“Money stolen from my safe...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Dallas, Texas
“Money stolen from my safe...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a nice modern feel - probably the most modern in Nairobi. The staff are nice and the amenities (restaurants, pool, gym) are top notch. The views and general area surrounding the hotel could be better.

All of the positives above will forever be tainted in my mind because of what happened during my stay. To sum it up, some money placed in my safe was stolen. Upon arrival, I placed several new 100 dollar bills stacked together in the regular paper band in my safe and left my room for over 12 hours. When I got back, I opened my safe to do a count of how much money I had left. To my surprise it was short $200. I'm certain because I had had a similar incident occur at another hotel in Kenya (Sopa Lodge Masai Mara)... So I made a habit of counting my money frequently and I did so before placing it in the safe at The Boma. I immediately called security and told them what happened... they gave me the stupid 'we don't have access to the safe' story. Anyone with common sense knows that the hotel does have access to the safes, they have to in cases where the code can't be remembered by guests or when guests forget to unlock the safe before checking out. Anyway after admitting to having access, they said they would investigate to see who could have entered the room, other than housekeeping (the probable suspects). The following day (my checkout day), the head of security came to my room to give a report on the video surveillance tapes they had looked at. He said they apparently only looked at the period from when I arrived back in my room to discover the stolen money, till several hours in the future and saw nothing. How dumb is that? The money was stolen before that time period. Anyway after calling him out on the stupidity, he assured me that they would look into it further and get back to me as soon as they concluded further investigation. Till this day they never called or emailed me. I didn't think they would.

Anyway, I feel obligated to share my story so everyone is aware that hotels have full access to 'their' safes and the crooks that work there will open them whenever they get the opportunity. They are looking for a perfect situation like mine... They saw a stack of bills and pinched a few in hopes that I wouldn't notice. I'm left to wonder what else they would be capable of doing... Since they get to see all the personal items we put in their safes - passports, credit cards, etc.

Unfortunately, I won't get my money back, but I certainly hope what happened to me doesn't keep happening to unsuspecting people.

• Stayed December 2013
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hello Tsanwo,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in December 2013. It is unfortunate that any positives from your stay were overshadowed by the loss of cash from your room.

It is true we have a PDA that can be used to access safes in our hotel. The gadget is in the custody of our security manager and once it is used your original password will not work again until you call in for assistance. It is on the basis of this that our security team was almost certain that if you did not get any difficult in accessing your safe, then it was highly unlikely that someone had tempered with it.

That notwithstanding, we regret the poor way the whole issue was handled. I know how difficult and painful it was for you to write the review as it made you re-live an unpleasant experience. Although I do not have any facts to prove the loss or otherwise of your cash, I am willing to reimburse you for your loss. Please contact me and let me the most convenience way for me to do this.
Thank you.

Aggrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Attleborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We were taken to the Boma for dinner after flying in from the Mara to Wilson Airport and prior to our overnight flight to the UK. The hotel looked a great place to stay but we only tried the Tembo Bistro where we enjoyed an excellent meal and drinks; when I checked the bill back in the UK on my Credit Card statement I was very pleasantly surprised at the cost £25 or $40, great value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Hi Berdewelle,

Thank you for your review.
We are happy you enjoyed your brief visit to our hotel. The Tembo Bistro team is encouraged by your kind words and the rest of the Boma team is challenged hope for an opportunity to showcase what they can should you ever visit us again.

Regards,

Musoma, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The only reason we (me, my wife, and 15-month-old child) stayed at The Boma was because our flight out of Nairobi was delayed and British Airways put us up there for the night. Our experience at the airport had been exhausting, but staying at The Boma put a smile back on our faces. The service by all staff (concierge, check-in, restaurant) was outstanding and far exceeding typical standards in East Africa. Our room was spacious and luxurious-feeling. And our two meals in the restaurant, though mostly served in buffet style, were amazing. The quality of the food was excellent, the variety was impressive, and the staff simply insisted on doing all they could to make the experience pleasurable. I can't speak to the prices, since I wasn't the one paying, but I'd be thrilled to spend another night at The Boma should the opportunity arise again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Hello AmericaninTZ,

We are glad BA gave you an opportunity to sample our facilities and services. We hope we will be your hotel of choice should your travels bring you back to Nairobi.
Kind regards,

Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice little hotel tucked a few minutes from the airport and Nairobi national park.

Service was good, food was good, rooms were great and best of all, profits go to the Kenya Red Cross.

Would most likely return here

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Hello Charles,
Thank you for your review.
We look forward to your return as the team at The Boma is determined to offer you not just great rooms, but great service to match.
Kind regards,
Blantyre, Blantyre, Malawi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

This is my first stay here and was recommended by a colleague. It is close to the airport (20mins) and for 20 USD you can be collected by the hotel shuttle. Saves looking for a taxi. I had a lovely driver called Amos. Check in was a bit slow as the receptionist was not there but only had a 5 - 10 min wait and was then dealt with very efficiently by James. The rooms are beautiful and I cannot fault them. The staff are very friendly. I ate in the hotel and the chicken pizza was great. Brilliant breakfast buffet. Nice places to sit down and either work quietly on the free wi fi or read a book or have a quiet small meeting. Thank you Boma. Profits from this hotel group goes to the Red Cross movement so support it.

Room Tip: There are smoking and non smoking rooms available.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hi Gillian B,

We are greatly relieved that after a slow started, we managed to take good care of you. We hope to see you sooner than later as we would like if subsequent to your feedback, our interventions have had the desired impact on our speed of check in.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The Boma Hotel is not far from the airport tucked away on a very secure property in lavish surroundings. The staff is warm and friendly for the duration of your stay . A special thank you to Titus , Jefferson and all the staff i fail to recall but who made my stay very special.

The food is perfect with a wide variety of freshly prepared delights from Breakfast to supper and every meal was delivered with the same high level of service and friendliness you come to enjoy

For a great business stay with large comfortable rooms and great wifi services the Bome is the way to go and add to that its profits go directly to the Red Cross

Happy stay Raymond

Room Tip: Take a costume as the pool is very inviting
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi Raymond E,

Thank you for your feedback.
Titus, Jefferson and the rest of the team are happy that you noticed and appreciated their effort in making your stay hustle free.

We look forward to your next visit.
Regards

Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Although a bit pricey, we were pleasantly satisfied with the service of The Boma. Upon our arrival in Nairobi, we proceeded to The Boma to leave our luggage for storage while we go on a safari. After a long haul, much to our delight, they not only allowed storage, they also allowed us to take a shower at their health spa, provided toiletries and fresh towels, even if we won't be checking in that day.

The rooms are spacious, the beds are of good quality. There was a fairly good spread of buffet breakfast. They also provided complimentary cake and sang for a birthday celebrant as well.

The hotel is located outside Nairobi City, some twenty minute drive to/from the airport, which was perfect place to stay while just in transit. Nairobi City's traffic can be really bad especially on a work weekday so it was wise to stay here.

The only drawback was the mosquitoes around the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Hello iamwanderlass,

Thank you for your feedback.

The team at The Boma is encouraged by your kind words. On the mosquito menace, it is a challenge we are battling with due to the vast open grounds in our neighborhood. Apart from regular spraying, we have also introduced mosquito repellant wipes in an effort to reduce discomfort to our customers. We hope you will confirm on your return visit if the approach has yielded fruits.

Thank you and see you soon.

Aggrey

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!