“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Incredible rooms - larger than other good hotels we stayed in and we had two rooms adjoining with internal door - great for close family or friends. Amazing service and a la carte menu really good value - superb main course around £10 and sweet £5. Buffet breakfast was the largest choice we have had anywhere.Just 10 mins taxi from Nairobi airport

• Stayed August 2013
Aggrey B, General Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi Jeremy P,
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. Our team is encouraged for recognizing them and they have promised to work even harder on the minus points to make your next stay perfect.

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

After staying in a complete dump last time we were in Nairobi I was pleasantly surprised by the Boma. I am not sure I would give this hotel 4 stars if it were located in another city, but it's decent for Nairobi (albeit a bit pricey). The main benefit to the hotel is its location which is fairly close to both the international (Kenyatta) and main domestic airport (Wilson). I say "close" but that's also dependent on traffic - 15 minutes at 5:30am on a Monday morning and about an hour at 9pm on a Sunday evening! Beware...

The hotel is fairly new so everything is in good condition. The rooms are sizeable and have pretty much everything you might want like a nifty device charging outlet with lots of different sockets/connections. There are a few rough edges (the hot water was a bit dodgy first thing in the morning and the AC wasn't quite as cold as I would have liked), but this place is fine as a transit stop on your way to/from Nairobi. The staff were friendly although we had a bit of a mixup with an airport pick-up (it never turned up). The buffet breakfast was fine as was the dinner at the casual restaurant one night. Nothing amazing, but fine as a stopover destination.

Hello Blackers79,
Thank you for the review.
We have taken note of the areas where we did not “wow” you and our team will work on them to bridge the gap from ordinary to extra ordinary.
Sheffield, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After a gruelling two weeks of camping I was really looking forward to having a hot shower more than anything. The shower in my room was lukewarm at best so I called for it to be fixed. The reception phone was not answered so I had to try housekeeping.

After contacting the staff maintenance came to my room, however after 20 minutes or so had not fixed the problem. I asked for a progress update and was told it was just my room and not the whole floor. I called reception (which again, went unanswered for some time) and requested a new room as soon as possible (at this stage I was still waiting in a dressing gown and getting understandably impatient).

For a hotel of this calibre I would have expected the staff to offer me a new room if the problem with the shower couldn't be solved within five minutes or so (without me having to call and request the same). The room change could have been quicker but at least the shower was hot (although not particularly powerful due to the large rain shower design). The rain shower design also meant that the bathroom flooded when I used the shower.

Food: I ordered a burger from room service. It was horrible: grey, mushy "beef" and not cheap (approx US$13). On check out I explained and requested it was taken off the bill. The manager accommodated my request and did seem genuinely appreciative of constructive criticism. I tried again the following evening with a seafood linguine - much better.

The positives: the front of house staff are polite and welcoming and maintenance were very polite and apologetic (the room service staff ought to stick a smile on their faces). The bed is a good size and comfortable. The TV has a couple of decent channels, the AC works and there are nice, soft robes and slippers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Aggrey B, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello CandyMountain,

Thank you for the candid views on your experience at our hotel. We understand how frustrating it must have been for you when things went wrong one after another with no timely intervention from any member of our team members. We have a quality control system in place with built in checks and follow ups to ensure consistency of service delivery. Obviously, some of us in the chain went to slept and we deeply regret for the subsequent inconvenient caused to you. We have taken corrective action and we are confident the rest of the team will stick to the game plan for the comfort of our guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Regards,

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Booked a room here after my Masai Mara safari as i needed something close to the airport. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, the restaurant had a lovely buffet for both dinner and breakfast but I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed by the room. It cost me around 200GBP for the night and the room just didn't reflect this. Nairobi definitely seems to operate on London prices where you either pay quite a lot for questionable accommodation or a LOT for something a little more solid but not amazing.
I would class it as a business hotel and for this purpose I would be perfectly satisfied. I would stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Aggrey B, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello lucym7,

Thank you for sharing your views on our hotel. We have taken note of your feedback on the competitiveness of our rates and disappointment with your room. We will contact you under different cover for details of our failings in the room for purposes of taking corrective measures.

Thank you once again and we do appreciate your willingness to support us in future.

Regards,
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

we have travelled quite a lot and have stayed in many different hotels.. I cant remember but I think it takes about 1 hour from international airport to the hotel.. the location a bit far but its located in the main center of Nairobi.. so its ok.. facilities and services are all good.. big room with a comfortable bed..havent got time to try the pool, but I think that they have a big pool.. sure we will stay there again when we are back to Nairobi next time... highly recommended..

Annie,
Thank you for recommending us. Well travelled customers like you gives us an opportunity to benchmark against the best. We are truly encouraged and we look forward to your return visit.
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the Boma with colleagues on a business trip recently.
The staff were friendly and efficient. Everyone was attentive and tried very hard.
The gym was good and my room was great. The only problem was the shower but that didn't spoil my experience.
Keep up the good work and attitude.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi Col801,

We are happy indeed that our shortfalls did not dampen your spirit or spoil your stay with us. Keep well and see you soon at the Boma.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for one night on our way back from Masai Mara. Check in was good. The reception did not insist on my CC for incidentals since I was only staying for one night. We were escorted to the room and the staff gave us a briefing.

The room is very well laid out, spacious and bright. Its really new and its simply perfect, the bed, the mattress, the room facilities were excellent. The pillows were rather soft, I guess if there was a pillow menu that would helped greatly.

The bathroom was ok, A little small.. the shower cubicle was ok but the water was spilling out onto the floor from the shower.. it caused the entire bathroom floor to be wet. The shower area had no hand shower, its a little risky if the water is too cold or too hot when it falls on to your head. Otherwise its all good.

There was no evening turn-down service.

Breakfast was good, service was within expectations. I love the breakfast area layout and its bright and sunny.

It was good stay and close enough to both Wilson Airport and Kenyatta. Not forgetting the Gift shop was awesome.. we shopped alot...

Vignesh215
Thank you for giving us an opportunity to host you. We value your feedback particularly in areas like turn down service and lack of hand towels where we seem not to have maintained consistency in service.
Thank you once again and see you soon!

Aggrey

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!