“Great Hotel, Airport Convenient!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Grand Forks, Canada
“Great Hotel, Airport Convenient!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had the pleasure to spend my last two nights in Nairobi at the Boma Hotel. Travelling with my sister, we wanted a safe, comfortable hotel near to the airport. The Boma did not disappoint. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The cafe offered excellent drinks and cakes. The pool was clean and refreshing. I was suffering from a bad ankle injury, and not exploring beyond the confines of the hotel, so I can't comment on nearby amenities for shopping, etc.

The beds were comfortable, and the bathroom with separate shower and tub were a welcome treat. I had a soak both nights while there. We indulged in room service for almost all our meals, and everything we tried was absolutely delicious! The room was generous in size, and we both appreciated the spaciousness. We used hotel transportation to and from the airport, which was very convenient. Thanks to all the Boma staff for making our experience a great one. We found most hotels in Nairobi to be quite pricy, so on a relative scale, I feel the value for money was fair. And to support the Kenyan Red Cross in any capacity is always a good thing. If I find myself in Nairobi again, I would definitely stay at The Boma Hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Hello RebeccaC63,

Thank you for sharing your views on our hotel.

We are happy to have delivered on our motto; Eat well, work well, be well and sleep well. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Regards

Aggrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I had booked at the Red Court (Boma Inn) - the lower-priced 'sister' property to the Boma right next door. I was fortunate to find myself 'upgraded' to the Boma. On check-in I was greeted by a service representative who served me with a hand towel and fresh cool juice (something you expect in Asian hotels but not in Nairobi). The customer service person pointed out all the features of the luxurious-feeling room and then called later that day to ask if everything was OK. There was also a hand-signed letter on the desk welcoming me to the hotel! Technologically, the room was impressive. Next to the glass desk was a console with every conceivable kind of connection (multi-outlet power, USB, VGA, Ethernet, RCA audio/video, HDMI). Alas I didn't have most of the right connecting cables so I could try them out but I presume it links to the impressive flat-screen television. The separate shower was VERY powerful and thanks to the frosted glass wall into the bedroom, the bathroom is very light-filled. The bed was not the most comfortable that I have slept on. The cafe in the rotunda serves delicious food and excellent coffee (my capuccino was expertly served) till late hours. The restaurant serves a nicely varied generous buffet breakfast and is filled with light. I did not get a chance to use the pool, but the gym was well-staffed, with modern equipment in good repair, and windows that look out the back of the property. The other restauarants/bar in the hotel serve a fairly narrow menu and one evening we had to wait quite a while for our food to arrive, but the service was friendly, and the food quality was excellent. I look forward to returning in a few months. I like that it is quite close to the airport so you don't need to brave all of Nairobi's legendary traffic, although you will still encounter some of it on Mombasa Road. Best of all, the hotel benefits an excellent cause - the Kenyan Red Cross.

Room Tip: I would advise asking for a room that does not open onto the Rotunda if you are a light sleeper. If...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Hi olivetreecanada,
Thank you for your feedback.

We will celebrate all the positives from your stay and diligently work on the alternate restaurant where you found our menu to be limited and service slow. We look forward to your return visit.

Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The hotel is located midway between the city and the airport. Maybe not the most convenient for everyone, but it suited me perfectly. If you have an early flight to catch, you are at the airport in 15 minutes.
Brilliant and spacious rooms with all amenities you can dream of. All is spotless and good looking. Special mention for the great quality of the mattresses and bedclothes.
Breakfast buffet is nice with a wide selection of items. Having breakfast in the patio is even nicer.
Check- in was a bit difficult as my reservation got lost, but all got sorted rather fast.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hello Antoine,
Thank you for the feedback.
The Boma Nairobi team is excited that we managed to take good care of you even after the hiccups at check in. The reception staffs feel challenged and they are looking forward to your next visit as they would like to set a positive tone for another great stay.
Regards,
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel during my first Nairobi visit. It was an official tour. Spent 5 nights there and felt comfortable.

Rooms are large with bath tub and shower both. Bathroom has all amenties. Check in, the guard desk, reception, restaurants all were good.
Breakfast starts at 6am exactly. Thats the main advantage. Main restaurant has limited choice and I think its true with all large hotels.
Used their healt club for sauna and massage. Excellent service. Swiming pool is not large but not that small also.
Again I will mention about rooms. They are really large. Airconditioning was good.

It takes 15-20mins from airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi DebasishMandal,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you found our facilities, especially the rooms to be of acceptable standard to you. We have noted the limited selection and our chef is not only reviewing the menu, but the team has also been empowered to allow flexibility to long stay guests like you by offering off the buffet meals. We hope to engage you more on your next visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Very nice hotel.
Rooms are large and well organized.
Service is good and personel very friendly. I tried the buffet at the restaurant and I find the choice a bit limited.
I will go back there for my next visit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi Ali,
Thank you for the feedback. Our chef feels challenged that you he did not lay out enough varieties for you. We can't wait for your next visit as the chef has promised to spoil with choices.

Regards,

Aggrey.
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Hadn't planned and extra night stay in Nairobi, but a 24 flight delay changed those plans. The Boma ended up being a saving surprise and turned what could have been a horrible situation (who wants a 24 hr delay to get home?) into an impromptu and relaxing get away. Everything about it was wonderful, from the staff, the rooms (loved the rooms!), amenities, pool... even got to use the spa and it was a delight. Food was good. Lots of variety so you're bound to find something you'll fancy. Very peaceful. Spent most of the day just chilling around the hotel... lobby coffee bar, pool, spa, my room... which had a wonderful fully opening sliding door onto a balcony looking out over the front. Doesn't seem all that close to things (except the airport), but I wasn't really wanting to go out anyway.... and did see cabs and such go in and out all day, so certain where ever you need to go, the staff will help you get there. And I expect the serenity of the place had everything to do with it being a little more tucked away instead of in the heart of the city. Can't speak to price or value b/c British Airways paid. Got the sense that it would be wonderful for business travel but possibly be too pricey for me to go on holiday (though expect its consistent with other hotels in the area esp at the same level of quality). We'd also just come out of working a week in the rift valley, staying in huts, with cold showers, so this really was a dream in comparison. I think I took a bath and two hot showers in 24 hours! Would really recommend it as a delightful place, even if you can only swing it for a night or two to get away..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Hi acflemming,
Thank you for your review.
We thank BA for giving you a chance to discover our hotel – The Boma Nairobi. We hope that next time; we will be on your Nairobi itinerary.
silicon valley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The price is high for a basic hotel. It is close to airport 20-30 minute drive with no traffic. It is clean, bit Ihad some trouble with my booking. They mixed up the dates. And wanted to charge me again after I showed them I had prepaid. So I had to give them permission to charge again, but ended up they didn't place the second charge. The manager Gideon was a bit aggressive about it( he wouldn't let me leave to catch my plane, by actually blocking my departure.) So be careful.

Room Tip: Industrial area so no room is better than another.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hi travel4fun111,
Thank you for your feedback.
It is unfortunate that your stay with us was not as great as we would have liked.
From our records, you were booked and paid for by African Wildcats Adventures to stay on the night of 2nd February 2014. Although you did not show up, no communication was received to indicate that your arrival had been changed to 19th February 2014. We regret the inconvenience caused to you as the duty manager did not know the status of the pre-payment made for your earlier booking. Please let me know through our hotel email if your credit card was charged for me to process a refund.

Aggrey

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!