“AMAZING AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“AMAZING AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went and had the afternoon high tea, it was fantastic and very filling and rich and the portion for one was enough to share between 2 people, i will go back again but this time i will spend the night, in the rooms that were breathtaking

Room Tip: get the rooms upstairs for the live painting of the ngong hills through your windows
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Spent a night here to celebrate my wife's birthday and we were delighted by the legendary Hemingways service.The suites are luxurious - ours was the Grogan suite - with all the trappings that one would expect in what must be one of Nairobi's top hotels. The one blemish in the room that we noticed was that a small section of the flooring was somewhat warped but we were assured that the hotel was still in the "soft" opening phase and that these faults would be rectified before the official opening in 2014..
At dinner, we had to try the much praised steak and it did not disappoint!
The spa service, which we also took advantage of, was also exceptional though again, some of the facilities such as the sauna are yet to be completed.
The grounds of the hotel, though not fully mature, are immaculate and one can only imagine what they will look like in a year or two.
All in all, a weekend to cherish and a hotel to remember..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Naivasha, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I arrived on a Sunday evening and was very happy to be welcomed by name, and went through the fasted check in to a hotel, I have ever experienced.

I was" bowled over" by my Suite (Karen Blixen Suite) which was very tastefully furnished, with large rooms, including an amazing bathroom, with an extremely satisfying hot" power shower"!

One can often judge hotels by their pillow quality- Hemingways had the finest.
All in all a fantastic nights sleep in the finest linen.

As I was on working trip, I did have room service for dinner on two of the nights that I stayed, this was bought by my personal butler, who looked after me very well, the quality of the food was great.

But..... wait till you have a steak in the main dinning room-Brilliant.

Hemingways has a gym with modern equipment, which I made full use of, but sadly did not swim in their pool, which looked inviting, or their spa which is getting the reputation for being the best in Kenya.

What else to say? I highly recommend this hotel, as it just outside the city centre, but has sweeping views of the Ngong hills, and really does have the feel of "old Africa".

Thank you to Hemingways for making my stay an enjoyable experience.!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed overnight at Hemingways recently, having flown in on an evening flight from London and was very pleasantly surprised. I arrived quite late was immediately impressed with the security at the hotel, and the charming manager and concierge who met me. They offered me dinner despite the late hour and got me checked in within minutes. Each of the rooms has a butler, mine was Enoch and he was very welcoming, knowledgeable and efficient.

My room itself was beautiful, spotless and well equipped. Enoch showed me the room and assured me that if I needed anything at all just to call. I ordered room service which arrived promptly despite the late hour and was very good.

The only negative things in my stay were that my room was very cold - but I do appreciate this was probably inability to work out the air-con! But they did have extra duvets in the cupboard so easy to warm up! Also there was no fresh milk ( or any milk at all) which made having a cup of tea tricky.

I had to leave very early and Enoch was there again with the buggy to drive me back up to the reception. Despite the early hour they offered me breakfast, which was great - I only wish I'd had more time to enjoy it as the menu looks fantastic.

Overall I was hugely impressed with Hemingways, the staff were kind and welcoming, the place was beautiful and I would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently stayed at Hemingways in two rooms (suites) as a family of four. The suites are outstanding being spacious and very well equipped including good WiFi connectivity. The whole hotel is beautifully appointed and there is a real feeling that attention to detail is of paramount importance. The staff were excellent and always on hand to help and always friendly but never pushy. The butler service is a nice touch but we were not compelled to use it. During our stay we had breakfast, lunch and dinner and all meals were of a very high standard.
I have stayed in a number of hotels in Nairobi over many years and Hemingways is head and shoulders above the rest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I live in the area and stopped in for an early dinner at the new Hemingways last night. First impressions of the hotel itself were very positive. Great security at the gate, complete with having our name on the restaurant booking.

The entrance is spectacular, modern and inviting. Once the surrounding gardens mature, the exterior will also be similarly spectacular.

But onto the main event: dinner at the Brasserie. We each started out with a caesar salad. It was dressed perfectly and the request for extra anchovies was accommodated. Producing a good caesar is always a simple test of a kitchen. It passed with flying colors. It also went nicely with a Sicilian white wine on the menu

Now...the steak. Finding a world-class steak in Kenya has been impossible. Until now. I had a 450g rib-eye. It came with a choice of two sides and a sauce. I couldn't pass up the thrice-cooked truffle fries...and nor should you. Best I've had anywhere in the world...and I spend months every year in Europe, Asia and the U.S. eating in top restaurants. For a dose of greens, I went with green beans. They were cooked perfectly and served in a cast iron ramekin to keep them warm. There are many more choices. Mac and cheese, spinach...etc.

I had requested the steak medium-rare (the way I like it, but with some trepidation since medium rare in Africa is often interpreted as rare!) But the steak arrived to perfection and melted in my mouth. A nice char on the outside and moist inside. I just returned from holidays in the U.S. where I hit some of the big (and expensive) steak meccas. This was better. Way better. On top of that, it was about a third of the price you'd pay at those U.S. steak meccas. Plus, you have a view of the Ngong Hills instead of a mall parking lot!

This place deserves to be full every night. The service was attentive and the staff delightful, though still a little tentative in their approach. That will change with practice. The hotel is still very new.

We were too full for dessert, but they all looked great. We'll be back soon to sample the burgers, BLTs and other offerings on this very cool menu. Even better, it is open for lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: You can book a table direct from the hotel website.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Blaricum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Boutique 5 star hôtel with really great suites instead of rooms, lovely swimming pool.
We loved our two night stay here after coming from the Masai village stay.
The hotel is brand new and beautifully decorated.
The bathrooms are ballrooms, so big! And the people were really kind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hemingways Nairobi? Share your experiences!