“Large Comfortable Single” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #5 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
Boston, Massachusetts
“Large Comfortable Single”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Comfortable bed. A great breakfast each morning. Other reviewers mentioned a problem with not having hot water in the shower. From experience, I just let the water run for a bit and it was fine. I paid $200 a night for a large single. Expensive, but worth it considering the options. The only issue I had was that the bathroom walls are made of frosted glass. Is this really appealing to couples, families, or traveling friends to see their traveling partners silhouettes in the shower or on the can? I might be prudish, but this is a strange concept for me. I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Aggrey B, General Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hi Xosgul,
Thank you for your feedback.
We have noted your reservations about the frosted glass. As a listening hotel, we will look at the possibility of blacking out some rooms on each floor for customers who might be uncomfortable with the design.
Aggrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

A lovely, modern, new hotel and in many ways an oasis of calm in the middle of Nairobi - or at least it would be if it was in the middle of Nairobi! It's handy for the airport but not much good if you want to explore downtown and/or have a fun night out. Yes the hotel can provide a driver and a car but at considerable cost and the traffic day and night in Nairobi is pretty bad. It can take hours to get anywhere.

Plus points - staff are great, nice looking, pleasant, good fun, keen to please. Rooms are large and well appointed
Minus points - shower didn't provide water at a consistent temperature; noise from next door room was obtrusive at times; lifts not always working properly.

Ultimately the hotel is a bit boring but if you just want to relax and get some peace and quiet this could be a good place for you. And you can leave getting to the airport until fairly late!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Aggrey B, General Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi Jeremy P,
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. Our team is encouraged for recognizing them and they have promised to work even harder on the minus points to make your next stay perfect.
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel, open for under a year, is beautifully decorated and creatively and functionally designed. The room was comfortable and with full amenities. Wifi was easily accessed. The breakfast in the dining room was excellent with full buffet and egg station. The servers were very attentive. The reception staff were helpful and efficient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi Cyprusdean,
Thank you for sharing your views about our hotel and service. Our team is quite motivated by your kind words and we hope you will find the same consistency on your return visit.
Richardson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We couldn't get home, but this hotel made us feel at home!! Due to the fire at the Nairobi airport, we were stranded at this hotel. I can not tell you how nice, accommodating, sincere, that the whole staff was!! They genuinely felt sorry for us!
I must say that the "one" employee that stood out to me was the restaurant manager George Masime. I can't say enough about his generosity and friendliness. His smile every time I saw him really warmed my heart!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Lisa,
I hope you have put behind the nightmare caused by the fire incident at the airport. We understanding the inconvenience and frustration of not knowing when you will actual get on the plane. We are however happy that the team was able to ease that anxiety, especially George. We have recognizing for being the perfect host.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Incredible rooms - larger than other good hotels we stayed in and we had two rooms adjoining with internal door - great for close family or friends. Amazing service and a la carte menu really good value - superb main course around £10 and sweet £5. Buffet breakfast was the largest choice we have had anywhere.Just 10 mins taxi from Nairobi airport

• Stayed August 2013
Hi Jeremy P,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

After staying in a complete dump last time we were in Nairobi I was pleasantly surprised by the Boma. I am not sure I would give this hotel 4 stars if it were located in another city, but it's decent for Nairobi (albeit a bit pricey). The main benefit to the hotel is its location which is fairly close to both the international (Kenyatta) and main domestic airport (Wilson). I say "close" but that's also dependent on traffic - 15 minutes at 5:30am on a Monday morning and about an hour at 9pm on a Sunday evening! Beware...

The hotel is fairly new so everything is in good condition. The rooms are sizeable and have pretty much everything you might want like a nifty device charging outlet with lots of different sockets/connections. There are a few rough edges (the hot water was a bit dodgy first thing in the morning and the AC wasn't quite as cold as I would have liked), but this place is fine as a transit stop on your way to/from Nairobi. The staff were friendly although we had a bit of a mixup with an airport pick-up (it never turned up). The buffet breakfast was fine as was the dinner at the casual restaurant one night. Nothing amazing, but fine as a stopover destination.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Blackers79,
Thank you for the review.
We have taken note of the areas where we did not “wow” you and our team will work on them to bridge the gap from ordinary to extra ordinary.
Sheffield, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After a gruelling two weeks of camping I was really looking forward to having a hot shower more than anything. The shower in my room was lukewarm at best so I called for it to be fixed. The reception phone was not answered so I had to try housekeeping.

After contacting the staff maintenance came to my room, however after 20 minutes or so had not fixed the problem. I asked for a progress update and was told it was just my room and not the whole floor. I called reception (which again, went unanswered for some time) and requested a new room as soon as possible (at this stage I was still waiting in a dressing gown and getting understandably impatient).

For a hotel of this calibre I would have expected the staff to offer me a new room if the problem with the shower couldn't be solved within five minutes or so (without me having to call and request the same). The room change could have been quicker but at least the shower was hot (although not particularly powerful due to the large rain shower design). The rain shower design also meant that the bathroom flooded when I used the shower.

Food: I ordered a burger from room service. It was horrible: grey, mushy "beef" and not cheap (approx US$13). On check out I explained and requested it was taken off the bill. The manager accommodated my request and did seem genuinely appreciative of constructive criticism. I tried again the following evening with a seafood linguine - much better.

The positives: the front of house staff are polite and welcoming and maintenance were very polite and apologetic (the room service staff ought to stick a smile on their faces). The bed is a good size and comfortable. The TV has a couple of decent channels, the AC works and there are nice, soft robes and slippers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Aggrey B, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello CandyMountain,

Thank you for the candid views on your experience at our hotel. We understand how frustrating it must have been for you when things went wrong one after another with no timely intervention from any member of our team members. We have a quality control system in place with built in checks and follow ups to ensure consistency of service delivery. Obviously, some of us in the chain went to slept and we deeply regret for the subsequent inconvenient caused to you. We have taken corrective action and we are confident the rest of the team will stick to the game plan for the comfort of our guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Aggrey

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!