“Nice but expensive for what it is...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #4 of 91 hotels in Nairobi
London, UK
“Nice but expensive for what it is...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Booked a room here after my Masai Mara safari as i needed something close to the airport. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, the restaurant had a lovely buffet for both dinner and breakfast but I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed by the room. It cost me around 200GBP for the night and the room just didn't reflect this. Nairobi definitely seems to operate on London prices where you either pay quite a lot for questionable accommodation or a LOT for something a little more solid but not amazing.
I would class it as a business hotel and for this purpose I would be perfectly satisfied. I would stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Aggrey B, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello lucym7,

Thank you for sharing your views on our hotel. We have taken note of your feedback on the competitiveness of our rates and disappointment with your room. We will contact you under different cover for details of our failings in the room for purposes of taking corrective measures.

Thank you once again and we do appreciate your willingness to support us in future.

Regards,

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

we have travelled quite a lot and have stayed in many different hotels.. I cant remember but I think it takes about 1 hour from international airport to the hotel.. the location a bit far but its located in the main center of Nairobi.. so its ok.. facilities and services are all good.. big room with a comfortable bed..havent got time to try the pool, but I think that they have a big pool.. sure we will stay there again when we are back to Nairobi next time... highly recommended..

Annie,
Thank you for recommending us. Well travelled customers like you gives us an opportunity to benchmark against the best. We are truly encouraged and we look forward to your return visit.
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the Boma with colleagues on a business trip recently.
The staff were friendly and efficient. Everyone was attentive and tried very hard.
The gym was good and my room was great. The only problem was the shower but that didn't spoil my experience.
Keep up the good work and attitude.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi Col801,

We are happy indeed that our shortfalls did not dampen your spirit or spoil your stay with us. Keep well and see you soon at the Boma.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for one night on our way back from Masai Mara. Check in was good. The reception did not insist on my CC for incidentals since I was only staying for one night. We were escorted to the room and the staff gave us a briefing.

The room is very well laid out, spacious and bright. Its really new and its simply perfect, the bed, the mattress, the room facilities were excellent. The pillows were rather soft, I guess if there was a pillow menu that would helped greatly.

The bathroom was ok, A little small.. the shower cubicle was ok but the water was spilling out onto the floor from the shower.. it caused the entire bathroom floor to be wet. The shower area had no hand shower, its a little risky if the water is too cold or too hot when it falls on to your head. Otherwise its all good.

There was no evening turn-down service.

Breakfast was good, service was within expectations. I love the breakfast area layout and its bright and sunny.

It was good stay and close enough to both Wilson Airport and Kenyatta. Not forgetting the Gift shop was awesome.. we shopped alot...

Vignesh215
Thank you for giving us an opportunity to host you. We value your feedback particularly in areas like turn down service and lack of hand towels where we seem not to have maintained consistency in service.
Thank you once again and see you soon!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here for a few days before heading to the Masai Mara. Their concierge first advised us that we could easily make it to Karen before the highlights of the area would close by leaving at 330pm with everything closing at 530. We didn't even make it out of the neighbourhood by 5pm. I was furious - I spent $70USD to sit in traffic to just tell them to turn around at 5pm because it was pointless. The next day I stupidly scheduled a car to take us to the airport. They INSISTED it would take 15 minutes MAXIMUM. I was in that car for an hour when I found out that with 10 minutes before the flight, we were heading to the wrong airport. We were then in the car for an additional 2 hours, only to end up back at the Boma. The manager insisted he arranged everything and covered the costs, which was a complete lie. I had to pay an extra $100 for the tickets he arranged and claimed to have covered and extra to have the Mara lodge pick us up (but I have to admit, the Mara Serena folks didn't charge nearly as much as they could have for having picked us up across the park, and they made the drive from the airstrip we ended up at UNBELIEVABLE and worth every penny spent on the drive - I can only say the absolute best about the Mara Serena). I will also say the Boma is clean, the staff is kind (albeit lacking knowledge about the area) and the food is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't on ground level - including not ground level with the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi J W,

Thank you for your views on the experience you had at the Boma. I regret the unfortunate incident involving your transport and the attendant costs as a consequence of misinformation and lack of commitment from our team. I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been for you spend few more hours in the hotel while waiting for alternative flight.

I would like to refund the extra $100 you incurred due to the missed flight. I know this will in no way compensate you for the inconvenience, but I hope you will accept it as a token of appreciation for even finding it in you to commend our other services. I have sent you a note with my email details. Please let me know the most convenient way for us to process the refund.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here the two nights before our safari. This hotel is outstanding. Outstanding facilities and staff. The manager George was so friendly and went out of his way to make all 10 of us feel welcome. The Johari Restaurant's food was well prepared with a great variety. This hotel is an oasis in the middle of Nairobi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aggrey B, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hi Jmom48,
Thank you for sharing your views about our hotel. George and his team at Johari are ecstatic for the recognition and they look forward for your return after safari.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a nice place as it is near Nairobi (NBO) airport. The hotel is excellent, clean, new, near the airport... and the profits go to the Red Cross. Incredible service. Free wifi (for now at least).

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the traffic and are in Nairobi only for a few days...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Aggrey B, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Good day Thierry_S0phie,
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assured that WIFI being a critical business tool will continue being offered at no extra cost to our customers.

Aggrey

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!