“New hotel with high marks for convenience and service + a chance to help Kenya” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Boma Nairobi is still in the 'soft opening' stage, meaning that not all of their facilities are open yet. But with a few teething issues to resolve such as in room information (extension directory, television directory, etc.) the hotel already provides a great standard of service with well designed, comfortable rooms and friendly, efficient service.

I had their lunch buffet which offered a nice selection of very fresh food as well as some spectacular desserts that looked like something from "The Great British Bake Off". I later learned that their executive chef is from Scotland.

The hotel is managed by Mugo Maringa, A native Kenyan veteran with many years experience, he was on hand to meet guests and ensure people were enjoying their stay.

The hotel is owned by the Red Cross as an investment to generate jobs and funds to reinvest in helping Kenyans. Working on this non-profit concept, it means that it is not just a great place to stay, but a great place to help give back to the people of Kenya that are in need.

Room Tip: I had a deluxe room which was a bit larger.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Boma for 1 night, 25th September 2012.
The hotel seems to have just opened, in fact some promotional video was being recorded.
The staff were extremely cordial, service excellent in all respects.
At the price I paid, the hotel is incomparable with anything Nairobi has to offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Monument, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at The Boma from Oct. 9 - 28, 2012 and had a wonderful time. Our group was there on business with a team of 12 and everyone was well catered for and comfortable. Staff were able to react quickly and efficiently to requests including special dietary considerations and laundry late at night. All rooms were clean, well furnished and well equipped. After just two days all the staff new my name and greeted me warmly whenever we met. Gym and spa facilities next door are sufficient and provide value. We also used the conference facilities next door and they were very satisfactory. Definitely will return!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the northeast side of the hotel for both views and sunlight consideratio...
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at The Boma Nairobi during the week of October 15 and had a great experience. From my first contact with the elegantly dressed bellmen to my departure on October 20 every single contact with the staff contributed to a memorable experience. My room was large, beautifully furnished, clean and well equipped with all the amenities to facilitate a great business trip.

Excellent food and service in the Johari Restaurant. consistent quality, consistently. Thanks to Restaurant Manager George and his fine team of Christabel, Jared, and Alfred who provided impeccable service to our group. Mr. Thomas Malului, Food & Beverage Service Manager congratulations on the great job you are doing. Johari's hostesses Keziah and Saadia, always smiling, warm and gracious, you made us feel special everytime.

Thanks Thureya, Faith, Daisy & Hilda for your contribution to this memorable experience. Please continue to make excellence your minimum standard.

Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a really thoughtfully created hotel which I much appreciated, having been to many conference hotels in Africa that are not done well or with thought for the business traveller.

My bedroom was roomy, had lots of power sockets in the right places and was well organised and designed. My one BIG niggle was that the bed was hard as nails and I woke each morning feeling bruised, stiff and sore enough to take pain killers through the day. If I had been there longer than two nights I would have demanded another room with a softer bed. I did ask staff about it and one staff member told me that it was because it had rained that I was so sore!

My other niggle was due to the staff: absolutely delightful and beautifully trained. The one thing that I didn't like is that they were VERY informal with me, from the guy who met me at the airport who called me by my Christian name, to the lobby staff and room maid doing likewise. This is NOT Kenyan, nor African at all and I don't like to be so informally addressed by anybody I haven't met before. Probably me being very stuffy, but I've been visiting, staying in and living in Kenya and elsewhere in East Africa for over 45 years and this is just not the culture here.

The food was wonderful, and consistently high quality, and the meeting rooms in the conference centre were excellent.

A very high class hotel, but the bed and the abnormally informal staff are my two niggles which would stop me from going there again.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Though we live and work in Nairobi, my wife and I decided to give ourselves a treat and stay at The Boma for Friday night. The stay was amazing. We both have been to hotels and restaurants both within and outside the country for similar treats but The Boma is surely in a class of its own.

I have to state that the food in The Boma is amazing and presented in such an incredible way that you feel like just gazing at the plate for fear of spoiling the layout. The buffet though was in the "meets expectation" category.

You will also realize that a lot of thoughts went into the design of the hotel both in the interior and exterior. However, I did see some slight design flows in some of the public bathrooms - I believe this can easily be rectified.

I think The Boma is the place that I would definitely want to go back to and especially for their food. An excellent hotel that I would recommend others to also come and experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

A 12 day work assignment was made a whole lot better by staying at the Boma hotel. I have stayed in a few hotels in Nairobi and The Boma is excellent. The food is amazing, well presented and excellent quality. The staff are friendly and ready to assist. The gentleman at the concierge remembered our names during the course of our stay, which surprised us when he first addressed us. Raymond and Job were excellent and always smiling. The staff try hard, please give them more authority at the front desk. Will be back in 3 weeks, hopefully the stay will be just as good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!