“Great location for UN but finer details need work.” 3 of 5 stars

Dreamplace Bed and Breakfast
75 United Nations Crescent | Gigiri, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Highridge)   |
Ranked #29 of 163 Nairobi B&B and Inns
West Midlands UK
“Great location for UN but finer details need work.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

By no means is this a 'bad' review but there were several bugbears about Dream Place that really left me a little annoyed.

Lets start with the good points, the location of Dream Place is great if you are working at the UN (as we were for 2 weeks) and is very close to the Village Market (which has the awesome Art Caffe).

We moved to Dream Place after a one week stay at Miti Mingi Guest House (Westlands) because we only able to book it for one week (as it was fully booked for the second). Now, hands down, Miti Mingi Guest House is an amazing value for money, beautiful guest house and my only guest house experience in Kenya; to say the least, I was expected a lot from Dream Place for the cost.

Let me start with the rooms, my colleague and I booked the 'budget' rooms; The Rift Valley and The Nile. Both rooms were on the small side, had a very small desk and big hanging mosquito net that covers your view of the TV; not ideal. The rooms are also located 'outside' of the main house in a type of outhouse.

Now, I'm not sure weather it was because our budget enabled the 'economy' rooms or what but I got the feeling that management didn't afford these rooms the same level of importance as others. Reason being, towels WERE NOT changed and towels dropped on the floor were put back on the towel rails. Now, I understand if management wish to conserve energy; washing and so forth but by no means was it explained that towels would not be changed. On the third day, I asked the cleaner when they changed towels and she explained: AFTER FOUR DAYS.

Overall, the house was clean and tidy but really lacked character; there was just no heart or soul to the guest house. On top of that, while Joan is helpful, she is not very personable. Her conversation is minimal, she seems uninterested in the guests (maybe because we were in the budget rooms?). Case example; on the day of arrival I asked her for the WiFi key to which she said she would bring it over. After waiting around an hour, I went out to see if she had forgotten to which I found her having her hair done by the cleaner. Now, I understand that we all have things to do but that really lacks customer service and customer a centric approach.

I have seen other reviews about Joan cooking breakfast but for us, it seemed like this was more of a chore for her; this is just our experience and I'm sure it might have been different for others.

Additionally, there is a very little attention to detail here; no mini bar, no snacks to buy, no drinks (which is always useful when you are staying for more than a week), Miti Mingi guest house will give you fresh filtered water every day and a selection of snacks to purchase. The Nile room had squashed mosquitoes on the wall! Overall, customer service was very minimal and ad hoc; a customer centric approach really needs to be built in. On top of this, the numerous power outages were highly inconvenient.

My final comment is on the choice of 'religious items' in the house. As a person of faith, I have no problem with people expressing their own beliefs but for us, there were too many Christian items dotted around; the clock on entry with a PSALMS quote, the various pictures, the 'praying children' picture on the map and the Bible in the draw. Again, I have no problem with religion but maybe Dream Place should advertise as a 'Christian' guesthouse?

Overall, our experience was very average and we will not be staying here again. On the plus side, the location to the UN is great and is close to the Village Market.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Nile or Rift Valley rooms, the value for money here is not very good.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Dreamplace Guest House is ideally situated among international embassies, close to UNEP-HQ, and the Village Market. Staff were very friendly and welcoming, and I always felt safe and that my belongings were secure. Throughout my stay, I felt like a valued guest or friend, rather than a customer. Joan creates custom breakfasts; investigates and recommends tour itineraries; arranges taxi service; gets up in the middle of the night to welcome new guests; and has a wealth of information and valuable advice to help her guests make the most of their visit. It truly is a "home away from home".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Dreamplace bed and breakfast was perfectly clean and ideally placed to our conference in UNEP.

How many places have the owner cooking up a delicious breakfast for you everyday?

Excellent value for money, though I would have liked a fan in the room.

Room Tip: If you are attending a conference the most expensive room is a total waste. Get yourself a room for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had a two months consultancy work at the World Agroforestry Centre(ICRAF). My wife and I checked in at the Dreamplace temporarily while searching for a flat. It was so convenient and comfortable that we ended up staying here for the entire period. ICRAF booked it for us so we didn't know what to expect before arrival apart from the information on the website.
It is a very large mansion which has been converted into a Bed and Breakfast. So it feels really like a home. The rooms are very large and independent. There is also 4 separate communal areas inside the house which provides you the option to stay outside your room but still in privacy if you want. The garden is very large with a nice swimming pool to relax after work.
We were at the Longonot Room which is the only room on the top floor of the house. It was very large, with ensuite bath and shower, three big wardrobes, a huge and comfortable kingsize bed, a cozy corner with a desk, two armchairs and a round table. All the rooms also have flat screen TV with international channels and wireless internet with enough bandwith to make a video call back home. Some of the larger rooms have their own kitchenette. Our room didn't have it, but we could use the large kitchen downstairs, which is always very clean and tidy, with all the cookware you need.
The location is excellent. If you are in Nairobi for any UN agency or ICRAF you can walk to work safely. It is also walking distance to the Village Market shopping mall which is really like a market rather than a conventional boring mall.
The staff is very friendly and efficient. The General Manager, Joan, has previous experience working in worldwide hotel chains and you can feel this in her attention to detail and customer care.
During our stay, the UN Security Office came to inspect the Dreamplace and approved it for its personnel. It is surrounded by the Swedish and Brazilian Embassies as well as the HQ of one of the largest banks in Kenya. We never felt insecure in the area, even walking after dark.

We would recommend Dreamplace to anyone, be it our family, best friends, or work colleagues.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Looking for and booking a place at Nairobi from Lahore for a two weeks duration just over the internet, I was a bit nervous because I had heard many strange stories about how foreigners are cheated in Nairobi. Frankly speaking, I was initially a bit reluctant to settle for Dreamplace. However, Joan kept following up with me now and then, and I decided to settle for it considering its prime location for international organizations' visitors.

Meeting Joan at reception and then settling in my room was a complete amazing experience for me. The location, the quality, the amenities, and above all the warmth...all was exceptional.
I made a few new friendships while staying at Dream place...Thank you!!
If you are visiting Nairobi for a short duration, and looking for something cozy, calm, well managed, and still feels like home, don't consider anything but Dreamplace!

Room Tip: Just make sure your windows are closed at dawn and dusk- avoid mosquitos
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I ended up staying here after an unpleasant event - the hotel that I had made reservation at, didn't process the reservation and, atu arrival, they were no more rooms available. The unpleasant event turned into an excellent experience - checking in and staying at the DreamPlace. The manager here, Joan, is an excellent host. She's up, waiting for her guests until late in the night, and, in the morning she's fresh and kind and helpful, like she never gets tired.
You come in the room at 1am, and need breakfast at 6am? No problem. She's there for you.
You need advice of where to buy souvenirs from? She'll make you a map, and you're there in no time.
The rooms are clean and cosy, and they have plasma TVs with international news channels.
The wireless internet is free.

You'll never regret staying there.

• Stayed November 2012
Juba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I spent three nights at dreamplace while on a business trip to Nairobi.It was super,its a nice,quiet,safe and secured place to just let go and relax.The spacious rooms,sitting room and the interior design so cool and inspiring.If you like walking or strolling,then i recommend dreamplace,cos you can easily walk down the roads to the UN,the american embassy and above all the village market! I had enjoyed my stay and i will defintely go back to dreamplace.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Dreamplace Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!