“Business Travel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

Save Saved
You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Monument, Colorado
“Business Travel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at The Boma from Oct. 9 - 28, 2012 and had a wonderful time. Our group was there on business with a team of 12 and everyone was well catered for and comfortable. Staff were able to react quickly and efficiently to requests including special dietary considerations and laundry late at night. All rooms were clean, well furnished and well equipped. After just two days all the staff new my name and greeted me warmly whenever we met. Gym and spa facilities next door are sufficient and provide value. We also used the conference facilities next door and they were very satisfactory. Definitely will return!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the northeast side of the hotel for both views and sunlight consideratio...

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at The Boma Nairobi during the week of October 15 and had a great experience. From my first contact with the elegantly dressed bellmen to my departure on October 20 every single contact with the staff contributed to a memorable experience. My room was large, beautifully furnished, clean and well equipped with all the amenities to facilitate a great business trip.

Excellent food and service in the Johari Restaurant. consistent quality, consistently. Thanks to Restaurant Manager George and his fine team of Christabel, Jared, and Alfred who provided impeccable service to our group. Mr. Thomas Malului, Food & Beverage Service Manager congratulations on the great job you are doing. Johari's hostesses Keziah and Saadia, always smiling, warm and gracious, you made us feel special everytime.

Thanks Thureya, Faith, Daisy & Hilda for your contribution to this memorable experience. Please continue to make excellence your minimum standard.

Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a really thoughtfully created hotel which I much appreciated, having been to many conference hotels in Africa that are not done well or with thought for the business traveller.

My bedroom was roomy, had lots of power sockets in the right places and was well organised and designed. My one BIG niggle was that the bed was hard as nails and I woke each morning feeling bruised, stiff and sore enough to take pain killers through the day. If I had been there longer than two nights I would have demanded another room with a softer bed. I did ask staff about it and one staff member told me that it was because it had rained that I was so sore!

My other niggle was due to the staff: absolutely delightful and beautifully trained. The one thing that I didn't like is that they were VERY informal with me, from the guy who met me at the airport who called me by my Christian name, to the lobby staff and room maid doing likewise. This is NOT Kenyan, nor African at all and I don't like to be so informally addressed by anybody I haven't met before. Probably me being very stuffy, but I've been visiting, staying in and living in Kenya and elsewhere in East Africa for over 45 years and this is just not the culture here.

The food was wonderful, and consistently high quality, and the meeting rooms in the conference centre were excellent.

A very high class hotel, but the bed and the abnormally informal staff are my two niggles which would stop me from going there again.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Though we live and work in Nairobi, my wife and I decided to give ourselves a treat and stay at The Boma for Friday night. The stay was amazing. We both have been to hotels and restaurants both within and outside the country for similar treats but The Boma is surely in a class of its own.

I have to state that the food in The Boma is amazing and presented in such an incredible way that you feel like just gazing at the plate for fear of spoiling the layout. The buffet though was in the "meets expectation" category.

You will also realize that a lot of thoughts went into the design of the hotel both in the interior and exterior. However, I did see some slight design flows in some of the public bathrooms - I believe this can easily be rectified.

I think The Boma is the place that I would definitely want to go back to and especially for their food. An excellent hotel that I would recommend others to also come and experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

A 12 day work assignment was made a whole lot better by staying at the Boma hotel. I have stayed in a few hotels in Nairobi and The Boma is excellent. The food is amazing, well presented and excellent quality. The staff are friendly and ready to assist. The gentleman at the concierge remembered our names during the course of our stay, which surprised us when he first addressed us. Raymond and Job were excellent and always smiling. The staff try hard, please give them more authority at the front desk. Will be back in 3 weeks, hopefully the stay will be just as good.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Boma is Nairobi's newest Gem; a 5 Star hotel owned by the Red Cross; and with a decor and ambience of an international top ranking; Ideally located by the Airport on Mombassa road, the staff and very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is world class. A perfect stay after being in the out-back.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Thank God for birthdays! Owing to mine, i got a package night away at the Boma Inn in Nairobi's South C area and I happily took my sister along. The hotel's owned by the Red Cross and all profits go towards their missions but i tell u, it's nothing like what I expected. I'd imagined a clinic-like sort of place where there'd be refugees or sick people at a dispensary adjacent to a very basic structure that's more like a decent bed and breakfast. Surprise! The Boma Inn, tucked away in a residential area along the main road to the airport is a beautiful hotel that's a perfect getway even if you live in the city like me!

It's unofficially open as final touches are being added to the hotel, but it hugs u with a warm sense of luxury and friendliness from some of the staff. The arcitecture is beatiful and something about it reminds me of being on board a luxury ferry from Dover to Calais.

It has geat lounges where you can meet with people for business or pleasure without much interruption, and perhaps make a friend or two. The rooms are elegantly furnished, have good internet access and a convenient office-like desk and chair you can work on if you have any pending assignments. If you're into gym, steam, pool and sauna and massages, you can get here. I tried the hot lava stone massage which is full body, expertly done and leaves you feeling absoultely great afterwards. Trust me, I discovered muscles i never knew i had!

The food is generally good and you will find the odd dish here and there that has your tastebuds buzzing in the most pleasant way. Away from the main hotel dinning room, the food served in one of the alternative restaurants was a little wanting. The menu's great but the actual preparation of the food could use a little more expertise. I had ordered someting that had pork and i got two pieces, one very tasty and well-done, the other slightly undercooked. To it was added a strange version of a local delicacy popularly known as 'mutura' - the african sausage (I didn;t know this beforehand but the waiter gladly explained it to me). It turned up looking like two perfectly sliced burnt pieces of aubergine and had me reaching for my drink - it didn't taste good at all. The chicken that arrived on my sister's plate was anything but tasty - hospital food to be exact. As it turns out (a waitress later explained), it's actually recommended for the sick, it's just that the menu didn't state it. Well alright, so perhaps the menu needs to be re-written on some parts and one of the chefs should reconsider his/her career choice, at least the service here is really good and they take care of you very nicely. The highlight of the our stay here foodwise was actually the afternoon tea. The hotel pastries are amazing. Apparently, the pastry chef is a legend and highly sought after - our tastebuds completely agreed! You simply must try the cheesecake - it has to be the best one i've ever tasted yet!

The one thing i really didn't like at all about the hotel is that some of the staff have a strange problem; befire you acess any of the services, they keep asking who's paying for it. Now, I would think that when you have a package as we did, it is clearly stated who's doing that and when you have room keys, you sign for your meals. These guys in the main dinning room were so anxious it's scary. At the reception you find a mixed bag - the downright unfriendly and the ones who make you believe they were made to do this kind of work and are very professional, friendly and helpful, adding that touch of 'magic' to your stay.
All in all, the Boma is really quite impressive and comfort is the word. Try it.

Room Tip: The rooms to the left of the pool have a nicer view of the city.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Boma Nairobi? Share your experiences!