“Great place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Lusaka, Zambia
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the Boma to be pleasantly surprised by the structure and lay out. The staff were friendly and the security check was not intimidating. I got my room upgraded with no problems at all, and boy was it worth. I must admit, I now have an additional bias to the hotel as on of the few that have smoking rooms. Fantastic stay.

Only down side was with the airport transfers the company charges $20 per person, even if you are sharing. That to me was just outrageous and I refused to sign the voucher. After all, if I knew, I would no have shared! So stand warned if you sign up for the airport transfers. Also, stand warned that refusing to sign the voucher does not mean they will not circumvent the control (of signing all bills) and still include it on your tab.

Overall I enjoyed the stay. South C is a nice place, but the traffic getting in, especially if you land around 5pm can be horrendous.

• Stayed February 2013

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
kenya nai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been to this hotel it's nice not the usual hotel you walk in .price is expensive to a traveller but good for a business company director interns of price or when a company is paying personally I haven't stayed there but had coffee and lunch there .the service to me is poor below what I would expect of this property interns of prices and what I Cameron conclude is that the management when the started the poached staffs from different place who have not yet clicked iow to work as a unit and asmuch as you find so many security guys around I can confirm I walked all theway from redcourt there sister hotel to the boma through the gate to the stairs without anyone noticing and to me this was serious lack off security I would not term it as a transit hotel but a bussines conferenceor companies than a transit

Room Tip: Basically I would advice one overlooking the park
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Valparaiso, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

BOMA is more of a business travelers hotel than a vacationers. If I can give advice and your going to Nairobi stay at the Fairview for holiday. It is very nice and quaint plus the restaurant is the best in Nairobi! I have nothing really bad to say about the BOMA. Its nice, but the staff was not very informative on restaurants or attractions in the area. The one bonus of the BOMA is its location to the Airport. I stopped through on my way to the Seychelles so I was only there one night so it was fine but we were left to find our own food and entertainment. The concierge was not very informative for a supposed 5 star hotel. Room was nice and hotel was clean so if your a business traveler I would say go for it but if not stay at the Fairview! The price was higher than the value at $280USD so that was a negative. It should have been $150.

Room Tip: Rooms are tight but nice. Plus it was clean
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ali K, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Brian,

First and foremost i wish to thank you for choosing to stay with us while on transit to Seychelles.

I am further happy that our rooms and entire hotel's comfort and cleanliness met your expectations. It is our aim to ensure that the service offered by our staff compliments the product but at this instance, our Concierge team did not meet the threshold. Thank you for highlighting this as it will help us in correcting the shortcoming.

We look forward to hosting you in your future visits to Nairobi.

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotel | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000 (cell) +254 719 050 000
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Most hotels where I have stayed in Nairobi are overpriced (upward of $200/night) and you don't get much for your money. The airport lacks a good transit hotel within a short distance or walk. The newly opened Boma seems to fill this gap. Located off the main road into town (quiet), but close to the airport (30 minutes with a full on Nairobi Monday morning traffic jam, 10 minutes without traffic) - this hotel is modern, has reasonable internet, the staff are very friendly and the proceeds go to the Kenyan Red Cross. Nice restaurants, good room service, nice modern bathrooms. The only drawback was the bed was a little firm for my tastes. Definitely a place I will stay again when I transit Nairobi.

Room Tip: You might ask for a higher floor or a room not facing the parking lot. It was not too noisy, but I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ali K, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Sir,

Greetings from the Boma, Nairobi!!!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your valuable feedback in this forum.

We are glad that our product and service met your expectations as we always strive to offer professional and timely service to all our esteemed guests. We have noted your concern on the mattress which was a little firm.

Our location serves best for all guests on transit through the Jomo Kenyatta International airport and the Wilson airport.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and happier that you have promised to stay with us in your future visits to Nairobi.

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotels | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000 | (cell) +254 719 050 000
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a world class business hotel at a very reasonable price. I would put it against any Starwood property any day. At the same time, I found it to be very friendly to dirty and bedraggled travelers, as we happened to be on the last day of our two week holiday. At the price we secured it was an exceptional value.

