“Nice mall.. has everything for visitors :)” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Nice mall.. has everything for visitors :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

First of all i felt very sad when i heard the news of attack on my favorite mall in Nairobi.. when i was there i could not have imagined of something like this happening.. i thought the security was enough but apparently not :(.. i felt so safe there.. i always went there alone with the hotel taxi..
The mall has a huge Nakumat hypermarket that also has a small souvenir section..
It has stores like Kazuri that is famous for its jewelry which is now doubt very good.. also has African lily which is a famous Kenyan brand for leather hand bags and other leather stuff.. the quality of these leather products is really good and i enjoy using the wallet i got from there..
Small souvenir kiosks in the mall also sell some interesting stuff..
All this was during the good times but now i would be very cautious when going to any mall in Kenya...

Visited April 2013

Cairo, Egypt
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“best mall in kenya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Westgate shopping mall is quite big, but I only got attracted to Nakumatt Hyper Market on the ground floor and the Planet Media Cinema on the top floor, some restaurants there were nice, very good tasty restaurant in the last floor called galitos very good

Visited August 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“"Everything" you need in one place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I had couple of things to buy, and this shopping mall had it all. Before my trip to Kenya I had to buy some antimallaric pills, but I only bought one box since they are much cheaper down in Kenya.

So, first of all there is a pharmacy with 'all' the things you need to 'protect' yourself from the mosquitos - antimallaric pills, spray to protect your skin..and other stuff. The fact that this shopping mall has it's webpage and there you can find all the contacts from the different stores, helped me a lot. I've been able to find out that antimallaric pills were 5x cheaper (!) down there, since here in Croatia they cost arround 100$ (12 pcs).

Second thing I needed down there was - mobile card/number so I went into Safaricom store and bought myself a phone number for arround 100kSh. And of course I needed some credit to charge it so I took a 1000kSh which lasted for my whole trip (arround 12 days). I had enough credit to text back home every day (couple of times) and to make a few phone calls as well.

And the third thing I needed was - Nakumat store which is a really nice and big store with also 'anything' you might need for your trip over there - water, snacks, alcohol, ... Etc.

There are some banks also over there inside the shopping mall so you change your money to kenyan shillings.

I wasn't interrested in other stores since I was about to go on a trip to Serengeti with tents so I was excited about that.

And yeah, couple of guys with metal detectors are standing on entrance so don't get freaked about that. It's common thing in Nairobi to be checked with metal detectors when you're entering shopping malls, bars, restaurants...etc. Not the 'safest' city in the world.

And the last thing - I came to this mall from the city center - I took a cab and payed 700kSh.

Visited December 2012
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A good mall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Westgate shopping mall is quite big, but I only got attracted to Nakumatt Hyper Market on the ground floor and the Planet Media Cinema on the top floor, some restaurants there were nice, but most of the shops there were just average and not so attractive to be visited for shopping purpose.

Visited June 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Nice with some shops and nice restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Don't expect a shopping mall with lots of shops in Kenya. There are usually just a handful of fashion stores and none of them even coming close to what we are used to from Europe, the States or even South Africa. But this one is nicely built with some nice restaurants. Take a stroll, don't expect to find too much to buy, instead enjoy the ArtCaffe restaurant or Sushi upstairs.

Visited June 2013