“High level of hospitallity” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Leiden, The Netherlands
“High level of hospitallity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked the Boma in Nairobi but found ourselves in the Red Court hotel which is part of this complex. Although not far from the airport you will need a taxi (approx KSh 1800 or 20 USD). The staff is extremely friendly and not at all pushing for additional services to be charged. There is a nice garden where you can sit outside, a powersocket next to the table to charge your laptop when using the free and good working Wifi. Both meals and service is of excellent quality. Part of the complex is also the conference area which is used for international meetings. Also here the food, staff and service is excellent. Only disadvantage is that the hotel is that well guarded that you don't feel like taking a stroll in the surroundings.

I think this place deserves a recommendation.

Room Tip: As mentioned, we thought we booked a room in the Boma which is the other part of the complex but wer...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I am a regular business visitor to Nairobi (4 times a year, a week at a time) and this will now be my hotel of choice.
The location for me is ideal - close to the airport, just off Mombasa road, so no more sitting in traffic for hours a day.
As a new property it is clean, eye catching, and appealing. The airport collection was on time and easy to find. Check in was quick and easy and whilst we had a dispute about the cost of the transfer (I had included it in the prepayment, they wanted cash), the front office said not to worry, go to the room, freshen up and we can discuss it later - good attitude!
I then got the standard tour of the room, how the A/C works etc, but at least this time the lady didn't hang around waiting for a tip like so much of Africa. Same with the luggage drop off, in and out.
The rooms are of a high standard, decent working area, good flatscreen, plenty of charging plugs, tea and coffee and mini bar and comfortable bed with high quality linen.
The bathrooms are also very good. Soft towels, good quality complimentary soaps etc and very good hot water pressure.
Wifi was decent speed and was FREE! Well done Boma. This alone makes such a change from other NBO hotels.
The restaurant was also up to standard. Good food, good service. The dinner buffet could have had a bit more choice, and the bread board at breakfast could have been better stocked - but that is nit picking.
Overall, very impressed for Nairobi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ali K, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Boma on your previous visit to Nairobi. It was indeed our pleasure to host you and showcase our best hospitality to you.

We are delighted that the airport pick up service was fast, free of traffic and the check in was flawless. I am also happy that our rooms suited your requirements with well appointed power sockets, cleanliness, luxurious platinum toiletries and smooth bedroom and bathroom linen. Our Front Office staff surely have made us proud by facilitating your smooth check in and I'll make sure that the same is offered to all our esteemed guests.

We have noted your comment on our breakfast bread selection and dinner menu offering which our Executive Chef has taken into consideration already and for sure you will see a difference on your next visit.

Thank you once again for staying with us and appointing us as your preferred choice of hotel on your future visits to Nairobi.

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotels | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000| (cell) +254 719 050 000
Lusaka, Zambia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the Boma to be pleasantly surprised by the structure and lay out. The staff were friendly and the security check was not intimidating. I got my room upgraded with no problems at all, and boy was it worth. I must admit, I now have an additional bias to the hotel as on of the few that have smoking rooms. Fantastic stay.

Only down side was with the airport transfers the company charges $20 per person, even if you are sharing. That to me was just outrageous and I refused to sign the voucher. After all, if I knew, I would no have shared! So stand warned if you sign up for the airport transfers. Also, stand warned that refusing to sign the voucher does not mean they will not circumvent the control (of signing all bills) and still include it on your tab.

Overall I enjoyed the stay. South C is a nice place, but the traffic getting in, especially if you land around 5pm can be horrendous.

• Stayed February 2013
kenya nai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been to this hotel it's nice not the usual hotel you walk in .price is expensive to a traveller but good for a business company director interns of price or when a company is paying personally I haven't stayed there but had coffee and lunch there .the service to me is poor below what I would expect of this property interns of prices and what I Cameron conclude is that the management when the started the poached staffs from different place who have not yet clicked iow to work as a unit and asmuch as you find so many security guys around I can confirm I walked all theway from redcourt there sister hotel to the boma through the gate to the stairs without anyone noticing and to me this was serious lack off security I would not term it as a transit hotel but a bussines conferenceor companies than a transit

Room Tip: Basically I would advice one overlooking the park
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Valparaiso, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

BOMA is more of a business travelers hotel than a vacationers. If I can give advice and your going to Nairobi stay at the Fairview for holiday. It is very nice and quaint plus the restaurant is the best in Nairobi! I have nothing really bad to say about the BOMA. Its nice, but the staff was not very informative on restaurants or attractions in the area. The one bonus of the BOMA is its location to the Airport. I stopped through on my way to the Seychelles so I was only there one night so it was fine but we were left to find our own food and entertainment. The concierge was not very informative for a supposed 5 star hotel. Room was nice and hotel was clean so if your a business traveler I would say go for it but if not stay at the Fairview! The price was higher than the value at $280USD so that was a negative. It should have been $150.

Room Tip: Rooms are tight but nice. Plus it was clean
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ali K, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Brian,

First and foremost i wish to thank you for choosing to stay with us while on transit to Seychelles.

I am further happy that our rooms and entire hotel's comfort and cleanliness met your expectations. It is our aim to ensure that the service offered by our staff compliments the product but at this instance, our Concierge team did not meet the threshold. Thank you for highlighting this as it will help us in correcting the shortcoming.

We look forward to hosting you in your future visits to Nairobi.

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotel | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000 (cell) +254 719 050 000
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Most hotels where I have stayed in Nairobi are overpriced (upward of $200/night) and you don't get much for your money. The airport lacks a good transit hotel within a short distance or walk. The newly opened Boma seems to fill this gap. Located off the main road into town (quiet), but close to the airport (30 minutes with a full on Nairobi Monday morning traffic jam, 10 minutes without traffic) - this hotel is modern, has reasonable internet, the staff are very friendly and the proceeds go to the Kenyan Red Cross. Nice restaurants, good room service, nice modern bathrooms. The only drawback was the bed was a little firm for my tastes. Definitely a place I will stay again when I transit Nairobi.

Room Tip: You might ask for a higher floor or a room not facing the parking lot. It was not too noisy, but I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ali K, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Sir,

Greetings from the Boma, Nairobi!!!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your valuable feedback in this forum.

We are glad that our product and service met your expectations as we always strive to offer professional and timely service to all our esteemed guests. We have noted your concern on the mattress which was a little firm.

Our location serves best for all guests on transit through the Jomo Kenyatta International airport and the Wilson airport.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and happier that you have promised to stay with us in your future visits to Nairobi.

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotels | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000 | (cell) +254 719 050 000
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a world class business hotel at a very reasonable price. I would put it against any Starwood property any day. At the same time, I found it to be very friendly to dirty and bedraggled travelers, as we happened to be on the last day of our two week holiday. At the price we secured it was an exceptional value.

Highlights:
- day-long (10-12 hour) tour arranged by the hotel was at the lower end of quotes we'd received from others in Nairobi, and was very comfortable and efficient
- hotel room service dinner was excellent and reasonably priced
- breakfast buffet was outstanding
- transfer to and from the airport was painless

Tips
- Just take an official taxi from the airport, it's fast, easy, and the cheapest option. As I recall it was a fixed rate of something like 1800 Ksh

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!