“Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
Issaquah, Washington
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have to say the BEST hotel in Nairobi by far. Arrived late in the evening after a very long flight to arrive at my new all time Favorite hotel. The rooms are beautifully decorated extremely comfortable and very luxurious. So much so I did not want to leave it was so comfortable. Loved the private balcony over looking the immaculately maintained grounds. The food was fabulous some of the best I have ever had. The bar upstairs was lovely in the evening with a beautiful view overlooking the grounds & fountains. The lobby is stunning very elegant yet very comfortable along with the lovely patio area. There are many things about this property that make it exceptional the one stand out is the exceptional Staff. Every single person I encountered at this property was exceptional. They are all extremely professional yet very friendly & warm extremely kind. I can not say enough about the Staff I loved every single person I came into contact with. As for things to do you can visit the Giraffe Center down the road and a Must see is The David Sheldrick Wildlife Nursery which has a public viewing daily at 11:00 am the cost is $7.00. The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is a haven for orphaned elephants. Hemingway's can arrange a driver for you to take you anywhere you want to go.
There was only one thing wrong with my stay. It was not long enough. Can't wait to go back! A very special Thank You to David, Samson, Nathan, Godfrey & especially Rogers. You made my trip that more special. Also very important when you look at their website what you see is what you get. Finally a property that delivers with beautiful & stunning lobby & elegant rooms. Extremely relaxing location.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room on the property!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Possibly the best hotel in Nairobi! The rooms and grounds were spectacular and the service superb - even at 04:00 am when we arrived. I had a pretty rapid turnaround so wasn't able to take advantage of the facilities but I can say that breakfast was excellent. Now I just need to get back there as soon as possible!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Hotel is great: modern, high standard, clean, great service, good food, beautiful and easily 5* Western standard. No issues with the property whatsoever (and the staff is amazing!). Restaurant serves great food (also Western) from an apparently Michelin star chef. Only downside of the property is location - it is located in a residential area (Karen) which is nice (expat and VIPs area) but far from the city center. There is not much around (few nice restaurants and a bar), but not any major action.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My partner and I went for Sunday lunch. The hotel itself is beautiful, and tastefully decorated, with views overlooking the Ngong hills.
However we were disappointed with the food. Our vegetarian samosas were beef, something the chef overlooked. My red snapper fish was unseasoned and inedible. It was very tough. Maybe microwaved then flash fried. However the pear and Stilton salad was lovely. The chips very greasy, but tasty.
My partner had sirloin steak which he said was tasty but again tough. We ordered cappuccino to finish made with either soya milk or semi skimmed. This international hotel had neither, which we found surprising in this day and age of intolerances! Overall a mixed review, could do better for the pricing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Louise C

We regret that your meal with us was not to your liking and request that you give us another try. Additionally I can confirm that we have the range of milk options you refer to in stock; thanks for the feedback.

Regards

Simon H
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went and had the afternoon high tea, it was fantastic and very filling and rich and the portion for one was enough to share between 2 people, i will go back again but this time i will spend the night, in the rooms that were breathtaking

Room Tip: get the rooms upstairs for the live painting of the ngong hills through your windows
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Spent a night here to celebrate my wife's birthday and we were delighted by the legendary Hemingways service.The suites are luxurious - ours was the Grogan suite - with all the trappings that one would expect in what must be one of Nairobi's top hotels. The one blemish in the room that we noticed was that a small section of the flooring was somewhat warped but we were assured that the hotel was still in the "soft" opening phase and that these faults would be rectified before the official opening in 2014..
At dinner, we had to try the much praised steak and it did not disappoint!
The spa service, which we also took advantage of, was also exceptional though again, some of the facilities such as the sauna are yet to be completed.
The grounds of the hotel, though not fully mature, are immaculate and one can only imagine what they will look like in a year or two.
All in all, a weekend to cherish and a hotel to remember..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Naivasha, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I arrived on a Sunday evening and was very happy to be welcomed by name, and went through the fasted check in to a hotel, I have ever experienced.

I was" bowled over" by my Suite (Karen Blixen Suite) which was very tastefully furnished, with large rooms, including an amazing bathroom, with an extremely satisfying hot" power shower"!

One can often judge hotels by their pillow quality- Hemingways had the finest.
All in all a fantastic nights sleep in the finest linen.

As I was on working trip, I did have room service for dinner on two of the nights that I stayed, this was bought by my personal butler, who looked after me very well, the quality of the food was great.

But..... wait till you have a steak in the main dinning room-Brilliant.

Hemingways has a gym with modern equipment, which I made full use of, but sadly did not swim in their pool, which looked inviting, or their spa which is getting the reputation for being the best in Kenya.

What else to say? I highly recommend this hotel, as it just outside the city centre, but has sweeping views of the Ngong hills, and really does have the feel of "old Africa".

Thank you to Hemingways for making my stay an enjoyable experience.!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!