“Not value for your money!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hartebeest Camp and Guest House

You added Hartebeest Camp and Guest House to your Saves list
Hartebeest Camp and Guest House
2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Kibera Road, off Ngongad, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #51 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Ontario, New York
“Not value for your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

The pictures on the website is NOT close to the real thing. The room was dirty and I didn’t even feel like sitting on the bed.
There were holes in the carpets and the curtain looked like they had dirt on them that were 2 years old, the one toilet was dirty
and it looked like the ceiling was about to fall in.

The management and service was also a bit on the “SLOW” side.
I for example after paying (cash) I had to asked for an invoice showing that I have done the full payment,
they then said they will provided me with an invoice later…odd.

This was a very disappointing experience and I will definitely not recommend Hartebeescamp,
in my opinion there are places in Nairobi that will provide much better value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cape town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We booked for 2 nights and when we got there it didn't looked closely as on the website. The carpet on the stairs were filthy and had lots of holes in it with cement coming through! The double room's carpet were so filthy that I didn't wanted to take my shoes off. The curtain railings were bent 45 degrees and hanging from the wall. The shared bathroom looked liked a cupboard just outside our door so we had to listen to everyone showering. When we wanted to leave and wanted our money back, the manager refused after we booked in less than 5 minutes previously. He said their were no/little other guest and that he is losing money. He then suggested a upgrade which had its own bathroom but wE had to pay even more! Will not recommend it to any one!

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel on booking.com. I booked a dorm bed but when I arrived I was taken up to a triple room. I was meant to be paying $20 but instead had to pay $35. After the long journey to Nairobi I was happy to get a room on my own and do this. I could have gone and stayed in the dorm but was glad of their mistake.
The triple room was nice, however it only had a mosquito net over the double bed. The mosquito net was a bit smelly. Apart from that the room was adequately clean. I would suggest that they get some mosquito nets on their windows though as the amount of mosquitoes in the room by the end of the night was unreal!!
The food was lovely. Even though there was a big menu they didn't have much on it. I had vegetable curry with chapatti for both lunch and dinner!
In the morning I was treated with and omelette, sausage, some toast and a cup of tea.
The staff were lovely, funny and very helpful.
Wifi was great.
They had a poor little cat who just wandered the place crying. Random!
I had a great sleep as it is set in a quiet environment.
Overall very good value for money. Would recommend this place to anyone visiting Nairobi!

• Stayed September 2013
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I booked this because my regular guesthouse was full tonight and so I am sitting at Hartebeest writing this review. At $35 through booking.com for a private room (higher rate than other hotels) I had arrived at Hartebeest and at 4pm waited for one hour for my room to be 'cleaned' (WHAT A JOKE). When you first arrive, you notice the large I guess it would be victorianish style house which was quite impressive, so they then led me to my room which I was thinking was upstairs but it was around the back of the house. They opened the door and there it was, a CLOSET space with JUST enough room for a bed and a couch in front of it (whats the point to the couch, no tv or anything). Literally was thinking I might be in Tokyo. Wifi didn't work, so I had asked for another room.

Now I'm in the Dorm room with 10 other beds on the top of the house, which, I have to admit is much nicer. However they wouldn't give me back any money ($35 for private and $20 for dorms) as their reasoning was no one else was staying here. The one shower is shared and the one toilet (could only imagine if this place was full)!

The garden is nice, the bar/restaurant looks good and it is in close proximity to a few shopping areas, the wifi is also decent. However for quality of sleep, for room size, value it is not adequate. Look for other similar hotels such as Khweza that offer the same rates for your own bathroom and privacy.

Oh well some more rip offs in Nairobi go figure!

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay, use the dorms, privates are disgusting and embarrassing unless the price is abo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Badulla, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

It is a place for those who are on budget. But clean rooms, Friendly staff, and super delicious food for reasonable prices !

Breakfast included and towels are provided.

Very quite area and nice upstairs balcony with a table and chairs giving a good view from up there. If you are a bird watcher great place to spend sometime in the morning and evenings sipping some tea or coffee or if like there is a bar as well.

..and there are several super markets, banks [exchange], shopping mall all within walking distance.

I would definitely recommend to anybody on a budget.

Still being sharing bathroom and toilet I guess at-least the bathroom should be renovated.

Room Tip: If you are solo just get a dorm bed. most probably you'll be alone. Upstairs rooms and Dorm is...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is an old building transformed into a hostel. The location is fine - close to a mall and just out of the center. A taxi takes about 5 minutes to the center if there are no traffic jams (rarely). You can probably walk downtown as well. The room we stayed in had 3 beds and another was provided so our family of 4 could easily stay in the room. This room also had a private bathroom with a hot shower.
The only problem was the sleep quality during the weekend when there was a loud party in a center in vicinity. On other nights it was calm and sleeping quite ok.
The staff is very helpful.
For the price we paid I give it a positive. If we return to Nairobi we would probably choose it again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We found it difficult to find midrange accommodation in Nairobi. Hartebeest charges 40 USD on booking.com for a double with shared toilet/bathroom. The place has a hostel feel, with at least one dorm room, and two toilets plus one (hot) shower in the main building. Value wise it was the pick of the bunch, although with hindsight it would have been better and cheaper to camp at one of the handful of overlander friendly places in town. The place seems to be run by one poor woman, who juggled cooking, serving and front desk duties (we waited an hour for an average and pricey dinner). Rooms are basic and beds are clean. There is free and decent wifi, which is a big plus.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hartebeest Camp and Guest House? Share your experiences!