Highlights:
- day-long (10-12 hour) tour arranged by the hotel was at the lower end of quotes we'd received from others in Nairobi, and was very comfortable and efficient
- hotel room service dinner was excellent and reasonably priced
- breakfast buffet was outstanding
- transfer to and from the airport was painless

Tips
- Just take an official taxi from the airport, it's fast, easy, and the cheapest option. As I recall it was a fixed rate of something like 1800 Ksh

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Easily accessible from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport makes The Boma a good option when travel plans demand an overnight stay in Nairobi. It is not a cheap option however, at USD $250 for a single room, I pretty much expect 5* service from start to end.

The hotel is situated just off the Mombasa Road, the surrounding views are uninspiring, its buildings, more buildings and yes, more buildings but The Boma itself is finished to a reasonably good standard, just don't look too carefully at the finishing. I choose the Boma over the Eka and Ole Sereni simply because of their commitment that all profits would be passed to the Red Cross.

Check-in took approximately 15 minutes, I appreciate that the hotel is new and the staff are becoming accustomed to the systems. Fortunately as I was the only one checking-in this was not a problem, had there been a queue behind me I can imagine that many would have become rapidly frustrated.

My room was large and airy with a good sized bathroom (more about that later) with good A/C, I couldn't open the window wide which would have been my preference but it wasn't the end of the world. Bed linen was immaculately clean, the bed itself - very firm. TV reception was poor on most channels with very little entertainment choice - plenty of news channels!

The shower looks fabulous but I disappointed by the actual output of the giant showerhead, that was until I tried to leave the shower cubicle and found that the water had been pouring from the joint in the ceiling and had showered the entire bathroom with water covering the floor and out into the hallway and onto the bedroom carpet. Everything in the bathroom was soaked including powerpoints. Manoevuring carefully out of the bathroom I promptly slipped on the tiles in the hallway, falling heavily on one knee and cutting a finger on the edge of the tile. I called to ask for someone to come and clean up the water as all of the towelling products provided in the room did not come close to soaking it all up. I was promised an immediate response. 20 minutes later I called again and this time some cleaning staff did arrive within 30 minutes together with the duty manager and customer relations.

Breakfast was predominantly buffet service, with hot dishes prepared to order. An excellent choice was available, the staff friendly and helpful. Seating options are available both in and outside.

Overall the hotel has the potential to be a good four star business hotel/transit hotel; my experience and the way it was handled unfortunately soured my experience - as such I will not return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ali K, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Madam,

Greetings from the Boma, Nairobi!!!

First and foremost i wish to thank you for staying with us during your past visit to Nairobi and for your utmost sincere feedback. It is our mission to ensure that all our guests are accorded the best service but clearly at this instant we did not meet your expectations.

On behalf of the hotel management, i wish to apologise for the inconveniences caused from the slow check in process, delayed response from our team and for falling due to the slippery floor tiles.

I have communicated to all my colleaques responsible and we are putting measures to ensure that it does not occur again to you and all our guests.

I am happy that you enjoyed your meals in the restaurant and that the service was good and request you to give us another opportunity to serve you better than your previous visit.

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotels | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000| (cell) +254 719 050 000
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a very good place to stay your first or last night in Nairobi, as it is near the airport - 15 minutes by car on a Sunday morning. The hotel was inaugerated just a few months ago when we stayed. It looks very nice and staff is great. There was a problem with noise (A/C unit + outside fan) in the room we got, but the staff were very helpful and switched us to a different room.

There's not much near the hotel, but there are two good restaurants in the hotel. Very good gym! Pool area is OK, but a bit noisy due to a fan outlet one floor below the pool. Choose your sunbed with care, as some areas have less noise than others. The hotel really should fix this fan issue though, as you hear the fan in all rooms facing the pool, even on the top floor.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the pool area as there is a huge fan outlet which you will hear in your room, eve...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!