“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Scherpenheuvel, Belgium
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at The Boma during a short business trip to Nairobi. In general, I had a very good experience: nice, clean and spatious room, good services, nice (and quiet) swimming pool, very good breakfast buffet. I also enjoyed the restaurant near the entrance. The staff was very friendly, and that's maybe a negative point: staff was a little bit 'too' friendly, asking severall time a day if I was enjoying my stay etc. Also the charge for a late check-out was quite high. But in general, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ali K, Front Office Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Sir,

Greetings from the Boma, Nairobi, 'Hospitality with a Conscious'

First and foremost, i wish to thank you for choosing the Boma for your recent visit to Nairobi. We are happy that our product and services met your expectations and we will endeavor to ensure that we continue at the same pace.

We have also noted your comments on the friendliness of the staff and the day room charges which we are addressing fully.

Thank you once again for making the Boma your recommended hotel and looking forward to hosting you in your next visit to Nairobi.

Kind Regards,

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotel | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000 (cell) +254 719 050 000

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Liphook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a new hotel, opened in October 2012'ish. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful, they had good local knowledge and were always able to point me in the right direction. The rooms are excellent, the best rooms I have stopped in whilst here in Nairobi. Comfortable beds, plenty of room and and very well laid out with tea/cooffe making facilities, a fridge and free wifi throughout. The hotel suffered many power outages but they have backup generators which kick in very quickly and so do not unduly affect you.
It is fairly close to the airport, about 20 minutes and they offer collection to and from the airport (at a price $20 per person).
I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights and have been thoroughly impressed with its cleanliness and friendliness and will not hesitate to stay here again in the future and recommend it to others that plan to come to Nairobi. It is by far the best hotel in Nairobi that I have stayed in so far (have stayed in 4 others until now).
Well done and keep up the outstanding start that you have done so far.

Room Tip: Looked in a few of them whilst having a nose around and they all seem comparable so I wouldn't b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Boma Nairobi is still in the 'soft opening' stage, meaning that not all of their facilities are open yet. But with a few teething issues to resolve such as in room information (extension directory, television directory, etc.) the hotel already provides a great standard of service with well designed, comfortable rooms and friendly, efficient service.

I had their lunch buffet which offered a nice selection of very fresh food as well as some spectacular desserts that looked like something from "The Great British Bake Off". I later learned that their executive chef is from Scotland.

The hotel is managed by Mugo Maringa, A native Kenyan veteran with many years experience, he was on hand to meet guests and ensure people were enjoying their stay.

The hotel is owned by the Red Cross as an investment to generate jobs and funds to reinvest in helping Kenyans. Working on this non-profit concept, it means that it is not just a great place to stay, but a great place to help give back to the people of Kenya that are in need.

Room Tip: I had a deluxe room which was a bit larger.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Boma for 1 night, 25th September 2012.
The hotel seems to have just opened, in fact some promotional video was being recorded.
The staff were extremely cordial, service excellent in all respects.
At the price I paid, the hotel is incomparable with anything Nairobi has to offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Monument, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at The Boma from Oct. 9 - 28, 2012 and had a wonderful time. Our group was there on business with a team of 12 and everyone was well catered for and comfortable. Staff were able to react quickly and efficiently to requests including special dietary considerations and laundry late at night. All rooms were clean, well furnished and well equipped. After just two days all the staff new my name and greeted me warmly whenever we met. Gym and spa facilities next door are sufficient and provide value. We also used the conference facilities next door and they were very satisfactory. Definitely will return!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the northeast side of the hotel for both views and sunlight consideratio...
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at The Boma Nairobi during the week of October 15 and had a great experience. From my first contact with the elegantly dressed bellmen to my departure on October 20 every single contact with the staff contributed to a memorable experience. My room was large, beautifully furnished, clean and well equipped with all the amenities to facilitate a great business trip.

Excellent food and service in the Johari Restaurant. consistent quality, consistently. Thanks to Restaurant Manager George and his fine team of Christabel, Jared, and Alfred who provided impeccable service to our group. Mr. Thomas Malului, Food & Beverage Service Manager congratulations on the great job you are doing. Johari's hostesses Keziah and Saadia, always smiling, warm and gracious, you made us feel special everytime.

Thanks Thureya, Faith, Daisy & Hilda for your contribution to this memorable experience. Please continue to make excellence your minimum standard.

Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a really thoughtfully created hotel which I much appreciated, having been to many conference hotels in Africa that are not done well or with thought for the business traveller.

My bedroom was roomy, had lots of power sockets in the right places and was well organised and designed. My one BIG niggle was that the bed was hard as nails and I woke each morning feeling bruised, stiff and sore enough to take pain killers through the day. If I had been there longer than two nights I would have demanded another room with a softer bed. I did ask staff about it and one staff member told me that it was because it had rained that I was so sore!

My other niggle was due to the staff: absolutely delightful and beautifully trained. The one thing that I didn't like is that they were VERY informal with me, from the guy who met me at the airport who called me by my Christian name, to the lobby staff and room maid doing likewise. This is NOT Kenyan, nor African at all and I don't like to be so informally addressed by anybody I haven't met before. Probably me being very stuffy, but I've been visiting, staying in and living in Kenya and elsewhere in East Africa for over 45 years and this is just not the culture here.

The food was wonderful, and consistently high quality, and the meeting rooms in the conference centre were excellent.

A very high class hotel, but the bed and the abnormally informal staff are my two niggles which would stop me from going there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!