerances! Overall a mixed review, could do better for the pricing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Louise C

We regret that your meal with us was not to your liking and request that you give us another try. Additionally I can confirm that we have the range of milk options you refer to in stock; thanks for the feedback.

Regards

Simon H

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!