“Tea bag in my late...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #219 of 315 restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
“Tea bag in my late...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The place is small and it was very, very crowded and laud, not possible to hear the person next to you talking... I ordered a late with cardamon and, to my surprise, I got a tea bag in it. To compensate, they brought another late, which was terribly, terribly, terribly sweet (to "compensate" for my complaint as well? I do not know) and I could not drink even half of it. I do not know about the food they serve, but if the cakes are of the same quality as they are in Dormans at Yaya, than it is nothing to write home about... It took a while to get the bill, the girls were really slow, there was a bunch of them and they were not all so busy... And it was not really cheep. The only advantage over Java (which is right across the street) is wifi.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

66% Recommend
Nairobi, Kenya
“Shock on me at Dormans opposite International House”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was in shock with my experience at Dormans opposite International House. This was in Sept 2013.
The service is poor. I returned to the counter severally to ask for cutlery and then to pay my bill as the wait service was just lustre and gave no attention. Young people who are not alert. At the counter I cannot get my cutlery because the next young person there believes it is the duty of waiter to attend to this.
The vegetable samosas arrive. Very large, very oily and the taste of thick dough in my mouth. I ended up eating the vegetable filling.It was traumatic.Train the cook on samosa making.
Value for money? I was in shock. Is this the same Dormans? It will take awhile before I return

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Nairobi's Panera...with better coffee.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I stopped at Dormans for lunch in in mid-June. I ordered the caprese sandwich and a coffee. The place and menu reminded me a lot of a Panera Bread with an African flavor. The sandwich was pretty good, especially at about $4. The coffee was great! Of course, when the coffee is picked and roasted within 50 miles of where you drink it, it should be good. The place was very busy, and the staff was swamped, but they were pleasant. Overall, I'd like to return.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food...fresh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The food is always great, staff polite and responsive.

I especially love the strawberry smoothies and the paninis. A good place to catch up with a friend.

Visited May 2013
Nairobi
“My "go-to" breakfast joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is my favorite place to have a quiet breakfast right in town.

The Pemba Latte Machiato is my favorite along with their healthy breakfast - Muesli soaked in yogurt, drizzled with honey & with some fruit topping. The food is also always good..& same goes to their snacks.

I like the place since its quiet, cozy & service is always great.

• Visited May 2013